36 replies to this topic

#1 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:04 AM

Any chance that native support in MWO is moving forward on this? Used the search function and haven't really come up with a good answer.
The last official word I can remember is back from the DK1 era where PGI said something to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "it's an interesting technology and we're keeping an eye on it."

Now the final SDK has shipped and the release version will be shipping to preorder customers starting in May. Cryengine does support the Rift, and I can't imagine a more immersive experience then sitting in the cockpit of my Nova and being able to *actually* look around. MWO is ideal for this technology and the basic building blocks for support are already there.

#2 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

View PostDustySkunk, on 25 January 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

Any chance that native support in MWO is moving forward on this? Used the search function and haven't really come up with a good answer.
The last official word I can remember is back from the DK1 era where PGI said something to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "it's an interesting technology and we're keeping an eye on it."

Now the final SDK has shipped and the release version will be shipping to preorder customers starting in May. Cryengine does support the Rift, and I can't imagine a more immersive experience then sitting in the cockpit of my Nova and being able to *actually* look around. MWO is ideal for this technology and the basic building blocks for support are already there.

I remember reading in Russ' Twitter that he played MWO with Rift... I don't know when the official support is going to be released, but it looks like it's almost done.

#3 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

PGI had a working prototype implementation back in October 2015 for sure.

#4 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:15 AM

There's 3D vision and headtracking, so shouldn't you be able to get it working already with a bit of tweaking?

#5 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

Everything I've seen says its coming. I would imagine that most titles with support won't really have full support out of the gates, though, so if its coming in May then we may be waiting a month or a few before its 100% there. Just an educated guess, though, really.

Either way, there is something to think about here: It has already been mentioned that GTX 970 or better is pretty much mandatory for smooth Oculus gaming on titles that will support it, and a 980 or higher is what is actually recommended. While some of us do have ridiculous systems, we still can't be sure that MWO performance will be up to snuff.

If you want to be the guy to benchmark it for us, that's awesome. We can let your multi-hundred dollar sacrifice be the guinea pig :)

#6 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone! I'm glad to know it's coming Posted Image

View PostxWiredx, on 25 January 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

<snip>

If you want to be the guy to benchmark it for us, that's awesome. We can let your multi-hundred dollar sacrifice be the guinea pig Posted Image

^^^ I absolutely will do this! You can count on me reporting my experience with YouTube vids and a full breakdown. It's the least I can do to give back to this community. Actually, xWiredx, I don't know if you remember but you helped me choose parts for my rig around this time last year. I'm happy to report she's still trucking along, will be the test subject for the Rift, and getting buttery smooth framrates in MWO these days.

Edit: now that I'm actually looking closer at the names on this thread, there are a few people that were involved in that process. Thank you all

Edited by DustySkunk, 25 January 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#7 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

View PostDustySkunk, on 25 January 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

Thanks for the info, everyone! I'm glad to know it's coming Posted Image

^^^ I absolutely will do this! You can count on me reporting my experience with YouTube vids and a full breakdown. It's the least I can do to give back to this community. Actually, xWiredx, I don't know if you remember but you helped me choose parts for my rig around this time last year. I'm happy to report she's still trucking along, will be the test subject for the Rift, and getting buttery smooth framrates in MWO these days.

Edit: now that I'm actually looking closer at the names on this thread, there are a few people that were involved in that process. Thank you all

My memory is unfortunately that of a goldfish.

#8 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 25 January 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

My memory is unfortunately that of a goldfish.

You can recover it with google-fu, and sometimes user profile.

http://mwomercs.com/...-potential-rig/

Edited by Flapdrol, 25 January 2016 - 01:11 PM.

#9 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:43 PM

I've tried HTC VIVE demo in CES, it's brilliant, has more sensors and uses lasers for tracking, better than Oculus.

https://www.htcvive.com

#10 Mormegil2

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:44 AM

View Postcx5, on 15 March 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

I've tried HTC VIVE demo in CES, it's brilliant, has more sensors and uses lasers for tracking, better than Oculus.

https://www.htcvive.com

If you're only interest is cockpit type games, the Vive doesn't add much. It lets you do "room scale" which is a LOT of fun, but is heavier and clunkier than the Rift. Choose wisely.

