Rifleman Released But The Talk Is About Energy Nerfs

30 replies to this topic

#21 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:13 PM

Can you post some pics of the Legend Killer? Interested in seeing the camo.

#22 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:45 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 16 February 2016 - 04:08 PM, said:

First I can understand the lack of talk about the Rifleman. It is underwhelming on the Black Knight initial release level. The Legend Killer camo is ridiculously bad, especially when compared to the concept art. And it will take millions of c-bills to make the mech marginally playable due to low ammo loads and not being XL friendly. Add in they made an iconic autocannon platform into a energy boat and viola, garbage.

But instead we talk about the IS energy nerf which struck mechs both big and small. Mechs that were a threat to almost no one but the afk received an across the board nerf because balancing is hard yo.

Now if this is some lame attempt to balance populations in CW, what the heck? CW is marginal in the populations that play it, and what PGI did will not create interest in the red headed step child play mode. So now PGI can shuttle the sub species of CW players from IS to Clan but in turn screw over anyone who pilots an IS mech in the majority population.

Does PGI even care anymore?

You knew the hardpoints MONTHS in advance.

They dont balance the game for CW because there is not difference really (outside the maps) but the mechs still need to be on a 1:1 ration in every mode. Thats what they claim to balance for.

How many IS mechs do you own that dont need the DHS tax, Endo or FF (endo more often and both are usually bad) a decent engine, more ammo (because we fire alot more then once a turn here in MWO) and fullish armor?

Every IS mech takes Millions of Cbills to get on par with other skilled, customized mechs. Thats the game...

Sounds like buyers remorse, I dont see you enjoying the Archer much either honestly. They dont have GOOD STOCK loadouts either really. Maybe ask for a refund now....

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 16 February 2016 - 11:13 PM, said:

Can you post some pics of the Legend Killer? Interested in seeing the camo.

You can see it in the NGNG stream from yesterday, i thought it looked fine. He (Sean Lang) had it all blacked out and the mouth looked great to me.

What do you have your setting at Ted?

Edited by Revis Volek, 17 February 2016 - 12:45 AM.

#23 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:28 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 16 February 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

Because VTRs were one of the best mechs in the game and all ran XLs. Not sure what that has to do with STKs and AS7s.

And right now, they are so sluggish and squishy that running an XL in one is just as much of a "kick me" sign as doing so in an Atlas.

#24 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:31 AM

Right now, an XL is a must.
As is endo and in some cases ferro.

The base levels of armour mean you need to spend 2t at least boosting it.

So far, no other comments.

#25 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:45 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 17 February 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

And right now, they are so sluggish and squishy that running an XL in one is just as much of a "kick me" sign as doing so in an Atlas.

Running a STD engine will only make it more sluggish...

#26 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:53 AM

Im confused on why anyone would think a 60t IS mech would be competitive at all without massive quirks...

#27 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:55 AM

View PostAresye, on 16 February 2016 - 05:06 PM, said:

Awwww. Sounds like someone's upset they can't have their 911m effective range, sub-1s duration ERLL crutch anymore.

Actually the OP wasn't really stating his opinion on the nerfs, just that they were overshadowing the Rifleman release and some apparently tongue-in-cheek talk about population balancing conspiracy.

And yes, the nerfs are overshadowing the Rifleman release. Many IS players purchased mechs based on the previous quirks and are a little (or a lot) salty because they are now different than when they purchased them. I learned the lesson of not buying mechs based on quirks after the 9-S and Huginn fiasco.

To me, the rifleman seemed to be more of a "Pokemon collectible" rather than a mech that was needed to fill a role in much the same way that the Urbie was a collectible.

Edited by nehebkau, 17 February 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#28 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 16 February 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

'cries due to how absolutely horrid the newest X-Files episode is'

Personally, I'm having a lot of difficulty getting my Rifleman to work. Hopefully it's just because I'm a bad player.

My advice? Stop trying to run ballistics in them. Build them like porky Blackjacks.

The Jag, five tons heavier, has problems where it has to cut armor or ammo to run ballistics. At five tons lighter, the Rifleman has an even bigger problem. Run STDs in them. Run big energy in the arms - I have only lost an arm in one once, so far. By "big energy," I mean LL or LPLs - like ammo, you're limited in how many DHS you can bring, so PPCs are probably out unless you're JUST running two of them.

#29 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

Ted, c'mon, it takes time before people get used to a new Mech and find the builds they like. Some people run them stock just for the challenge before modifying them.

In addition to the IS Energy Range nerf, other changes went into effect.

Flamers, already someone found out interesting stuff. Another is reporting a Mech with all Flamers has no problem handling heat until he loses 2, then instant shutdown on firing them.

MASC change not yet talked about, Mechs using them are not super popular so it will be a while before a lot of people look at them.

TC changes to see if bigger ones are worth it.

New Private Match maps for smaller battles, they look like tests for Solaris mode.

Blackjack nerf not talked about yet from actual use.

A bunch of other stuff.

You think we can spend all Patch Day going through everything?

#30 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

The size of the mech is kinda funny. I now think I am seeing a family of ducks with Jagers, riflemen and blackjacks. I still just aim for the shoulder.

I ran into more than a few Riflemen in t1-3 games and folks had them hot with uac5s and smplas. It hurt turning the corner. Also a big engine and ac2 (w quirks) can do wonders with suppression fire on the edges. Now it will get crap damage totals, but if played effectively it will help win games compared to other mechs that get better damage.

#31 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 16 February 2016 - 04:08 PM, said:

Now if this is some lame attempt to balance populations in CW, what the heck? .

Just curious

wtf does the rifleman have to do with CW populations....?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users