Pirates Bane

41 replies to this topic

#1 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

hai. I have been having trouble using a viable build for the PB. I enjoy my 6smpl 1E a ton and deal lots of dmg, and i do decent in the lpl 1v and the 3m w/ 1 med pulse, 4 sml. 2ams

these are the builds i tried:
4 smpl ( too weak, 1E way better)
adding 2 machine guns isnt enough power
4 ML: runs too hot
1 ERLL (too weak)

Tell me if you know any real good builds and/or tactics u need to learn for the PB.
thx! :)

#2 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

It is pretty decent in it's stock configuration actually. It is very much a sneak up behind the enemy harasser and a late round scavenger. Try to hit injured mechs or single out slow mechs on their own. Never take anything on head-on. Another build I like is 2 mpl, 2 sl. The short burn time helps keep your damage all on the targeted component. Also, check out the underrated locust thread for a lot more hints and advice.

#3 Radagast the Brown

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:31 PM

Hey Windscape, the PB is my most-piloted mech. You are correct it can never really be as good as the 1V, 1E, etc. It can't have good weapon quirks because it is a hero mech with ECM, but adding ECM limits the weight for weapons. Not using ECM gives you a locust with poor quirks and few hard points. It suffers from a very bad needs-1-more-slot-with-ferro problem. None of the builds ever quite seems optimal.

Sadly I switched my armor to ferro ASAP and don't want to pay to switch back and forth so I am a little limited. I almost thought about getting another PB just to run one with and one without ferro. Right now I have 4ML with both ECM and BAP. It is very hot and can't get very much damage in a match, but it gives me scouting bonuses and helps target weak mech parts quickly. I've taken out many exposed XL engines. Honestly I can't say BAP is better than a heatsink, but probably not really worse either.

I used the 2MPL 2SL for a long time and it is good, but the shorter range and less alpha eventually turned me away. The fact that the weapons also weigh 1 ton more than 4ML makes it pointless to me. The stock loadout has very respectable DPS for a light mech, though you have to be a very good pilot to use it. I really want to give stock a shot someday, maybe if I buy a 2nd PB.

#4 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:18 PM

I have good luck with using 4 small pulse lasers, but if you want a real thrill strap an AC2 or a PPC/LPL to the bugger and fire at will.
With only 4 torso mounted lasers, you have to be careful trying to tank, the Peanut Butter should be used to flank and backstab more so than the 1E or 3M.

#5 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

thx for the tips! :) I tried the the pirates bane w/ the 2 mpl and 2 sml and it worked pretty well (about 350 dmg) but i still welcome moar tips :D It looks like tho that its never gonna be better than the 1E or 3M, but i do think the ECM helps when im bullying assaults :P

#6 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 16 February 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

I have good luck with using 4 small pulse lasers, but if you want a real thrill strap an AC2 or a PPC/LPL to the bugger and fire at will.
With only 4 torso mounted lasers, you have to be careful trying to tank, the Peanut Butter should be used to flank and backstab more so than the 1E or 3M.

I have had good luck with 4 spl/2mg, but you have to run with no arm or head armor. You also have to like to stay in close to the enemy to be effective.

#7 Dagada Moor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

The only build u haven't tried is 3 med lasers and 2 MGs w/ half ton ammo unless u want to strip arms and head then 2 tons MG ammo which is easy to do. Try it you might like it. Happy hunting!!!!!!

#8 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

I don't think Machine Guns cut it for that mech. You simply shouldn't stay in the open and machine guns need you to stay in the open. Just forget about those two hard points and do with the 4E slots, most of the good combinations have been mentioned in this thread so I won't do it again, just accept that ECM costs you firepower, take it or go with LCT-1E for alphalulz.

#9 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

I recommend going with the stock build, but move the ammo into one leg (if your leg's blown off, it'll be blown off regardless of whether there's ammo there..."life of a locust") and head.

Invest GXP into MG range level 5 and Small Laser Range level 5. You can also yank the MGs and add two more DHS, but this is already a pretty heat-efficient mech, and add the Small Laser Cooldown level 5.

That's pretty much it.

PB's a pretty good mech, but it's still a Locust.

#10 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

eh, machine guns are only effective if you have 3+, its just the PB is severely underpowered compared to some of the other locusts. And once again, thx for your feedback guys :)
i might give the stock build a whirl, but hmm, i question its abilities

#11 Radagast the Brown

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:36 PM

I used 2SL 1MPL 2MG 1T ammo to replicate stock loadout without losing my ferro armor. I now know stock loadout sucks, unless you are way way better than the people you play against, which I advanced in tiers to the point I am not anymore. But seriously, when I first started playing some experienced player with a second account dropped in a stock PB and slaughtered half our team.

