#1 Apathy Enrage

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 32 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

EDIT: Okay, maybe it's not NEW, but I've been running into it more and more in QP and it's EXTREMELY frustrating...

So, let me set this up by saying I've played MWO since closed beta. I've seen every type of meta that's come and gone, from poptarting PPC cataphracts to Gauss everything. I've always supported the game and the direction it's taken.

I've also never found those metas to be super game breaking, but this... This has me upset... I haven't seen a cheesier playstyle,,, Even in CW it's not this bad.

We dropped twice with these guys. Once against and once with. (The video I'm posting is with them).

In both instances, they stood perfectly still at 1200 ish meters and fired their ERLLs without bothering to support their team or move in the slightest. Jump to the highest point they can and sit there.

When we were with them, we pushed center, played smart, got a few kills as 5 people vs their whole team while they sat back, in their spawn corner and made absolutely no effort to move at all, leaving us to die and then watch as they (Poorly) long ranged the other team to death. It's not fun to play with, it's not fun to play against, and it's really not in the spirit of the game.

CW is one thing. You almost expect that long range fight. You're prepared, and geared up for it. But it's not the same in QP where it's much more random. I don't know how to fix this, nor do I know how people can consider it fun, but what I do know, is that if this becomes a thing, I might have to actually step away from MWO.

Here is video, raw straight from Fraps (Which I launched as soon as I died and realized we were with those guys)

Edited by Apathy Enrage, 28 January 2016 - 12:34 PM.

#2 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

I don't even know if its a 'meta' as much as it is just a style of play. Its not a good one, but I'm not sure I would consider it entirely wrong, just poorly executed.

What needs to happen is if a mech is going to take the Large Laser support/sniper role, they should essentially act as the fire support for the main push group. They should stay right behind the push and use their longer range to take out the mechs damaged from the initial push.

I don't know for sure of course but it almost seems like the players who did this aren't fully aware of their maximum range nor their own ineffectiveness of play. I think that just takes time and help from other players to develop.

Just what I think of course, and I'm only tier 3 so I'm no expert.

#3 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,819 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:07 PM

I say it's hardly shocking their always gonna be one or two people standing way back "sniping" with erll, just mean you gotta work twice as hard to win your games in quick play.

#4 Apathy Enrage

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 32 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

See, this wasn't just one or two people, it was 7. And they're very aware of their range. Though on this map they just couldn't take advantage of it like they did on tourmaline.

It's cheezy and not fun. Sure, it'll win them games I guess, but what's that worth at the cost of the fun for everyone else involved? I don't mind losing. I do mind losing to a bunch of cheesy players sitting at 1200 plus and dying to death by a thousand cuts....

#5 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,819 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

I know how you feel at times man, but it the player style to not get their paint scratch did you try communicating with them to tell em to move up and try to share the damage you and your team is taking, atleast try to do that it's not really meta from what I know of.

#6 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

There's a lot of people who sneak off at the beginning of a match and hope to snipe some kills while their team dies softening up the enemy.

Isn't really new, either. Been that way since Closed Beta. Usually guarantees a loss for their team, but it helps them pad their own k:d and get extra xp/CB because kills are what garners the most points.

Unfortunately, in PUG drops, you don't get to pick who you get. You just have to work with what you have, which unfortunately sometimes means trying to work around them doing something that isn't very conducive to the success of the team.

#7 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

I've seen this myself a few times, could have helped the team but instead they sat back, we died then they died, useless baggage in a team match.

Personally I think that lazors max range should be their optimal, this double range thing just encourages this type of behavior.

We would see a lot more AC's/uacs used if the double range thing was dropped. I will admit it will hurt some mechs like lights that rely on 2 erlaz to get by but I think it would improve the overall game.

#8 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

- "without bothering to support their team or move in the slightest"
- "they sat back, in their spawn corner and made absolutely no effort to move at all, leaving us to die"
- "It's cheezy and not fun. Sure, it'll win them games I guess, but what's that worth at the cost of the fun for everyone else involved?"

OMG, SOMEBODY USED STRATEGY. BURNNNNN THEM!!!!!

Seriously, you're disappointed that a group of guys carried you to victory because their strat worked? If you would have joined them at their location you probably would have won much more easily. But instead you mindlessly blundered into the enemy team as normal without their support. They're toting ERLL, why would they want to go to the center of the map and brawl? Also, it's a lot more fun and exciting to try new things and use new parts of the map than it is to play the same damned match every damn time.

#9 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

lol
I guess it's the natural evolution of people boating a single weapon: teams boating a single weapon

#10 Conreg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

This is worse than the LRM assaults clogging up the ranks how?

#11 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

Well I bet your glad that this LL meta is gona shrink next patch then.

