18 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

Wonderful, simply wonderful. Large enough to move, well done from a visual standpoint.

Been wanting a new map for some time. Thank you.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

kind of like a MUCH larger frozen Canyon Network, except every Mech can climb most of the "walls", I am finding it to be great.

#3 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

Been seeing complains about how the map lacks LRM cover. Not entirely true. Yesterday had a pug drop with no ECM on our side, so we darted to J6 area and fortified around that zone where there're a few buildings. We waited for them to come to us and roflstomped them at the price of two of us, one of which was my streakboat Jenner IIC.

#4 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

I *hate* when every time it falls on Polar Highlands, there's always some people complaining that "this map sucks" and "it's a LRM party" and... the one that makes my blood boil: "oh, we've already lost"

Already lost? This is MechWarrior, not Farmville. Within the lore of BattleTech/MechWarrior/ANYTHING, the participants dont get to choose or vote on where or how they fight.

THEY ADAPT

If you are getting hit by LRMs in PH, you're doing it wrong.
If you are getting pounded by ER LLs, you're doing it wrong.

Use the trenches. Peek and hillhump. Use your JJs if you have them.

List of maps with less anti-LRM cover than Polar Highlands:

1. Canyon Network
Get caught in one of those canyons = you're a target dummy. In PH, just run over a hill into the next trench.

2. Caustic Valley
Ohhh, so many big rocks to hide behind! So many mountains!
Errrr... Nope. Several big rocks and a few mountainous features separated by large open expanses. In PH, you're always within 50-100m of a trench, unless you're doing it wrong.

3. HPG Manifold
Hug those big blocks of metal panels. Walk away from the central point into the surrounding open area? Bad idea. HPG's cover is centered around the middle section. Everywhere else is very open.

4. Viridian Bog
What?! Yes, the bog has less cover than Poler Highlands. Sure there are little mesas to hide behind, and... Errr... A few trees...?
If you get caught in VB with your back to a long wall, you probably wont make it alllll the way around the big mesa to get cover. In PH, just duck back into a trench and "phew... safety".

5. Alpine Peaks
Oh come on... Do I really need to explain this one? It has mountains and between them... Trenches. Sound familiar?
Yeah... Except the trenches are 100m wide and a lot of the mountain faces can't be climbed.

SO PLEASE STOP WHINING ABOUT POLER HIGHLANDS. IT'S A FANTASTIC MAP THAT SERVES FOR LONG, MEDIUM, AND SHORT RANGE COMBAT.

If it was a remake of Mesa Desert, then yes, I would understand the "LRM / ER LL Whiners".

Edited by Generic Internetter, 22 January 2016 - 12:25 PM.

#5 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

thats funny i usually die before i can even come close do to lurms and snipers...

funny thing is tho is that it doesn'tseem as bad as caustic

#6 osakashogun

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

I love the level, but I don't find trenches to be adequate LRM cover when half the time there is a spotter behind you or a UAV overhead somewhere. I don't really get why anyone who drops near the J6 grid (near base in assault mode) would ever leave that area. You can just massacre the enemy and even hold up against being completely surrounded there as long as you use the cover. I've only lost one game there defending from J6, the rest have all been wins. As far as I'm concerned J6 is the only place to fight from if you are serious about all 12 mechs avoiding LRM's. But yeah, either way I'm glad we finally got a huge open level, even if it's just a bit too huge.

Edited by osakashogun, 03 February 2016 - 03:17 PM.

#7 Ashvins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:40 PM

IMO Polar Highlands is the WORST map they have yet made. Not for what many have complained about, (LRM SPAM) This map screws Assault mechs, plain and simple. Many assaults are SLOW, this map is not one you want a slow mech on. I've been keeping track of assault performance (match score) mine and other players and plain and simple assaults perform the worst on this map. (average of 20% lower match score for assaults) The one exception to this is Executioners, the biggest looser is Dire Wolfs.

Because of the slower speed of assaults they are often left behind completely or end up at the tail of the group getting pummeled by the enemy's fast mechs. In roughly 75% of the games I've played on this map one team's assaults are the first to die. Most of the time that team ends up loosing the match.

All of this is caused by the size of the map. The terrain is fine, the openness of the map is fine, the distances are NOT. On average it take's 3 minuets to even sight the enemy. Then another 2 to 3 to close into weapons range. By this time 1/3 of the match time is gone. Factor in assaults slower speed it's around 7 min before they can engage if long ranged. If the mech is a brawler it's closer to 10 before they can engage. Provided they haven't been killed already by lights & LRM boats.

In short this map negates the strengths of assaults considering the 15min time limit.

