1 reply to this topic

#1 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

So, giving thought to some of the ideas for expanding the Mechwarrior Academy, and to the potential limitations for its expansion (memory was mentioned previously by Mr. Forsey), I propose the following as a rough outline of a future iteration of the Mechwarrior Academy:

The Academy tutorial should be expanded to a series, to include
-BASIC TRAINING
-EXPLORE ACADEMY I (The current EXPLORE ACADEMY, in River City MWA map)
-INDIVIDUAL COMBAT TRAINING (New map choice, preferable big and moderate temp, like Forest Colony)
-EXPLORE ACADEMY II (The ICT map, prepared as the EXPLORE ACADEMY I)
-SMALL UNIT COMBT TRAINING (CW tutorial utilizing existing and developing assets for turrets and AI mechs)
-EXPLORE ACADEMY III (The SUCT map, prepared as the EXPLORE ACADEMY I)

The pop-up window that appears after clicking 'TUTORIAL' from the HOME screen would be expanded to include the added options, with only one box able to be checked at any time.

The ICT tutorial would cover advanced topics proposed in other threads, including but not limited to
-LRM avoidance and counter-LRM tactics
-General use of available cover (terrain, buildings, etc.)
-ECM and counter-ECM operations
-Range brackets, HUD symbology, and proper target/weapon selection
-Introduction to resource collector and base assets; introduction to QUICK PLAY game modes (Assault, Skirmish, Conquest) and their objectives
-A capstone exercise

The EXPLORE ACADEMY II option would allow players to replay any of the tutorial or optional exercises in the ICT.

The SUCT tutorial would cover topics peculiar to Community/Faction Warfare, including but not limited to
-Drop Deck composition and selection, including tonnage min/max limits
-CW/FW-peculiar assets, such as gates, O-Gens, gate generators, etc.
-Introduction to CW/FW game modes (Attack, Defend, Counter Attack, Hold Territory)
-A capstone exercise

The ICT and EA II would take place on a separate map from BT and EA I; Recommend Forest Colony for size, temperature, and lighting (including the existing ability to alter time-of-day).

The SUCT and EA III would take place on a separate map from BT/EA I and ICT/EA II; Recommend Hellebore Springs for size and temperature, and accessibility of gate generators for a variety of mech configurations (Emerald Taiga gate generators MAY be difficult for new players to hit consistently in certain mech configurations, for instance).

Thoughts?

I feel that it should be workable around the memory problem, by using a new map without many of the Academy's existing assets. Captain Adams and his indestructible Atlas can be there, sure, and so should a reasonable array of alternate mechs for the player to swap into while in the tutorial (would be great to showcase the variety of Champion and Hero mechs, if they were NOT the same ones already used in the BT/EA I iteration of the Academy).

So, three maps for three different phases of player development and play. One for general basic skills, one for more solo-queue-applicable skills, and one for CW/FW-peculiar skills. Each builds upon the skills developed in the previous, and would require successful completion of the previous before becoming available. And sure, make successful completion of the SUCT tutorial mandatory before entering a CW/FW match, so as to be sure that at least new pilots HAD to have been exposed to the basic rules and concepts of the game mode before attempting to play it.

Anyhow, it's late and my internet connection sucks (ComCast can't seem to find a single coax splitter in my apartment, nor can the folks who OWN the building, and it seems that splitter is causing me lag spikes to/beyond 2000 ms and holding >500 for >15 seconds), so that's it for now.

#2 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:17 PM

More thoughts on this...

Perhaps one or both of the suggested new maps, and perhaps even a revamp of the existing Academy map, could take place on something like the new 4v4 maps in private lobby. The assets seem to be less resource-intensive for systems, and would allow for some creativity in crafting maps that provide a generalized combat environment without leaning specifically on the more resource-intensive existing maps (River City seems to be a bit of a resource hog, to be honest). Lacking the high-definition textures, particle effects, etc., should free up more memory resources and processor cycles, to make the Academy experience a bit more friendly and smooth.

I would also recommend that further iterations of Academy content remain focused on the player piloting IS mechs, but have more (if not exclusively) Clan mechs for targets and enemies. Could even see a specifically Clan-focused script for Captain Adams, so as to improve the immersion experience in the immediate post-invasion Inner Sphere. Or not. Just thinking sorta out-loud here.

And again, I think the Academy's player-selectable mechs (the hot-seat ones that we can swap into) should be a continuing feature, and should include more of the existing variety of Champion and Hero mechs in the game (especially any new builds that are marketed going forward, as there have been more community designs solicited by Tina in the last couple months).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users