679 replies to this topic

#1 MeanFacedJohnny

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 87 posts
  • LocationA flooded ass basement.

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:59 AM

I really enjoy this game. I would consider myself a casual player. The fact that I've spent nearly $300 on this game since I started 3 years ago should tell you how much I like this game. That being said, I'd still consider myself a casual player. By no means do I play every single day.

Anyway to the point;

I got into this game because I loved the idea of customizing giant robots however I like, and battling with others who have done the same. However the past few months I can't go 3 games without someone b*tching at me for having LRM's on my AtlasD-DC. My build is 2 ER Lrg lasers, an AC 20, LRM 20, LRM 5, and ECM. It's what I have found I like best after playing this mech for 3 years. My DC (Hank) is my favorite, as well as my mainly used mech. (it's the 2nd mech I ever bought) I currently have a 1.41 W/L ratio and a 1.10 K/D ratio with it. I rarely do 'bad' with it and tend to do between 300-600 dmg a match. I know there are those with far better scores but as I have said I am a casual player and to me, staying positive is all that matters. And enjoying myself when I play.

And that is how it should be. It shouldn't matter what my build is as long as I do well with it and have fun with it. As should be the case for anyone enjoying this game. It's become so aggravating that last night I actually told someone to, "please eat a d*ck and stop telling people how to play the game". That's the first time I've ever been an *ss to anyone in this game, and to that person I do apologize. However it's nobody's business how I build my mech, nor should I have to hear about it every 2-3 games. (for the record the person who said that to me died early and did eighty something damage) There is no one single way to build any mech in this game, that's the beauty of it. That is why I love this game and it's the only 'shooter' I play. (if you want to call it that)

So please, everybody, stop crying about other people's builds, and if you must say something, don't be a d*ick about it. I shouldn't have to defend my choices in this game to anyone. Especially if I'm not losing games.

Edit: I'm not looking to have my ego stroked. I"m only trying to say there is no reason to hate on someone for using a build they enjoy in this game. Especially if that build works for that person.

Edit 2: Because of advice from this thread, I have switched to 2 lrm 10. They do work better I won't deny it. Thanks for that bit of advice to the people who recommended it.

Edit 3: So many people assume I stand back and lob lrms all day. I use lrms on the slow march to the fight to dish out what damage I can on the way. When I get to the fight, I can still use my lrms on far off targets while using my ac20 and lasers to fight those nearby. Also my speed is 52 not 48. Lrms don't become useless once you are in the thick of it, you can still use them to hit targets in the distance.

Final edit: I do have a brawler atlas. My AS7S(L) has 4 srm 6, 4 med pls, and an ac5. It also does well and I enjoy it. My D-DC is just my favorite mech, always has been, and as long as I do well with it don't see why it should be an issue to anyone. So if you want to give friendly advice, that's fine, and I may or may not choose to listen to it. Just be respectful about it. Use tact, make your point without making an enemy.
GLHF.

Edited by MeanFacedJohnny, 14 February 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#2 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

Lrm 20s on an atlas is a bad idea because you dont have enough tubes to effectively use all those LRMS...its just a BAD build...

yeah its YOUR mech i get that but you gimp your team by carrying such sub optimal weapons...

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:01 AM

I do recommend builds to people often because for me changing and building mechs is my favorite part.

Sorry but an atlas ddc with lrms has been a running joke for a long time. I don't think it's going to stop.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 14 February 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#4 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:07 AM

Dat build though. Posted Image

#5 MeanFacedJohnny

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

That build is what wins me games. It's a good all around mech. I can fight at all ranges on any map. The day I consistently lose matches because of my build I will change it again. But if I'm doing well and consistently winning, how does that 'gimp' my team?

Edited by MeanFacedJohnny, 14 February 2016 - 08:12 AM.

#6 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostMeanFacedJohnny, on 14 February 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

I really enjoy this game. I would consider myself a casual player. The fact that I've spent nearly $300 on this game since I started 3 years ago should tell you how much I like this game. That being said, I'd still consider myself a casual player. By no means do I play every single day.

Anyway to the point;

I got into this game because I loved the idea of customizing giant robots however I like, and battling with others who have done the same. However the past few months I can't go 3 games without someone b*tching at me for having LRM's on my AtlasD-DC. My build is 2 ER Lrg lasers, an AC 20, LRM 20, LRM 5, and ECM. It's what I have found I like best after playing this mech for 3 years. My DC (Hank) is my favorite, as well as my mainly used mech. (it's the 2nd mech I ever bought) I currently have a 1.41 W/L ratio and a 1.10 K/D ratio with it. I rarely do 'bad' with it and tend to do between 300-600 dmg a match. I know there are those with far better scores but as I have said I am a casual player and to me, staying positive is all that matters. And enjoying myself when I play.

