818 replies to this topic

#61 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:19 AM

Revealing the name of units should be looked in a case by case manner if at all. If a unit has just a few cheaters, probably the rest of the unit won't know about it. If half the unit is using cheats, then please, sharpen your forks.

#62 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:35 AM

View Postpatataman, on 30 January 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:

Revealing the name of units should be looked in a case by case manner if at all. If a unit has just a few cheaters, probably the rest of the unit won't know about it. If half the unit is using cheats, then please, sharpen your forks.

Agree. Tarring all the members of a unit for the actions of a few isn't right. I'm guessing most cheaters do not make that known to their units.

#63 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:52 AM

Cheating isn't as rampant as people perceive it to be in the first place. I think there's an old list of banned cheaters and it's at max 20 names with some of them being alt accounts. So 10-15 max out of what 2-3k players? Seems like a pretty low percentage, no need to shame a unit for 1-2 knuckleheads.

#64 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:09 AM

View PostRevorn, on 30 January 2016 - 04:01 AM, said:

Hopefully nothing, i like my Tier 4. Posted Image

It's funny. I started a new account and I found T5 difficult. But T4 was incredibly fun. People using VOIP, trying to figure things out, attempting to win. As soon as I hit T3, all that cooperation and fun disappeared. Funny how the big dogs always say "the key to success is communication", but they apparently don't mean it.

Wish that account was T4 again.

#65 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:10 AM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 30 January 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

Posted Image

Dude certainly ate his wheaties yesterday before the Town Hall!!! Posted Image

#66 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:11 AM

View PostZibmo, on 30 January 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

It's funny. I started a new account and I found T5 difficult. But T4 was incredibly fun. People using VOIP, trying to figure things out, attempting to win. As soon as I hit T3, all that cooperation and fun disappeared. Funny how the big dogs always say "the key to success is communication", but they apparently don't mean it.

Sure, communication is key. Let me just communicate with my unit/clanmates and mute everyone else in the game because clearly they cannot give useful information.

/s

My experience in t2 group queue in a nutshell. It backfires so often, so badly, it isn't even funny. Solo-queue is a little better. CW has the best coordination and cooperation, however. By far.

#67 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostCillipuddi, on 30 January 2016 - 03:57 AM, said:

So what happens when they ban a few players and some of you are still bad at the game?

the game and community is still a better place?

Sorry only people with epeen esteem issues think everything everyone does is about their own epeen.

Cheaters need to be banned for integrity of the game, regardless of if remaining players are "good" or "bad".

#68 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:14 AM

What's interesting, is people ignored the content of his explanation.
I predict this list when it occurs, won't have many (if any) names from the top tier units.

It'll be people next to nobody has heard of.

#69 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:14 AM

OH by no means do I think cheaters shouldn't be banned, Bishop. Just saying a lot of players use "aimbot" for an excuse for them getting headshot or torso'd in their exsposed ST. Was my point.

#70 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 30 January 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

What's interesting, is people ignored the content of his explanation.
I predict this list when it occurs, won't have many (if any) names from the top tier units.

It'll be people next to nobody has heard of.

I believe there is some truth to that. IIRC, the last list was also 75% unknowns, 25% knowns. Relatively few people who actually have the drive to be the best want to cheat because it cheapens everything and undermines the desire to be honestly better. A fairly small portion of "the very best" just want the name recognition and to be feared, damn the ethics or legitimacy of their capabilities. These are the few who cheat near the top.

That, or monetary motivation to win, such as a tournament.

#71 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:18 AM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 30 January 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:

Some people will never be capable of piloting a mech...

I should hope the only people that truly fall into that category are those in comas or paralytics.... Posted Image

#72 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 January 2016 - 07:18 AM, said:

I should hope the only people that truly fall into that category are those in comas or paralytics.... Posted Image

Or inebriated zebras..

#73 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

View PostCathy, on 30 January 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

I think they should also shame the unit these cheats are in and if more than five in one ban wave, are from the same unit they should forcibly remove the unit from the game.

