Mw4 Series Under Windows 10

22 replies to this topic

#1 Hamm3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

I've been doing some searching and haven't come up with much, I dug out my old MW4 disks and wanted to play them again. Has anybody been able to get them to work under Windows 10 64bit? I have MW4, BK, Mercs, and both mech packs, as well as an old instillation of the MekTek Mercs before that got shut down. The MekTek version worked under 8 but now all I get is a black window that closes a few seconds later. I found a Reddit post about using dgvoodo but it doesn't really say how and I couldn't get it to work.

#2 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

I currently have MW4: Vengeance installed on my Windows 10 machine and working fine now. I installed them from my discs and initially it would not launch properly. So what I did was set the launch icon to Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, run it as administer, and patch the game to the latest Point Release Patch (3 I believe). The one final thing I did was try and deal with safedisc, as I suspect that this in itself was incompatible with Windows 10.

I haven't tried Mercs yet. The MekTek version did work on Windows 8 before I upgraded, so I suspect there is a way to get it to work on Windows 10. I would probably try SP3 compatibility and run as administer to see if it does anything.

#3 Hamm3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

I'll give that a shot, Vengeance and BK installers popped right up and ran great, Mercs I cant even get the installer to load at all.

Edited by Hamm3r, 16 January 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#4 Hamm3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

Tried that and no difference, I tried to use a nocd patch and now it does the same thing as the MekTek mercs, black window pops up as if its trying to load then just closes, no mater what compatibility settings I try.

#5 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

Just tried installing Mercs from my disc now. Seems to be installing. I'll report back and let you know if it works.

#6 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostHamm3r, on 16 January 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

Tried that and no difference, I tried to use a nocd patch and now it does the same thing as the MekTek mercs, black window pops up as if its trying to load then just closes, no mater what compatibility settings I try.

Hmm that black window thing... yeah, I remember that. Only thing I can think of is try going into your autoconfigure program (should be in your start menu allapps/microsoft games/ folder), and try selecting your graphics card and setting your graphics from there. Then try relaunching it, with disc 2 in your drive, and see if that does anything.

Edited by Sylonce, 16 January 2016 - 10:37 AM.

#7 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

Ok, I got MW4: Mercs (Version 1.0 straight from the disc) to work, in exactly the same way I got Vengeance to work.

Just like with Vengeance, the launch executable needs to be set to "Run as Administrator", must be set to "Windows XP SP3" and compatibility mode. Additionally, I went into autoconfigure, put my graphics card in there and save that. And once again, it won't shows signs of life until safedisc is addressed.

One final thing I haven't mentioned is that I also change the security on my install directory. Normally, I just install it into the default c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\ folder. But inherently, there are issues with the Program Files (x86) folder that prevents certain changes done to the files (there is a name why this is the case, but I can't remember what). I would have to right-click on my microsoft games folder, click properties, go to security, and edit every entry there to give me full access.

But you don't have to go through all that if you just install the game straight to your C:\ drive.

(Also, I don't know why the installer isn't working on your end for Mercs. Have you tried just running setup.exe on your disc1)

Edited by Sylonce, 16 January 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#8 Hamm3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

You're having more luck then I am, autoconfig wont even load, although you did remind me of something, I seam to remember MW4 having issues if you didn't install it to the default directory, I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: Yea I did try running the setup from the mercs disk, it acts like its going to load but then does nothing at all.

Edited by Hamm3r, 16 January 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#9 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

Strange that you cannot get the setup to even work. Right-click and run as administrator?

#10 Hamm3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

Yea i tried that, still didn't work. Ohh well, I guess I can always build an XP machine for the retro gaming, probably the best way to go anyways.

#11 RaptorRage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLB-79

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

Might try adding the text /gosnovideo after mw4mercs.exe to the shortcut properties target line. May get beyond the black screen if that is still an issue, but if it works it probably skips the opening video and might make the placeholder screens for the IS/Clan packs look different on the main menu.

#12 Nicc Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNuevo León

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

MW4: Mercs installed from MTX works Fine

#13 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

View PostNicc Hunter, on 03 August 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

MW4: Mercs installed from MTX works Fine

my MTX doesnt even recognizes i got MW4 installed.

#14 SlyJJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:08 AM

Could anyone give a possible update on this? I remember the game working just fine when I had windows 8.1. Its since upgraded to 10 I think. In that long of time ive been MWO. Went to install and play and the game simply doesnt load. If I change the diplay settings under properties, it just black screen and nothing. Tried running it with the "no autoconfig" and other pararmeters, and nothing changes. Same with running all types of compatibility modes. Nothing seems to be working, nor does it seem to even be changing any issues.

