• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:04 PM

VICTORY!!!

Posted Image
Spoiler

Yes to talk about this mech, again. There are some out there who know about this mech all too well and to the Hardcore Battletech fans, that it is to far out for the time line (yes we know this) I am not here to necessarily discuss that, just general discussion on the mech. Yes there are many Mech's out there, no I am not saying this takes priority over any though I would say it should be towards the top of the list when considering future mech's. Either if they jump the time line OR looking for mech's that can fit technologically

Before we start, I would like to give credit to Imperious his passion is unrivaled for this mech some could say.

Mad Cat Mk.II:

90 Ton Clan Assault BattleMech

Posted Image

Mad Cat Mk II by Shimmering-Sword

Spoiler

To quote from Sarna.

Description: The Mad Cat Mk II was in development for fifteen months by the time production began in 3061. The sole rationale for the Mad Cat Mk II was to increase profits for Clan Diamond Shark after war with the Inner Sphere in the 3050s. Designed to be sold to fellow Clans, this rebuild of the Timber Wolf carries thirteen tons of ferro-fibrous armor while being one of most nimble BattleMechs of its class, yet still packing serious weaponry.

Despite this, Mk II's most notable potential buyers, Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon, did not purchase even a single unit, though they won some numbers in Trials. Significant numbers of Mad Cat Mk II were sold to Clan Nova Cat, and the Mech served also in Clan Ice Hellion, Clan Jade Falcon, Clan Wolf-in-Exile in addition to Diamond Shark itself.

On a limited basis, Clan Diamond Shark sold unmodified Mad Cat Mk IIs to Inner Sphere factions, most notably the Draconis Combine and Federated Commonwealth, and also the Lyran Alliance bought an unknown amount of Mad Cat Mark IIs.

Weapons: Mad Cat MK II's primary weapons are a pair of Gauss Rifles, each of which can strip off a ton of armor at six hundred and thirty meters. The rifles are supported by two LRM-10s which give the 'Mech indirect fire capability. For short range combat, four ER Medium Lasers can chew up what's left of the opposition. The Mech's primary role is long to medium range combat, with best performance within 450 meters where all of its weapons can reach the opponent.

Official TRO 3067 information on the Madcat Mk.II:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Design:
There are several designs out there for various Timberwolf/Madcat's some are written in official Battletech some are purely concept art.

-The official Madcat Mk.II however only has 2 designs produced so far with in Battletech lore.

Of these the more reliable of these is probably right out of the Tabletop or TRO

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

(with Direwolf/Warhawk legs)

There is also the original design from the Mechwarrior 4 series:

Posted Image

The basic concept should reflect the original design idea of a up gunned and armored Timberwolf!

Other artworks of Timberwolfs/Madcat'ssome have mentioned for inspiration are that of later variants of the Timberwolf Heavy chassis.

Posted Image

Mad Cat Mk.II MWO concept by CK16

Posted Image

Mad Cat Mk.II Concept by LastKahn.

Posted Image

(Madcat Mk.II Enhanced Assault Mech)

Posted Image

(Madcat Mk.VII Heavy Mech concept)

Posted Image

(Madcat Mk.IV/Savagewolf Heavy Mech)

Posted Image

(Madcat III Medium Mech)

Inspiration could be used to take a little bit off each of these, but I still feel the base for what the MWO design would be based off the Tabletop design and maybe off the MW4. However those angled launchers just scream SHOOT ME and ridge pocking with those would be almost impossible.