#8 1Grimbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

i love me some polar whether it's in the death's knell or a stalker, great scout friendly map with plenty of trenches for brawlers to move in

#9 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostAshvins, on 08 February 2016 - 07:40 PM, said:

IMO Polar Highlands is the WORST map they have yet made. Not for what many have complained about, (LRM SPAM) This map screws Assault mechs, plain and simple. Many assaults are SLOW, this map is not one you want a slow mech on. I've been keeping track of assault performance (match score) mine and other players and plain and simple assaults perform the worst on this map. (average of 20% lower match score for assaults) The one exception to this is Executioners, the biggest looser is Dire Wolfs.

Because of the slower speed of assaults they are often left behind completely or end up at the tail of the group getting pummeled by the enemy's fast mechs. In roughly 75% of the games I've played on this map one team's assaults are the first to die. Most of the time that team ends up loosing the match.

All of this is caused by the size of the map. The terrain is fine, the openness of the map is fine, the distances are NOT. On average it take's 3 minuets to even sight the enemy. Then another 2 to 3 to close into weapons range. By this time 1/3 of the match time is gone. Factor in assaults slower speed it's around 7 min before they can engage if long ranged. If the mech is a brawler it's closer to 10 before they can engage. Provided they haven't been killed already by lights & LRM boats.

In short this map negates the strengths of assaults considering the 15min time limit.

Never died to lurms on this map while piloting an assault. Actually I don't think I've ever died to lurms on PH come to think of it. I did lose a side torso to lurms while fighting 3 other mechs, but died to lasers fire. We we're losing hard at that point anyway.

#10 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:29 AM

Horrible map i wish i'd never see it again..

#11 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:49 AM

I like the map, partly because it's different to any other map
Polar plays differently as well which increases play style diversity in the game as a whole.

My first few games on the map I got wrecked, but after adjusting my play style and mech build things improved.
This map makes scouting an essential element which is only an optional extra on the other maps in my opinion.

Like any new map it will take time to learn the map.
To discover the map grids with cover and which map grids have no cover and should be avoided.
Just like any new map.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 09 February 2016 - 05:50 AM.

#12 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:04 AM

I really enjoy playing on this map. Honestly I wouldn't mind if they basically reskinned this map to add some new maps relatively quickly. For example, they could change it to sand dunes for a desert map; grass and trees for a forest map; rocky/mining map; a more alien-looking map. The possibilities are endless. I wish they'd do this with more of their maps, just so we have more variety.

#13 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostAWOL 01, on 09 February 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

I really enjoy playing on this map. Honestly I wouldn't mind if they basically reskinned this map to add some new maps relatively quickly. For example, they could change it to sand dunes for a desert map; grass and trees for a forest map; rocky/mining map; a more alien-looking map. The possibilities are endless. I wish they'd do this with more of their maps, just so we have more variety.

Dude, I'll I have to say is that is one great idea.

#14 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

"Dude, Domoneky...People want your opinion on Polar Highlands"
Not Now, Damnit! I'm Playing XCOM 2!
"They want your opinion."
XCOM 2!!!!
"On Polar Highlands..."
OH FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST!!! FINE! Polar Highlands is different. I like it. Reminds me of some old MechWarrior Maps plus trench warfare. HAPPY?!
"Maybe..."

#15 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

View PostDomoneky, on 09 February 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

"Dude, Domoneky...People want your opinion on Polar Highlands"
Not Now, Damnit! I'm Playing XCOM 2!
"They want your opinion."
XCOM 2!!!!
"On Polar Highlands..."
OH FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST!!! FINE! Polar Highlands is different. I like it. Reminds me of some old MechWarrior Maps plus trench warfare. HAPPY?!
"Maybe..."

Pretty much a ditto for me... Except replace XCOM2 with Fallout 4, and add "And I haven't died from LRMs yet on it."

#16 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

View PostKalimaster, on 09 February 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

Dude, I'll I have to say is that is one great idea.

Thanks! Seriously though, everyone loves Tourmaline.

Mountain Map - replace the spires with mountains
Posted Image

Desert/Mesa Map - replace the spires with buttes
Posted Image

Forest Map - large hills/mountains and those fancy new destructible trees they've been adding
Posted Image

#17 1Grimbane

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:17 AM

I wish pgi would release emerald taiga for solo queue

#18 ShockTrooper916

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

Worst map in any game ever. No landmarks, super lazy art design (the constant white gives me a headache), where the **** do you go?!? Plz remove

#19 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

The desert has no landmarks either, yet I can find my way around the dune sea and sandstone bluffs. I do appreciate your resurrection of this old thread, really I do. Yet their are landmarks. Bring up your battle grid, use your compass that is built into the HUD, Grid Squares. Everything is there that you could ever need. Great for fast Mechs like the Locust. Plenty of cover against line of sight long range weapon.
Don't worry too much. They are working on a new map and should be here come spring (2018) Posted Image.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users