#11 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

I've messed around with Oculus DK2 in demo games, and I see one major issue with using it in MWO. Muzzle flash. Running something like a Mauler with ballistics on a dark map is going to be like playing with the light switch in a dark room, for the duration of any engagements. How fast can you give yourself a headache?

#12 n0kturnal

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:19 AM

I would use a Rift too but the developers seem dead :P I guess they prefer make mech packs cause get money from it and oculus is for the elite actually. Maybe in a couple of years? Who knows :P

#13 kelerian

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

Any news on this? Would be nice to try a VR version. There was reference to it happening long ago.

Edited by kelerian, 18 April 2016 - 05:12 PM.

#14 Daddy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

There was a mention during the official launch party where they had it setup and running that support would happen. Other then that we're all waiting in the weeds for any official reattach.

#15 Daddy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:01 PM

There quite a bit of history in the forms from the official channel saying it's coming.....

http://mwomercs.com/...513-gdc-update/

#16 xombiexplox

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

I've got my Oculus Rift CV1 just waiting for this update, haven't played MW:O in months but I'm looking forward to getting back into it with VR.

#17 Liangnah

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:49 PM

Just sitting in my virtual cockpit waiting to acquire some targets.

#18 Daddy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

Receive mine tomorrow.........

Give us the support we need.

Mechwarrior in VR is a dream we all want to come to reality!

#19 Spudbuckets

Rookie

• Overlord
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

I got my CV1 a couple days ago. If they need testers I am in. I'm technically a subpar video card for the Rift (GTX660) if that is helpful. I'm waiting on the 1080 to come out.

#20 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

I found a great solution to make a near native display with the Oculus CV1 that I posted this morning and will try to copy here...

I'm in Heaven!
I finally got full stereoscopic 3D with 92 FPS at all settings max on the Oculus Rift CV1-Here's how you do it:

1) Get Vorpx and make sure it's updated to the latest version (think it's 16.2.? now)

2)Use "Game Optimizer" settings and create a new profile by going to Local settings

3)in Local optimizer settings you will see a list of games -scroll down to "Crysis 2"

4) Select that and then select "create new profile" and change the name for your new profile (I went MWO)

5) Select the "Add" tab and find the MWO Client - should be in the Pirahna folder in either the 32 or 64 bit bin

6) Double click on it to add and then hit the "apply and close" tab

7) Fire up MWO (it may take more than one try, also make sure you select the Oculus headphones as your primary playback device)

It will come up in "Z adaptive" mode in full 3D, then just play with the FOV from the in game settings and tweak the Vorpx settings to your liking...I have my FOV set at 113 which seems pretty optimal (think it's 60 by default which is WAY too zoomed- in). Assign the Vorpx "edgepeek to a hotkey to look at your ammo and damage screens quickly as there is no good way for you to get the full overlays without compromising the 3D.

Note that the Mech Lab is not in Stereoscopic 3D - but the game is, including all weapons and effects! You can try other templates (Crysis 3 doesn't render in full stereoscopy) - but this works great.

It is completely AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a YouTube link explaining the Vorpx game optimizer...

<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix" id="rep_post_5211138"><p class="post_block hentry clear clearfix Members" id="post_id_5211159">

#2 [color=#B27204]CreszZ[/color]

• Posted Image
  • Posted Image
  • Posted Image
  • 17 posts

Posted Today, 10:35 AM
Forgot to mention something that will help enormously....

Make sure you use "Edge Peek" when your in the Mech Lab - it's like your looking at a giant movie screen. I have mine set to a mouse hotkey but you can assign it anywhere convenient - remember your going to use it "in-game" to quick view damage and weapons systems too, so don't assign it to a key your using for something else important

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users