15 replies to this topic

#1 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

Greetings MechWarriors,

A change we made with the February 16th patch covering the auto-detection of supported DirectX versions seems to be causing Direct3D errors when attempting to launch the client under certain machine configurations.

You should be able to resolve this issue by running through the following steps:
  • Head to your C:\Users\<windows username>\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online folder
  • Open the game.cfg file located there using Notepad
  • If you see a line that says r_Driver="DX9", remove it.
  • Add this text to the bottom of the game.cfg file:
    • r_DXVersion="DX9"
  • Save the game.cfg file
  • Launch MWO and see if the issue persists
  • If you still receive a D3D error, send an e-mail to technical@mwomercs.com and summarize the issue in your e-mail, including the steps you've taken to attempt a resolution.

#2 eazt

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

It seems that those who already tried to use the repair tool will lose their game.cfg and the game will auto load the problematic direct3d. I have copied the game.cfg on thread http://mwomercs.com/...53#entry1446553 in order to rectify my issue by below steps:
  • copy the 'MWO LOWEST PRO CONFIG' found on the aforementioned thread.
  • create the file named game.cfg on C:\Users\<windows username>\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online
  • paste the content on the newly created game.cfg
  • start the launcher and make the other changes back to your desired settings.

#3 karish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 184 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

ok there has to be an easier way to fix what you broke and now it looks like the repair tool has made the issue even worse

ok this does not work and the repair does not work an doing a full re-install does not work how do you shut off the premium time because it look like a lot of us will be gone from this game for a while since there isnt a big push to fix this or info from the devs

Edited by karish, 17 February 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#4 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:11 AM

View Postkarish, on 16 February 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

ok there has to be an easier way to fix what you broke and now it looks like the repair tool has made the issue even worse

Not so sure. The issue exists on machines with GTX 2xx or older nVidia graphics cards. Might be drivers incorrectly returning values. Anyway, the ability to open a file and change a line in it is considered the basic user skill.

For just in case, if the repair tool was used and game.cfg file is not there, then it easily can be created manually. Here are its contents:
; DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE!
r_DXVersion="DX9"
d3d9_TripleBuffering=0
r_txaa=0
r_msaa=0
r_postaa=0

View PostAlexander Garden, on 16 February 2016 - 05:56 PM, said:

Greetings MechWarriors,

A change we made with the February 16th patch covering the auto-detection of supported DirectX versions seems to be causing Direct3D errors when attempting to launch the client under certain machine configurations.

You should be able to resolve this issue by running through the following steps:
  • Head to your C:\Users\&lt;windows username&gt;\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online folder
  • Open the game.cfg file located there using Notepad
  • If you see a line that says r_Driver=&quot;DX9&quot;, remove it.
  • Add this text to the bottom of the game.cfg file:
    • r_DXVersion=&quot;DX9&quot;
  • Save the game.cfg file
  • Launch MWO and see if the issue persists
  • If you still receive a D3D error, send an e-mail to technical@mwomercs.com and summarize the issue in your e-mail, including the steps you've taken to attempt a resolution.

Add a tip that if the file is missing after the repair tool was used, then it can be manually created with default 'safe' contents.

#5 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:22 AM

Fixed it for me.

#6 Cobra Kai

Rookie

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

I have a GTS 250 and the this workaround does not fix my issue.

#7 SparksZA C

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts
  • LocationZA - VDBP

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

Thanks .. fixed it for me ..

#8 blindhai

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:12 PM

View Posteazt, on 16 February 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

It seems that those who already tried to use the repair tool will lose their game.cfg and the game will auto load the problematic direct3d. I have copied the game.cfg on thread http://mwomercs.com/...53#entry1446553 in order to rectify my issue by below steps:
  • create the file named game.cfg on C:\Users\<windows username>\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online

This old cfg still works correctly?

#9 Apollo777

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 265 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:51 PM

I have the same issue and it didnt help me!!!

I even reinstaled whole game but still cant play Posted Image(

It works :)) my problem is solved.

Thank you very much :))

Edited by Apollo777, 17 February 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#10 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

View Postblindhai, on 17 February 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

This old cfg still works correctly?

This works correctly (checked):

r_DXVersion="DX9"
d3d9_TripleBuffering=0
r_txaa=0
r_msaa=0
r_postaa=1

#11 skudmunky

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:42 PM

View Postpyrocomp, on 17 February 2016 - 02:11 AM, said:

Not so sure. The issue exists on machines with GTX 2xx or older nVidia graphics cards. Might be drivers incorrectly returning values. Anyway, the ability to open a file and change a line in it is considered the basic user skill.

I have a GTX 560 TI and have this problem. Changing the game.cfg fixed it.

#12 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

After this patch my game went from a solid 30fps to like 5 fps in game. No settings seem to be changed so I ran the repair tool. My FPS got worse. Somehow. Then the game crashed. So I checked the forums, found this post and applied this fix -

View Posteazt, on 16 February 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

Worked like a charm. Solid 40 fps stationary, 28 fps minimum moving. A few games later I encountered an eternal loading screen. After staring at it for around 8 minutes I killed the game process forcibly from the task manager. Now whenever I start the game I'm back down to 9 fps in matches.

It takes less hoodoo to get mw3 to run on a windows 7 machine than it does to get MWO to stabilize long enough to play. Ever the emotional goddamn roller coaster trying to play.

#13 OP8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

Did not fix it for me. Started doing it second last patch but the repair tool worked. After most recent patch, repair tool doesn't work, replacing game.cfg does not work. 64bit has never not crashed, 32 bit worked till recently. Game played flawlessly at decent frame rate 2 patches ago. 9800GT, I5-4690, 64 bit WIN10.

Note: the Feb 18th hot fix patch solved this issue for now.

Edited by OP8, 18 February 2016 - 09:37 PM.

#14 karish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 184 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

Having to do this every time i start the game is getting very old

#15 Kurni

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

Having this problem too (4 times in 12 matches today)

NVIDIA 560ti
Intel i5 2310
win7-x64

running in DX11 mode
my cfg file:

; DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE!
r_Driver="DX11"
d3d9_TripleBuffering=0
r_txaa=0
r_msaa=0
r_postaa=0

should i modify the file too? (replacing DX9 with DX11?)

#16 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostKurni, on 21 February 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

Having this problem too (4 times in 12 matches today)

NVIDIA 560ti
Intel i5 2310
win7-x64

running in DX11 mode
my cfg file:

should i modify the file too? (replacing DX9 with DX11?)

Since 560 is listed as being officially supporting DX11 on nVidia site you should not have problems if the driver is up to date and everything is working correctly (e.g. repair tool finds nothing). You may, however, try that as right now DX9 looks like 'safe mode' for MWO. Posted Image

Edited by pyrocomp, 22 February 2016 - 02:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users