Pgi Sales Suggestion

2 replies to this topic

#1 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:26 AM

This isn't a feature suggestion, just a suggestion to PGI about making the 'sales material' a little more enticing for new potential MWO players.
(If a forum moderator knows a better place for this kind of suggestion, please move the thread.)

Every single thing a game publisher mentions in a sales page or video indicates all the other things that exist around it in the game, and how the game works.

I see these in other games wayyy too often:
1. "More levels added"... It's a warcraft-style level grinder? YAWN.
2. "New Worlds to Explore"... You just go around exploring worlds till they get boring or until you 'get all the loot' or 'finish all the quests'? YAWN
3. "Join the X faction" / "Fight for freedom" / "Help save the X" (or any other lore-based blurb)... If you have to rely on lore as a selling point, the gameplay probably SUCKS.

Here's what I would have put up on the Warhammer splash screen/sales page/showcase video:

The Warhammer has arrived!
70 Ton BattleMech; Fully customizable
280-Rated engine for mobility; Surprise your opponents
Two Plasma Particle Cannons for hard-hitting long-range damage
Short-range missle racks and an array of lasers for close encounters

Reading the above 'sales text', someone who has never seen MWO before might think:

70 tons? Seems huge. Big robots that do battles? Interesting.

Mobility? Surprise? So there's stealth and tactics involved? Nice!

Particle Cannons? Sounds high-tech and there's two of them? Wow it could be cool shooting at other robots with big guns like that. Long-range? Ooh I can do some snipey stuff with that.

Missles and lasers? Ahh, so I shoot them with big cannons then finish them off with a bunch of missiles and lasers... Wow this game looks cool!

Oh wait... It said fully customizable, so I can fine-tune my robot? I wonder if there are other types of cannons I could try? If the missles are short range, could I try long-range missiles instead? What other things could I put on my robot?

Oh this looks amazing, gotta try it.

Seems silly at a glance, but this is how people think when they see 'sales text' describing a game.
The above sales text makes the player think about how they would use the features, and ponder what else is in the game for them to use.
Therefore, the player is already beginning to play in their mind even before they try the game.
Engage the player's imagination! This is the golden secret to get people interested.

Come on PGI, sell it! Posted Image
There are millions of potential MechWarriors out there, and they don't even know it yet!

...Just for fun, what would be your 5-line blurb text for your favourite mech?

Edited by Generic Internetter, 25 January 2016 - 05:20 AM.

#2 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

The Firestarter has arrived!
35 ton BattleMech; fully customizable!
Kill heavier opponents with only two shots!
Exists in quantum superposition!
Spins both ways!

#3 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostHornsby, on 25 January 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

The Firestarter has arrived!
35 ton BattleMech; fully customizable!
Kill heavier opponents with only two shots!
Exists in quantum superposition!
Spins both ways!

HUH? and LOL! are all I can say

Flamer and MG are OP then?

Edited by Generic Internetter, 25 January 2016 - 10:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users