#12 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

That's why we have lights. Their job is to sneak up behind those snipers and take them out. I'll admit, I've been that ER sniper before. But I can think of a few instances where I was doing the sniping and some quick lights found me alone. Then "I" became the easy kill for the other team. Choosing to be a sniper doesn't come without it's own share of risks.

#13 CaptainNapalm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

Ac 2s in concert can certainly ruin a ER LL or ER PPC snipers day in a big hurry and they tend to be useful in short and medium range engagements too. Trying to be an ER PPC sniper is an exercise in frustration at the best of times any way...

Edited by CaptainNapalm, 26 February 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#14 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:44 AM

I'd imagine this would be very amusing if this was transposed into real context.

Helmand Province, Afghanistan:
Soldier 1: - "without bothering to support their team or move in the slightest"

Soldier 2: "yeah they sat back, in their spawn corner and made absolutely no effort to move at all, leaving us to die"

Soldier 1: "It's cheezy and not fun. Sure, it'll win them games I guess, but what's that worth at the cost of the fun for everyone else involved?"

Stupid AC 130 gunships, Snipers, Apaches and Predator drones. They're not moving up and support their team in the slightest.

Edited by rolly, 25 February 2016 - 11:47 AM.

#15 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:57 AM

Ah, yes: "Snipers."

I have a couple sniper builds, but if you're not adding your ARMOR to your team, you're not really helping them, either. That's why games with players like this, at the end of the game, they tend to be the only ones left alive in a 12-3 stomp.

#16 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:32 AM

Just another example of the real meta ... which is selfishness.

#17 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

Its never fun when a team doesnt work together, but I will say you could of just funneled the enemies for them instead of running to your deaths.

This is just an example of group alpha's not giving in to eachother tactics.

Group:1 No I will not sit back, you come and fight the good fight.

Group:2 No I will not be forced to brawl! You help us!

Someone has to give, or something has to give.

Now lets all blame PGI because we are bullheaded to other groups tactical playstyles.

My question to the op is, you encountered this very group b4, knew their playstyle/tactics, chose to not augment their abilities, and yet are angry about it? Yeah they could of helped in the front lines too, but you could of givin in some as well. It's not always YOU PLAY THE GAME MY WAY OR ELSE BRO.

This all reminds me of ppl getting mad at LRM fire and yet everyone always ignores equipping all the counters available. Like AMS. Yeah I dont use it very often either. But I'm not bitter about lrm either when i don't.

Edited by Omaha, 29 February 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#18 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostApathy Enrage, on 28 January 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

See, this wasn't just one or two people, it was 7. And they're very aware of their range. Though on this map they just couldn't take advantage of it like they did on tourmaline.

It's cheezy and not fun. Sure, it'll win them games I guess, but what's that worth at the cost of the fun for everyone else involved? I don't mind losing. I do mind losing to a bunch of cheesy players sitting at 1200 plus and dying to death by a thousand cuts....

One of the key things I see is that 7 players had a unified plan revolving around a long range energy build. Consider, that since 7 is a MAJORITY of a team of 12, you should consider how you can best support them and not the other way around.

Counter hypothetical example: I am piloting an LRM stalker, the map is HPG, the game is Skirmish and my teamates are 11 Atlas-S with AC20s and SRMs. Our best plan if up on kills is to hole up underneath the tower and tear the enemy apart at short range. Yes, this could be boring waiting for the enemy, and my mech is TOTALLY WORTHLESS underground. But it is playing to the majority of my teamsmates strengths, and I will do my best to tank hits to shield our damage dealers. I won't tell my team, " hey guys, I brought LuRMs, could we all sit on top of the tower where you can't fighr effectively so I can use my weapons?"

Play to the objective.

#19 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:03 PM

View PostTarogato, on 28 January 2016 - 05:38 PM, said:

Seriously, you're disappointed that a group of guys carried you to victory because their strat worked? If you would have joined them at their location you probably would have won much more easily. But instead you mindlessly blundered into the enemy team as normal without their support. They're toting ERLL, why would they want to go to the center of the map and brawl? Also, it's a lot more fun and exciting to try new things and use new parts of the map than it is to play the same damned match every damn time.

This.

You don't always have go to stare into the whites of the enemies eyes to kill them...lots of players see and enemy and immediately mash W into the enemy. If most of your team is decked out in ERLL, work with them..instead of going off turning up your nose to what half your team is doing, getting rekd then posting on the forums your video featuring your smug elitist commentary. And funny thing is they won the match.

#20 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

i agree with the OP, i do not want the game turning an ERLL snipe-fest. I hate this next to only lrmboats on Polar and caustic. The strategy works, but its a very cheap and dickish way to kill someone, especially if you got half the team standing at spawn sniping. Ultimately though people will chose to continue to run these kinds of builds and just bear through the blunt of it

but i greatly enjoy driving my 6 smpl locust and killing a lrmboat or sniper with a quick stab to the back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users