Pick Mech>Vote -Or- Vote>Pick Mech?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:42 AM

In CW(Faction Play):
  • You get a 4-mech pool to pre-select before entering a game
In Public:
  • You "Select a Mech" (pretty much right beside the Mechlab feature) and enter a game, vote(likely for a map suited for your build/weight class)(or to increase your vote priority level...), and play the match
-My suggestion is that we separate the MECHLAB tab, and the SELECT MECH tab, and make the SELECT MECH tab as a feature much like the Voting screen.

Players will be able to select ideal mechs for specific maps(Polar Highlands gets voted, in goes my 6cLRM5 Vulture/Mad-dog whatever). Problem is the weight distribution may get unbalanced. This would disrupt the way of things completely for PGI. They would likely be bashed a lot by players since the change would be huge.(In CW their is a specified dropship tonnage limit you have to limit the full team tonnage, in Public just show us the specified team tonnage limit as we coordinate with our teams).

Right now though, Players can choose whichever mech they want to play with/grind in. Vote for a Map that fits their mech's build and continue.

The question is, "Do we want to co-ordinate with the entire 24-player lobby with... WHAT MAP (of 4 maps) DO WE WANT/NEED TO PLAY IN FOR THE MECH WE CHOSE... or... WHAT MECH (of ALL our mechs) DO WE WANT/NEED TO PLAY IN (knowing our team's mech selections as we make our own choice) FOR THE MAP WE CHOSE?"

If we were allowed to select a specific mech for whatever map we voted for, I suggest that PGI give us time to select our mechs to a specific team tonnage and coordinate what types of teams we want.(JUST LIKE CW in a way)
(Imagine a team getting 4 MDDs with lrms in one lance and the rest will support/rush/stay in front, or a 4 Jagermech lance, a 4 Cheetah lance(o.o as the nightmare scenario), a very fast team for say, or mainly Long-Range teams, mainly Close-range teams )

I'll end this off on what I thought that started this suggestion: Because I got bored a while ago of however Deathmatchy MWO is.
We need to coordinate with our teams! Not plan on what planet we all want to say devastate with giant walking tanks of destruction.
->NO LONGER WILL WE BLAME THE MAPS WE CHOSE LIKE THERMA OR THE TWIG-TRIPPING BOG, WE WILL BLAME WHAT MECHS WE CHOSE!
Fast teams on Therma! Or Alpine! So we can prioritize getting to the center.
SRMmetas and WUBmonsters for the Bog map! So we can rush into the claustrophobic areas that demand rushing only.

There's my rant. I just wanted to see if the community/PGI would like this mech-coordination based idea.
I want to see how anti-Deathmatch people are here. MW should be more coordinated imho. That's why there's no poll. Sorry.

Game on guys! o> Posted Image

Edited by Zephonarch II, 20 January 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#2 Necromantion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

This would be nice, of course tonnage balancing would be a problem and the amount of players who have no idea to optimize builds for specific maps would be hilarious

#3 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

1. Don't change Quick Play; It's supposed to be quick; Click, vote map, ready up, play.
The randomness of getting a map that doesn't suit your mech means you just have to adapt.

2. Do add a "Team Play" tab, which follows the suggestion of this thread.
It would be cool to have the opportunity to see the map & mode, then coordinate with teammates to decide who brings what and to meet the tonnage min/max limits. This would need like 3-4 minutes in the lobby to be done properly among 12 random strangers, but that's fine.
This would be the perfect middle-ground play mode between quick and CW.

So yeah, I agree with this thread, but only if it's added as a new separate type of game play mode, without changing what we already have.

Edited by Generic Internetter, 20 January 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#4 Mr Inconsistent

• PipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSydney

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:16 PM

I'd suggest be able to select a variant of the mech you've already chosen. That way people will select their long range for long range maps, their brawlers for close range, or a mix. Would encourage different load outs and also mean people keep more chassis variants, so good for PGI too.

Side note, also wish you could pick your camo based on map!

#5 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Quick Match: Vote, then Select Mech Template

Yes... "Template".
Let us save multiple templates for each mech (which includes loadout, weapon grouping, and camo selections). That way we can always make sure we go into battle with the exact configuration desired for the specific map and mode.

It wouldn't make sense in the lore, since you wouldn't be able to totally reconfigure while racing towards a battle zone. But then again, quick match is already a total deviation from lore. If it was strictly Clan vs IS, then that would at least be a first step for quick match being lore-compliant.

So yeah.... Let us save multiple templates per mech and select those after map vote in quick match.

Faction Play: Select Mech Template, then Join

Faction Play is based on the lore. Within the lore, let's face it, you wouldn't have time to re-fit your mech on the way to a battle. So yeah, whatever you have is what you fight in.

Roleplayers could probably pinpoint counter-examples; Fair enough, I'm just generalizing with common sense.

PGI... Come on mateys fix it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users