Overwrite custom camoflague for House colors and camo during faction matches?

16 replies to this topic

Poll: Make players temporarily use faction camo during faction battles? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Make players temporarily use faction camo during faction battles?

1. Yes, it would be great for the immersion factor. (27 votes [34.62%])

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

2. No, because 'mech customization is a cornerstone of MW:O. (12 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. While I do really like the idea of uniform colors during faction battles, I'm unsure about forcing people into it. (34 votes [43.59%])

Percentage of vote: 43.59%

4. Other choice, I'll post and tell you what I think. (5 votes [6.41%])

Percentage of vote: 6.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I personally have mixed feelings on this, and I was curious what you guys thought.

If you've sworn allegiance to a House and are fighting in it's military in the faction wars matches, should players have their camouflage temporarily replaced with faction camo for the duration of the match?

I was also thinking players could pick from a pre-set list of canon faction camo to use during those matches, so they'd still have some choices.

At the same time, I'm wary about forcing players to use certain color schemes, even if it would add a lot of cohesion to the faction battles, and make sense lore-wise.

Mercenaries would obviously use whatever they wanted.

#2 Bucannen85

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Man what a good question. I think I'm about where you are on this.

#3 Hive Rat

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

I like the idea of limiting faction battles to the bonus skins you get for faction loyalty rank, or just the basic skin if you don't have any faction loyalty benefits.

#4 Papertarget

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNo-where Kansas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

To keep in the customization of MW:O, why not make it optional to wear your "House Colors", or your "Unit Colors", or a form of camo you yourself create through the utility? To have the House Colors be mandatory, will really detract from things, I think. Also, it would make the Vanity side of purchases be relitively useless.

#5 NWHHarrier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 352 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

I too am unsure, but I keep thinking about being in an actual game and how that plays out....basically the team colors won't matter primarily because your targeting computer will eliminate the IFF guesswork. Beyond that it's up to you to coordinate with your lance/company but I don't see it being a big issue, again because of the built in IFF. Then again idk if ECM can futz with that....but then again a BAP can probably see through it...?

God I really wanna play lol

edit: Don't faction unit camo schemes have enough variation that they might as well be, for the most part, any random or independent faction? I'm not a paint scheme expert by any means but not all Liao units incorporate that bright lima bean green do they?

Edited by NWHHarrier, 12 July 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#6 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

There we go. The best of both worlds. Camo and house decals.
Posted Image

#7 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostHive Rat, on 12 July 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

I like the idea of limiting faction battles to the bonus skins you get for faction loyalty rank, or just the basic skin if you don't have any faction loyalty benefits.

Now that would be really cool. It adds another perk to rising in rank. :)

#8 Tezkat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm not too fond of the idea. Some of us will be putting a lot of work into making our rides look just so, possibly to the point of forking out real $$$ for premium paint.

Furthermore, in canon terms, it doesn't really make sense. Even among the regular brigades of a faction military, there's really no such thing as a single "House" colour scheme for a mech. Each division has their own distinctive paint jobs and insignias.

#9 Jukebox1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGermany, Niedersachsen, Göttingen

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

I voted yes. I´m a Mercenary, so i like the idea of every House comes in the right colour. Than it´s like: Red (for example) is the good colour, i just have to shoot a the other colours.

I know that this requires faction/merc fighting, but i still hope we can have larger battles where houses and allied merc-companies can fight side by side.

#10 Groundstain

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and there.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Your personal clan colors. I'm sure that there is a way to do this without being a burden on the devs. like doing the work yourselves. Then the only things the devs. need to do is OK the changes and implement the code.
They can do this through a design contest so that a reasonable amount of clan colors can be implemented per "month"

#11 JFlash49

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationKingston

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

make it optional i suppose some people hate the idea of uniform

#12 Protection

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

What about a 'Tabard' system, sort of like what (vanilla) WoW did. I never played WoW, but as I understood it you could customize your appearance however, but a section of your clothing would be a 'guild' colour and logo. So you could still be unique by having your own flare or style to add to the team/faction colour.

#13 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Why not have custom paint jobs, but keep one part of the 'mech, no matter what, dedicated to the House they're fighting with? Like the right shoulder for spiders if they are with the FRR, or the crotch plate for the Dracs if they are in a Jenner?

#14 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Your question is hard to interpret. If by custom skins you mean skins that people have to unlock/pay for I see no reason to force it. If by custom skins you mean a person edits their skin in an app and imports it then I am 99% against that so in that case yes force custom skins off.

As for my 1%... units should be able to make and submit a skin for review if approved the unit leader should have to pay for it and it unlocks for all members. In this case you will find most people who are proud of their unit will wear the skin for that reason alone. even if it looks terrible

#15 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Camouflage CAN play an important role on a mech regardless of technology and IFF.

-Shutdown mech in the woods with woodland camouflage will like it
-IFF jamming gear might make targeting harder or at least require you to be within range.

For the those (me included) in their hot pink atlases with flames on the sides it wont matter - we will be like a heavily armed pride parade regardless of IFF, shutdown mech or even if we had a pink planet to hide in.

Depending on how seriously one takes the game (up to a point) It would be up for the groups themselves if they want some specific camoflage.

#16 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

From reading the Mech skill tree back in Dev-Blog 4.2, when you reach "Elite" status you unlock an extra special skin for your faction (including mercs & lone wolves?). If that skin is picked from a list then 12 elite players will probaly have 12 different paint jobs anyway. The only thing they'll have in common is the faction decal. Forcing them to adopt any kind of uniform look is worse than pointless. It would also cripple the cosmetics market, which is where PGI could reasonably expect to make a good deal of money otherwise.

Also, even within a single company, camo schemes vary widely because they are painted on in the field by the crews themselves. Just look at some pictures from WW2 to see how a single paint job can be interpreted very differently by different people using whatever paint they could scrounge up. So I vote no overriding paint jobs. But I expect to see everyone flagging for their faction.

#17 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

I like the idea, but people should never be forced to do something they don't want to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users