16 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostmaker

• PipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGalatea

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

Just wanted to give a shout out to MWO for what i feel is a job well done with the RFL. I feel that it plays like it reads in the original 3028 TRO. She runs hot and has tin-foil for armor in the back. Exactly what it is supposed to be, a barrage mech not a brawler. I've already seen people try and make her into some sort of laser boating brawler and just get taken apart at range by a more true RFL. I'm a staunch traditionalist when it comes to my battletech, but i understand that it doesn't fly on here. Still, this mech manages to tickle my 'don't-mess-with-my-BT' bone.

There is no sarcasm implied here BTW, I appreciate that attention to detail to the TRO.

I love it.

Thank you.

#2 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

View PostGhostmaker, on 16 February 2016 - 08:15 PM, said:

Just wanted to give a shout out to MWO for what i feel is a job well done with the RFL. I feel that it plays like it reads in the original 3028 TRO. She runs hot and has tin-foil for armor in the back. Exactly what it is supposed to be, a barrage mech not a brawler. I've already seen people try and make her into some sort of laser boating brawler and just get taken apart at range by a more true RFL. I'm a staunch traditionalist when it comes to my battletech, but i understand that it doesn't fly on here. Still, this mech manages to tickle my 'don't-mess-with-my-BT' bone.

There is no sarcasm implied here BTW, I appreciate that attention to detail to the TRO.

I love it.

Thank you.

I was the same way with my Warhammers, the 6R was perfect.

#3 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

Same for me with the MAD lol.

Always going to be difficult to redesign that mech but I like what they did and I find it such a great experience to pilot.

#4 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

Well my rifleman is ready

http://goo.gl/u4NPIQ

#5 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

Bring on the Archer... i paid for it months ago XD

#6 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:26 PM

they drop like flies... people try to play it like a Jagermech it seems but forget they should play it like a dragon (which means stay the fox out of fights). I only played a fw matches yesterday and they go down extremely fast. Some don't even return from a little peek over a hill.

Not that I am surprised, playing the quickdraw I know exactly how fast you can die but players seem to think their mech can take something. Will be a nice lol-weekend I guess...

Edited by 627, 17 February 2016 - 12:51 AM.

#7 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

mediums are tougher than this thing and the tonnage-payload equation just doesn't work out... But dayum does it look cool or what!?
Coolness alone means ill be driving it regularly.

#8 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:50 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 16 February 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

Well my rifleman is ready

http://goo.gl/u4NPIQ

Too many flamers, you can get the same effect with two less and two more DHS's.

#9 Wild Pegasus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:52 AM

View Post627, on 16 February 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

they drop like flies... people try to play it like a Jagermech it seems but forget they should play it like a dragon (which means stay the fox out of fights). I only played a fw matches yesterday and they go down extremely fast. Some don't even return from a little peek over a hill.

Not that I am surprised, playing the quickdraw I know exactly how fast you can day but players seem to think their mech can take something. Will be a nice lol-weekend I guess...

It seems like the best way to play a Rifleman is to hang around near the assaults and lay down supplemental fire on whoever they're shooting, or chase any snipers off nearby hills. But of course that means people wouldn't be getting any big-money solo kills, so good luck in getting them to willingly relegate themselves to the second-line role like the thing was meant to occupy.

#10 Jaqir

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:55 AM

From the couple games I've had the time to play after the patch: Rifleman is great. Sure, it breaks if someone looks at it angrily enough, but it's fun to pilot, looks good, packs a punch and suits medium-long range play style, which I'm more than okay with. Wouldn't be against maybe a few extra structure points to torso, but whatever. Also apparently if I strip enough armor I can have a 60-tonner with 2xAC20 (Won't, but could. Well, maybe to try out at some point...)

#11 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:50 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 17 February 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

Too many flamers, you can get the same effect with two less and two more DHS's.
aside from there being no space to put in 2 dhs, it is alread underweight due to lack of room. Why the hell would I need more heat disipation. The flamers produce no relevant heat when used by someone who knows what they are doing and the current heat disipation is overkill for 2 LPLs.

Edited by ThomasMarik, 17 February 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#12 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:52 AM

The RFL is an awesome mech as it stands. The perfect combination of BlackJack and Jaeger gameplay. I'm gonna have a lot of fun in these!

#13 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:53 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 17 February 2016 - 01:50 AM, said:

aside from there being no space to put in 2 dhs. Why the he'll would I need more heat disipation. The flamers produce no relevant heat when used by someone who knows what they are doing and the current heat dusipation is overkill for 2 LPLs.

Its also overkill with the way flamers work currently.

Just saying, 4 do what 6 do.

Jimmies Rustled.

#14 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:54 AM

People who play a riflemen like it should, are finding themselves ranking up in kills. I was killed twice already in 3 matches because i failed to target the long distance rifleman. 2 Large lasers and 2 AC5's quickly tear your mech up

#15 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:56 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 17 February 2016 - 01:53 AM, said:

Its also overkill with the way flamers work currently.

Just saying, 4 do what 6 do.

Jimmies Rustled.

4 inflict 18 heat per second
6 inflict 27 heat per second

18 =/= 27

#16 Ghostmaker

• PipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGalatea

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:04 AM

Used it a lot last night in PUGs. Used it in the way it was supposed to be played (IMO) and then used it like it was some form of atlas-made-heavy-weight slugger/brawler that should slay all things....kinda like a big Urbie.

I found using it at range (rifleman...not pistol-man, duelist, or gunfighter) as a barrage/support unit was the best fit. Fall in with the assaults or the mediums and supplement their fire and things start to die twice as fast and BAM let the steam roller begin. I would say it sped up the kill time drastically when i followed the meds/strikes around and just laid fire down for them. Not so much faster with the assaults. Say what you want about heavies being the best in the game, but if you get cornered and slow against 2 fatties, they can lay the pain.

When i used it like a dummy i died like a dummy. That is all i am going to say about trying to brawl with this mech, even with the armor all the way up and all the bells and whistles on.

It's a lance mech, made to operate with its lance to enhance its lance.

Great mech, one of my favs.

Edited by Ghostmaker, 17 February 2016 - 06:06 AM.

#17 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

Used mine lastnight in Super Stock, DHS+Endo for upgrades, used as a second or third line Mech, works fantastically, be stupid with it, and get punished... Just like when the Warhammer arrived, mine (WHM-6R Super Stock) slaughtered MetaHammers due to being able to manage heat better.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users