Posted Image

(Left to Right: Madcat Mk.II Enhanced, Madcat Mk.II, Timberwolf, Savagewolf)

Loadout:

Posted Image

Mad Cat Mk.II:
90 Ton Assault Mech
14 DHS
Ferro-Fiberous Armor

Mad Cat Mk.II (MC-MK-II)
Posted Image
CT CLAN 360 XL JJ FF14DHS
LT 1x Missile 2x Energy (1x LRM 10, 2x ER-Medium Laser)
RT 1x Missile 2x Energy (1x LRM 10, 2x ER-Medium Laser)
LA 1x Ballistic (1x Clan Gauss)
RA 1x Ballistic (1x Clan Gauss)

Mad Cat Mk.II 2 (MC-MK-II-2)
Posted Image
CT CLAN 360 XL JJ FF 14DHS
LT 2x Missile 1x Energy (2x SRM-4, 1 x ER-Medium Laser)
RT 2x Missile 1x Energy (2x SRM-4, 1 x ER-Medium Laser)
LA 1x Ballistic (1x Clan Gauss)
RA 1x Ballistic (1x LB 20-X AC)

Mad Cat Mk.II 4 (MC-MK-II-4)
Posted Image
CT CLAN 360 XL JJ FF 14DHS
LT 1x Missile (1x LRM 15, Clan Active Probe)
RT 1x Missile (1x LRM 15)
LA 2x Energy (2x ER-Large Laser)
RA 2x Energy (2x ER-Large Laser)

Mad Cat Mk.II 6 (MC-MK-II-6)
Posted Image
CT Clan 360 XL JJ FF 14DHS
LT 2x Energy (2x ER-Medium)
RT 2x Energy (2x ER-Medium)
LA 1x Energy (1x ER-PPC)
RA 1x Energy (1x ER-PPC)

Madcat Mk.II Enhanced (Hero/Champion?)
LT 1x Missile (1x LRM 10)
RT 1x Missile (1x LRM 10)
LA 2x Energy (1x ER-Large Pulse, 1x ER-Medium)
RA 2x Engery (1x ER-Large Pulse, 1x ER-Medium)

Mad Cat Mk.II " Beat Stick" (MC-MK-II-BS)
Posted Image
(Hero/Champion?):Was a favorite among players used by many in MW:LL
LT 1x Ballistic(1x LB 10-X AC)
RT 1x Ballistic (1x LB 10-X AC)
LA 1x Ballistic (1x LB 20-X AC)
RA 1x Ballistic (1x LB 20-X AC)

Mad Cat Mk.II "Siege Engine" (MC-MK-II-SE)
Posted Image
LT 1x Missile (1x LRM 20)
RT 1x Missile (1x LRM 20)
LA 2x Ballistic (2x UAC 5)
RA 2x Ballistic (2x UAC 5)

Mad Cat Mk.II ALT B (MC-MK-II-B )
Posted Image
LT 2x Missile (2x SSRM 6)
RT 2x Missile (2x SSRM 6)
LA 1x Ballistic (1x UAC 20)
RA 1x Ballistic (1x UAC 20)

Posted Image

Now, some at first might cringe thinking of the hit boxes a bit on this mech, and to add to the fact that it isn't the most heavily armored assault mech out there they might have a point. However though not playing the roll of a front line assault mech leading a charge and brawling and taking a beating, this design could be very well suited to mid to long range engagements, the weapon placement on all variants is at cockpit level or higher for the most part (the torso's energy points are slightly below). The mix of LRM's and Gauss Rifles on the original give it great long range firepower and once with in the range of the 4x ER Medium's could rip up any mech out there. The top speed of 68 kph is great combined with the ability to mount Jump jet's give this thing great mobility for an Assault matching some Heavy's! Though yes the earliest! We could see this mech is 3061, technologically it does fit into the game right now, all variants fit.

So I would guess we will be getting it sooner rather then later. 2016 early? I do not think so but with in the next few years if all goes well for the game and PGI. I feel we might get it before a time jump or a time jump will happen and this mech would be one of the first additions to the game for the time jump along with many others that MW fan's have been asking for ages (ie. Bushwacker, Nova Cat, Uziel, Thanatos, ect.) and if they could add a few more tech/weapons a few more options as well (Blood Asp, Fafnir ect). I would be very interested in seeing this added to the game as it could bring in more of the crowd who started playing during MW4 and wanted to see more of the Mech's they wanted but were not in game (yet)

Please keep it civil in here guys, this is a healthy discussion about the Madcat Mk.II and it's place in the game among many others.

Thank You
CK16

Special Thanks to Odanan for the Concept art cover!