And that is how it should be. It shouldn't matter what my build is as long as I do well with it and have fun with it. As should be the case for anyone enjoying this game. It's become so aggravating that last night I actually told someone to, "please eat a d*ck and stop telling people how to play the game". That's the first time I've ever been an *ss to anyone in this game, and to that person I do apologize. However it's nobody's business how I build my mech, nor should I have to hear about it every 2-3 games. (for the record the person who said that to me died early and did eighty something damage) There is no one single way to build any mech in this game, that's the beauty of it. That is why I love this game and it's the only 'shooter' I play. (if you want to call it that)

So please, everybody, stop crying about other people's builds, and if you must say something, don't be a d*ick about it. I shouldn't have to defend my choices in this game to anyone. Especially if I'm not losing games.

i really should not affect you that much bro.

Just do your thing, do good in a match, and if you want, at the end of the match educate people. But yeah, stuff like that should not affect you that much.

#7 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

Anyway to the point;

It's not a bad build, it lets you engage decently well at both long and short ranges. However, since you've got 3 missile hardpoints on that D-DC, you should consider taking out the LRM20 for two LRM10s, as they come with a lower cooldown and tighter grouping. The heat will be very slightly higher, but the damage should apply itself much better, and faster.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:14 AM

atlas is just a bad chassis for lrming. its more of a brawler i think, those missile slots are much better utilized carry an evil amount of srms.

but i recently managed to get an awesome 8r. which is very quickly turning into an lrm monster. 60 tubes and plenty of ammo. on top of that it carries a couple mpls and an erll as backup. if you get to the point in the game where you fire your last missile, almost everything is damaged enough for that 21 point laser alpha to matter.

#9 MeanFacedJohnny

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:17 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 14 February 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

It's not a bad build, it lets you engage decently well at both long and short ranges. However, since you've got 3 missile hardpoints on that D-DC, you should consider taking out the LRM20 for two LRM10s, as they come with a lower cooldown and tighter grouping. The heat will be very slightly higher, but the damage should apply itself much better, and faster.

I've thought of this, but right now I have the modules for the lrm 20. Once I get them for the 10's I will most likely switch.

#10 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

Anyway to the point;

The thing you (and others) need to keep in mind is that nobody can check allied loadouts mid-match. The primary thing about 'Atlas with LRMs' is the notorious DDC or S whose loadout is only or nearly only LRM racks, with a pair of medium lasers or less (sometimes nothing) for close-range backup. There's an assumption that if someone's hucking LRMs with an Atlas, it must be the only thing they're doing, because LRMs are useless if you don't dedicate your entire 'mech to them and only them.

Just to be clear, everything italicised is 1) a misconception held by some players or 2) me being exceptionally sarcastic.

On the flip side, if you're hanging back behind cover for a large part of a match and not moving forwards to act as an anchor for your team's movements (which is the main point of an assault 'mech) and hucking only LRMs for that time, you -do- need chiding for making your battlefield footprint much smaller than it should be.

So, it's a balance to be struck, and there will always be people who will tell you LRMs are a waste no matter what (they aren't inherently a waste), just like there will always be people who whinge and creel about LRMs being 'easy mode' 'no skill' weapons (which they aren't- they're easy to use, but they're very difficult to use well and use reliably. This comes down to the misunderstanding that using LRMs effectively doesn't require any development of ability, which they do- positioning, awareness, understanding cover, timing, choice of rack size, all of these are learned skills to implement and will keep LRMs relevant at higher levels of play.)

And there will always be people who see one LRM rack or volley and immediately decide you're dedicated wholly to LRMs and haven't figured out how to use them with other weaponry.

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 14 February 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

I'd argue for a 5 and a 15- if you can squash the 15 into a later slot, it'll volley 6-6-3 because SRM tube count, and the total tonnage is one less.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 14 February 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#11 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:25 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 14 February 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Lrm 20s on an atlas is a bad idea because you dont have enough tubes to effectively use all those LRMS...its just a BAD build...

yeah its YOUR mech i get that but you gimp your team by carrying such sub optimal weapons...

It's not the mech but the pilot that gimps the team on every siingle occasion. Just as any light pilot does not gimp the team by 40-50 tons average by not brinning a heavy.

The build is oprimal for the casual play if it suits the player who built it that way. So there might be some tweaks or misunderstanding of what's what (like with those 2xLRM10 instead of LRM20 will most probably do better even without modules) but the build is ok as long as it suits the player.

Edited by pyrocomp, 14 February 2016 - 10:38 AM.

#12 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

It is pretty easy to do good damage in the underhive with a bad build...

#13 MeanFacedJohnny

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 14 February 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

The thing you (and others) need to keep in mind is that nobody can check allied loadouts mid-match. The primary thing about 'Atlas with LRMs' is the notorious DDC or S whose loadout is only or nearly only LRM racks, with a pair of medium lasers or less (sometimes nothing) for close-range backup. There's an assumption that if someone's hucking LRMs with an Atlas, it must be the only thing they're doing, because LRMs are useless if you don't dedicate your entire 'mech to them and only them.

Just to be clear, everything italicised is 1) a misconception held by some players or 2) me being exceptionally sarcastic.