For example, it took some time for even the auto config to work- "couldnt find txt document" for a bit. Then when I start autoconfig, it ALWAYS has low settings for graphics and when I click continue nothing else happens and settings are never saved.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to roll with my Fafnir

#15 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:08 AM

View PostSlyJJ, on 09 August 2016 - 06:08 AM, said:

Could anyone give a possible update on this? I remember the game working just fine when I had windows 8.1. Its since upgraded to 10 I think. In that long of time ive been MWO. Went to install and play and the game simply doesnt load. If I change the diplay settings under properties, it just black screen and nothing. Tried running it with the "no autoconfig" and other pararmeters, and nothing changes. Same with running all types of compatibility modes. Nothing seems to be working, nor does it seem to even be changing any issues.

For example, it took some time for even the auto config to work- "couldnt find txt document" for a bit. Then when I start autoconfig, it ALWAYS has low settings for graphics and when I click continue nothing else happens and settings are never saved.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to roll with my Fafnir

i pretty much got the same problem. nothing ever works, not even as admin. its just a black screen that pops up or nothing at all, not even a sign of whats not working

#16 Descendence

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

I've gotten my MW4 Mercs Mekpak able to run, but not for very long.

Every time I try to do successive missions w/o closing the program and starting it again I get the "Exception: Attempt to read from address" Error.

I've tried everything like the "/gosnovideo" and "-noautoconfig", downloading from various other sources, starting as admin and Win. XP SP 3 compatibility mode and the same thing occurs. Funny thing is, XP SP 3 is the only one the gives me precisely what it couldn't read while others just say "NULL from MW4Mercs". Sadly, the location of where the error occurred changes sometimes, so I can't pin down what the problem is.

Edit: Includes Instant Action and Campaign. Pretty much all of the Instant Action options are affected too.

Edited by Descendence, 09 August 2016 - 12:34 PM.

#17 Roach

• PipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 22 posts
  • Locationlurking in the shadows

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:50 AM

View PostSylonce, on 16 January 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

Ok, I got MW4: Mercs (Version 1.0 straight from the disc) to work, in exactly the same way I got Vengeance to work.

Just like with Vengeance, the launch executable needs to be set to "Run as Administrator", must be set to "Windows XP SP3" and compatibility mode. Additionally, I went into autoconfigure, put my graphics card in there and save that. And once again, it won't shows signs of life until safedisc is addressed.

One final thing I haven't mentioned is that I also change the security on my install directory. Normally, I just install it into the default c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\ folder. But inherently, there are issues with the Program Files (x86) folder that prevents certain changes done to the files (there is a name why this is the case, but I can't remember what). I would have to right-click on my microsoft games folder, click properties, go to security, and edit every entry there to give me full access.

But you don't have to go through all that if you just install the game straight to your C:\ drive.

(Also, I don't know why the installer isn't working on your end for Mercs. Have you tried just running setup.exe on your disc1)

Thank you for the tip to provide full access. No My grpahics settings are saved but the autoconfig does not see my AMD card. No srprise, a lot of games have this issue though the Intel GPU's poor performance prevents me from playing.

Any idea how to tell MW4 to use my AMD card? :)

Thank you!!

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

MW4 is not compatible with "Twin" video cards of the AMD or Geforce varieties.

Crossfire and whatever the other version is... You must have it set to use one video card when you want to play MW4.

This was the trouble I once had back when I had two lesser cards trying to act like a better card by linking them.

#19 Highflyer

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:06 PM

An old thread I know but this worked for me with mek tek
  • In the mek tek folder with the merc4.exe\Assets\Binaries\
  • Delete or rename imagehlp.dll.
  • Run autoconfig_MERCS.exe as administrator.
  • Select the correct GPU and setup options as preferred and click continue. You should now be able to run the game normally.

Edited by Highflyer, 21 August 2019 - 11:07 PM.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:04 AM

havent run it in anything newer than windows 7, and that requires some 3rd party hax. i used the mektek version as i still had the install files on one of my old backup drives.

mech3 still did work as of windows 8.1 (havent tried 10 yet) with some tweaks in the video drivers. and mechvm still runs fine on windows 7.

that said virtual machines are really good these days.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 August 2019 - 07:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users