Sources:
http://www.sarna.net...i/Mad_Cat_Mk_II
http://wiki.mechlivi...tle=Madcat_MKII
http://mwomercs.com/...s-thread-alive/
http://www.sarna.net...i/Mad_Cat_Mk_IV
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mad_Cat_III

Edited by CK16, 18 March 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:06 PM

Inb4 Imperius.

#3 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:14 PM

The Mk II design was one of the things that really pulled me into the franchise, actually. I loved the aesthetic of it and still do. It was the first mech I piloted in MW4 as well... ahh the memories.....

I'm not sure I want to see it in MWO untill they fix hoverjets though.
That would seriously be depressing.

Edited by armyunit, 14 February 2016 - 10:18 PM.

#4 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

It's an icon? Never heard of it until it was mentioned on these forums.

I don't like the look of it, it just doesn't fit in with the BT universe imo. Looks too sleek, like something from an anime or some other crap.

#5 Tamwulf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 51 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:17 PM

Lots of great fluff!

I can only hope this game will be around long enough to see a Mad Cat IV. ;)

#6 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:20 PM

View PostWolfways, on 14 February 2016 - 10:15 PM, said:

I don't like the look of it, it just doesn't fit in with the BT universe imo. Looks too sleek, like something from an anime or some other crap.

While I still love its design, I gotta agree with you. But I'm sure Alex will be able to make it fit right in with the other mechs in the game, so I wouldn't worry about that.

#7 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:43 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 February 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

Inb4 Imperius.

Shotgun!

...wait. That's not how this works, is it?

Eneweiz. The Mad Cat Mk. II would be tolerable, since most any Clan BattleMech of sufficient mass can glut on weapons and go Whale Lite if it can't do anything else...but I'm not really sure it'd be a standout machine. For one, if the Blood Asp ever materialized it'd pretty much just flat obsolete the Mk. II on the spot. Same weight, same speed, same dual-Gauss centric armament, still jumps if either of its pod-jet configurations comes in, ideal Omni construction for its mass...

I get that the Blood Asp mostly obsoletes the entire Clan assault 'Mech category, but it feels like the thing poops on the Mk. II especially hard. Well...that and Imperius will be absolutely, irredeemably insufferable if the stupid thing makes it in this year. He's already utterly awful to people over this design, and despite what he thinks the timeline is still relevant to Piranha's decisions (if, apparently, increasingly less so).

I don't really see the design being this incredible revolutionary butt-plugger Imperius and co. keep claiming it will be. I do think introducing it prematurely would damage Piranha's ability to continue developing this game, since it'd basically be Floodgates Open for people to start demanding every single 3065 design in all the TROs ever made. After all, if spamming the forums 24/7 with multiple redundant threads and generally being a complete hind end manages to get Piranha to give Imperius his Favorite, why wouldn't it work for everyone else and their Favorites, too?

If it comes in, we'll all adjust and deal...but I'm gonna log a vote as "Concerned". Let's see how the Kodiak release goes before we start pounding down doors for the Mk. II.

#8 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:50 PM

It became Iconic to the Mechwarrior universe with Mechwarrior 4. So much that Wizkids attempt at a TT used the Silhouette of a Madcat Mk.II in the logo, and a few others I believe have as well used a similar logo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Nika Romanova

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:00 PM

That would without question be an assault well designed for cw. I'd take one or two in a clan drop for sure.

#10 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:51 PM

production began in 3061

not timeline appropriate.

at least the kodiak existed in 3001. they only made an exception for some variants.

they didnt make an exception for an entire mech and all its variants.

#11 Whatzituyah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

Wait wheres Mad Cat 3 in this post? Also yes I can count Roman Numerals up to 5 but VII I believe is 7 wheres the source for Mad Cat 7? Wheres 5&6?

#12 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:12 AM

I will get the Madcat 3 in the AM (only have access to a phone right now)

As for the MK.VII it isn't an offical mech design, purely off a deviantart page, it's purely conception, some like it's look, personally I don't like it(I think it looks to much like a King Crab all hunched and what not), however it could have parts used for insperation of the MWO design. Though I peraonally hope not alot, I really like the simple look of the orginal 2.