#12 Judah Malganis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

Overall, I think the 4 small pulses are best, since they basically create zero heat, which allows you to bite ankles for days, but you can also consider compromising on laser types. One build is 2 med lasers and 2 small pulse lasers. Slightly less damage that 4 mediums at close range but can fire twice the number of alpha strikes without overheating and still gives you some ranged dps compared to 4 small pulses. Another one that can be made is drop the engine to 180 XL, add ferro-fibrous armor and go with 2 med pulses and 2 small lasers. It generates slightly more heat than the 2 meds plus 2 small pulses but you cycle damage faster.

#13 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:02 AM

I would go for the 4x SPL and 2x MG's, the ECM allows you to stay unnoticed close to the enemy for a few longer. You gain stealth in return for firepower. If you need firepower then go for the 1E. You can't have both on such a lightweight platform ;).

#14 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:23 AM

My PB runs 4 ML all the time. Sure its hot. But its not the kind of mech/build for prolonged dogfights.
Try it an other way.
Premise: you are playing PUG... If you fight orgonized, communicating team, stop read here.

Thanks to ECM you are nearly invisible. And your speed will make the rest. Run around enemy forces. If done well with map knowledge, you will be behind the enemy before the actual engagement begins.

Now your only advantage over other locusts hit. Even if an enemy can see you, he will not be able to spot you... When mainforces engage, lose 2-3 aphas at the back of the slowest assault and disapear, even if you are not in the optimal range, you will strip his rear torso
--If its an HBR or TBR-A Shoot his 3-energy HP Side torso. THIS makes him realy realy sad--
If the attacked manages to see you, he is still not able to spot you for his team... so you can reposition relatively save.
Than repeat the game.
Every time you do this, an enemy will not be able to shoot your mates and waste his time turning around... I made the exp. that beeing a solo big red dorito on enemies radar lets the enemies watch their backs even in PUGs... With ECM it will be only one assault doing so... Playing this way I harass 1 to 3 assaults at ones for the first 5-6 min preventing them from shooting my mates. In the last half of the game you can hunt damaged assaults and havies down from relatively save 300m.

In good matches I end with 500 to 700 DMG done. My best match was 7 kmdds and over 900 dmg.

Sure an E1 has much more power and is a plain upgrade to PB. But I'm an mediocre light pilot, I trade E1s potential effectivness for the ECMs invisibility of an PB. It makes my LCT much more forgiving and allows me to be an overall effective light pilot.

So short conclusion:

Do you know the maps? Do you have good awareness for the battlefield? Can you predict the the reactions of your victims in 90% of time? Can you pilot an light well?
If you can answer all this questions with yes, play your E1.
If you want a more forgiving LCT, knowing that your skill will be the limiting factor in an E1, play PB with MLs as I do.

#15 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

View PostWindscape, on 14 February 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

4 smpl ( too weak, 1E way better)

wanna go toe to tow, cause thats what i run and ill assassinate you quickly

the 1e is not way better because the lack of ecm..
Run the bane with 4 small pulse, cool down and range radar derp and ecm... and you will not be touched...
I can run around the middle of the enemy team and have no problems....

try again

I put my self on page one lights most kills... with the bane.

#16 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:41 AM

View PostNerokar, on 16 January 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

Do you know the maps? Do you have good awareness for the battlefield? Can you predict the the reactions of your victims in 90% of time? Can you pilot an light well?
If you can answer all this questions with yes, play your E1.
If you want a more forgiving LCT, knowing that your skill will be the limiting factor in an E1, play PB with MLs as I do.

This, the ECM compensates skill limitations.

Also, the Mlas PB plays rather different then the 4xSPL + 2x MG's, the former relies more on alpha striking, needs a bit of range (compared to the SPL's) and pokes stealthy while the SPL version allows for very mobile combat / dogfights where you dance with the enemy.

#17 4lex

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

ecm let you spend more time shooting and less time dodging lrm and fleeing jenners .... skill compensation ?

#18 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

PB Posted Image

#19 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

View Post4lex, on 17 January 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

ecm let you spend more time shooting and less time dodging lrm and fleeing jenners .... skill compensation ?

Yes, you dont need ECM to dodge lrms or ambush / avoid jenners, good situational awarenss and smart movement is all you need. ECM just makes that easier (skill compensation).

Edited by B3R3ND, 17 January 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#20 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

PIRATES' BANE

That's what I run, use it to be a pain in the *** to almost anything, also stealth TAG'ing from behind is pretty funny too.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users