On the flip side, if you're hanging back behind cover for a large part of a match and not moving forwards to act as an anchor for your team's movements (which is the main point of an assault 'mech) and hucking only LRMs for that time, you -do- need chiding for making your battlefield footprint much smaller than it should be.

So, it's a balance to be struck, and there will always be people who will tell you LRMs are a waste no matter what (they aren't inherently a waste), just like there will always be people who whinge and creel about LRMs being 'easy mode' 'no skill' weapons (which they aren't- they're easy to use, but they're very difficult to use well and use reliably. This comes down to the misunderstanding that using LRMs effectively doesn't require any development of ability, which they do- positioning, awareness, understanding cover, timing, choice of rack size, all of these are learned skills to implement and will keep LRMs relevant at higher levels of play.)

And there will always be people who see one LRM rack or volley and immediately decide you're dedicated wholly to LRMs and haven't figured out how to use them with other weaponry.

That is just it. With a top speed of 48 kph, I like to be able to dish out damage while I slowly trudge toward the battle. Yes, some maps (alpine peaks) I tend to sit back for awhile unloading missiles and er lasers not worrying about getting to close, but for the most part the lrms are there for the long walk/wait to get to the fight. Also I love being able to have someone far off locked and be able to launch lrms at them while shooting my ac and lasers at enemies near me. People tend to forget you can do that.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:31 AM

what i dont like now is metamechs. not because they are good or pro elite. part of the fun in the game is trying new builds and seeing which perform better when meshed with your skill set. i dont want someone to give me an optimal build that is so honed to perfection that it is the pinnacle of any chassis and further alteration is pointless. id rather come to that conclusion myself. also what is optimal for pilot a is not going to be optimal for pilot b. for example im terrible at ranged combat. its taken me awhile to get my aim good enough to hit targets at 750+ reliably. so im not very effitient with long range campy builds. i also am a bit aggressive so i tend to prefer brawlers and i love ballistic mechs. so it only goes to figure i run a lot of ballistic boats and srm brawlers because im really good with them.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 February 2016 - 08:32 AM.

#15 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

Strangely enough this complaining about people who use LRMs on Atlases is an ever present thing since I play this game. About 2.5 years. I personally get why people think this is a bad idea, but on the other hand i've watched many Atlas players do decent damage with LRM builds. So advice: keep doing your thing. I've seen way worse builds than LRM Atlanten but noone complains about these...

#16 Choppah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts
  • LocationIn transit, ETA unknown.

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:34 AM

The main problem I believe most players have with this is the ECM on the DDC is far better utilized near the front of the battlefield. LRMs give away your position and spoil any chance of surprise, this setup simply has too great a contrast of roles. Atlas do not work well with LRMs, the King Crab has plenty of tubes and is way better at fully utilizing LRMs, but if you think you get a lot of hate in a LRM atlas...

Edited by Choppah, 14 February 2016 - 08:43 AM.

#17 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:37 AM

I lot of you people who say that's a bad build are completely missing the point.

When it comes to the solo queue, run whatever you like. If it's fun for you, mission accomplished. If you're in my team, I won't mind as long as you participate in the game.

If anyone is that concerned with how optimal their solo queue team mates' builds are, I'd suggest that you're playing in the wrong place. There are endless facilities in this game for meta/comp play: CW, group queue, private matches.

#18 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

You can always mute them. Bottom line is, the proof is in the pudding. If you do well and do well by your team, let the trolls stew. Unfortunately this game is full of opinionated people, douchbaggery and asinine commentary. Mute and Block is your friend. That and consider surrounding yourself with good peoples. It insulates you from the rampant tryhard douchbaggery.

Keep at it Johnny, LURM away and make em rage at a Block filter.

#19 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

1) Yes, it's your mech.
2) It's OUR team, not your team, our team.

So when someone brings an Atlas that isn't even properly using their tubes, and the mech is literally incapable of fulfilling the one role that an Atlas is built for (Wrecking ball tank leading pushes) - while you might feel you "did fine" everyone else needs to play around the fact that they have one of their assaults in the back of the team safely lobbing LRMs.

So feel free to play whatever you want, but your team mates will probably feel equally as free to let you know when your personal choices directly affect them as well.

Its a two way street.

Edited by Ultimax, 14 February 2016 - 08:42 AM.

#20 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostMeanFacedJohnny, on 14 February 2016 - 08:10 AM, said:

That build is what wins me games. It's a good all around mech. I can fight at all ranges on any map. The day I consistently lose matches because of my build I will change it again. But if I'm doing well and consistently winning, how does that 'gimp' my team?

I have 0 respect for an atlas when i see lrms on it...if i saw that in a pub match, bumrush you, straight for your AC20 then you are pretty much a walking EXP piniata....if you where packing SRMS however Id treat you with much more caution...sorry OP Bad build is bad.......Now however, 2 er large a gauss rifle and 3 lrm5's? thats a good alternative..its actually a dangerous long range harraser.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users