In other words police your damn unit better, or find yourself reforming another under a different name and get it damn right next time

But how can said units then trumpet about their "skillz" all over the forums and spout of about worthless noobs who need to "git gud or git rekted?" Perhaps said units should just have provided a link to the cheater website from where they downloaded their "skillz" - it would have saved everyone a lot of time.

#74 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:23 AM

View PostZibmo, on 30 January 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

T3 is the worst tier. In T3 they know just enough to hurt other players but fear more than enough to be scared. The fear does not start to subside until you see Tier 2 but never goes away. You still encounter it in Tier 1 but overall, the quality of matches is better.

Do yourself a huge favor and get out of Tier 3, either up or down, as fast as you can.

#75 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:23 AM

View PostCillipuddi, on 30 January 2016 - 04:30 AM, said:

Russ did state IP bans, so alt accounts probably wont be happening, but people will get around it. Games will always have cheaters, just have to weed them out.

IPs are rather simple to mask or change

#76 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 January 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

the game and community is still a better place?

Sorry only people with epeen esteem issues think everything everyone does is about their own epeen.

Cheaters need to be banned for integrity of the game, regardless of if remaining players are "good" or "bad".

I hope they actively ban players on a weekly basis. Perhaps have Friday night hax ban throne of shame. I say Fridays because that's the best time to ban the cheaters. They have all weekend to sit around with nothing to do and sulk about it.

#77 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 January 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

IPs are rather simple to mask or change

Everything is rather simple to change with a small bit of know-how.

#78 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostJon Gotham, on 30 January 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

It's quite simple really. Things like this galvanize mobs of people, when many people get together over something so charged reason tends to take a back seat. If you are in a unit that gets fingered, and you DO NOT cheat your name is still associated with that unit.
It won't matter if that player is innocent or not, he/she will still be from THAT unit.

And MWO Forums are famous for their mob think already.... some examples being tied to "on an island", "pgi never reads their own forums", "founders money was used for MW:T" etc.....

Though fortunately most of the rabble rousing cults of personality have left or been banned... these forums are much less toxic for their absence. Anyone that has to cheat at a game...especially to maintain a semblance of being "leet" need to be just as gone.

Can't wait to hear the cries on Reddit... "my kid installed that program".... "My roommate was running my acct"...... Sometimes salt really does enhance flavor.... Posted Image

MEDIOCRE!

View Postjss78, on 30 January 2016 - 05:18 AM, said:

Agreed, I generally don't remember people's units either ... but someone will remember, and that's enough for people to piece together which units were the worst offenders.

hasn't really happened much. AH66 was really the only time, and it is pretty suspicious when it's the unit's entire leadership that gets nailed. IDK, if nothing else, as a player I would want the unit dissolved and to get away from the taint at that point.

Yes we get some mouthbreathers who go after any comp unit too, but those seldom actually get any momentum.

#79 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

Oh come on. They are only devoting time to this because of the tourney.

Oh, and if you don't think real time spectating would be labor intensive then you haven't thought about it at all.

I'd like to see CW pushed out quicker. I'd like to see more weapon tweaks. There is a laundry list of things I'd like to see. What IS NOT on that list is them using their limited resources to weed out a handful of cheaters. If there is simply a button they can hit to catch the cheaters then I'm all for it. Of course, if that button existed, wouldn't we see ban waves MORE THAN TWICE IN GAME HISTORY?????????

#80 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostCillipuddi, on 30 January 2016 - 06:52 AM, said:

Cheating isn't as rampant as people perceive it to be in the first place. I think there's an old list of banned cheaters and it's at max 20 names with some of them being alt accounts. So 10-15 max out of what 2-3k players? Seems like a pretty low percentage, no need to shame a unit for 1-2 knuckleheads.

There were actually 64 accounts banned way back. And anyone sane would realise the numbers getting caught is always a lot less than the number of actual cheaters. So a few hundred cheaters with a low estimation, maybe up to a thousand with a high estimation. That's a quite substantial amount of matches where cheats are being used for such a small game if the cheaters play often.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users