Edited by CK16, 15 February 2016 - 12:13 AM.

#13 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:17 AM

View PostKhobai, on 14 February 2016 - 11:51 PM, said:

not timeline appropriate.

at least the kodiak existed in 3001. they only made an exception for some variants.

they didnt make an exception for an entire mech and all its variants.

Yes, but it is a mech that fits technologically. I won't scream it should be next. Heck imo best option I think is a time jump mech package with this and 3 others, actually 7! A Clan 4 pack and an IS 4 pack, these being for a time jump possibly a pack that bends the timeline a bit. Trust me I wil admit it I want to see this added, but in the right way.

#14 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:33 AM

View PostFupDup, on 14 February 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

Inb4 Imperius.
I came to this thread specifically to post something like this.

I've nothing against the guy, but he's running this one man crusade so hard, the troll part of my soul just wants to see him thwarted ;)

Personally and entirely aubjectively while I get why people would want this, I find it enormously boring. It's just a bigger, slower timberwolf. By the numbers its decent enough, but to me... It's just another (somewhat larger) timberwolf. *yawn* I'd far sooner see a blood asp.

I'd not be surprised to see the mk2 in game, but I doubt I'd buy it up front. So boring.

#15 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:11 AM

Yes, but it is a mech that fits technologically

it doesnt fit technologically

it wasnt created until 3061

#16 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:33 AM

well I think it looks a bit bulky and not much different than a standard timberwolf but the eye of the beholder see many things differently...

Anyway, It is an iconic mech- it's the "icon" logo mech for MW4 as well as made a storm in for the TT especially for the 3060's time period. It is the most famous clan mech of this time superior in popularity in BT universe and in fanbase for this time period barely riveled by the Cougar, Mad Dog II (which is a normal mad dog with a turret CT... same function as prime) etc...
Do not worry, many iconic mechs everywhere even a die hard may never see it as ... for eg I never saw the grasshoper as an icon..

Anyway, to this topic I think we should add all the decent mechs BEFORE 3053 before we add the 3060's... even than I want the Deimos even more (however I sitll love the Mad Cat II)
Posted Image
Fits all the criteria for tech.
stock prime: 6 UAC 2, 2 LRM 15's, and 2 ER medium lasers. I think it had ECM as well...

View PostKhobai, on 15 February 2016 - 02:11 AM, said:

it doesnt fit technologically

it wasnt created until 3061

yes, however it's tech in terms of armour, engine, and weapons fits timeline, the actual design doesn't but that doesn't matter in PGI's criteria.

#17 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:38 AM

Yep, could care less if its never released!!

And why the need to make a second identical thread about this mech?

Edited by Ace Selin, 15 February 2016 - 02:39 AM.

#18 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:39 AM

View Post1453 R, on 14 February 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

...For one, if the Blood Asp ever materialized it'd pretty much just flat obsolete the Mk. II on the spot.

How, exactly?

#19 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:41 AM

yes, however it's tech in terms of armour, engine, and weapons fits timeline, the actual design doesn't but that doesn't matter in PGI's criteria.

Except it doesnt even have three variants with equipment thats currently in the game.

All but two of the variants use equipment like hardened armor, improved heavy lasers, light active probes, improved jumpjets, harjel III, etc...

And the two variants that use MWO equipment are both TERRIBLE. Who wants to pilot a clan assault with only 4 energy hardpoints and 2 ballistic hardpoints and a bunch of useless missile hardpoints. Thats awful.

Its a timeline inappropriate mech, doesnt even have 3 timeline appropriate variants, and its a bad mech too...

its hardpoint configuration adds absolutely nothing to the game you cant already do better with other clan assaults. Itd be entirely pointless adding the madcat MK2.

Edited by Khobai, 15 February 2016 - 02:55 AM.

#20 WEAREGODS

Rookie

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 4 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:47 AM

And the OP couldn't have posted in this thread - http://mwomercs.com/...s-thread-alive/ - because...?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users