Why Are Jenner Iic Pilots Bad?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:54 AM

I have to ask. Why are jenner IIC pilots so bad? Why is it so common right now for jenner IIC pilots to rush the entire enemy team? If you pilot the jenner IIC are you a relatively good pilot when you play other light mechs? While suicide light rushes are nothing new, they seem to be very prevalent with jenner IIC, I do not play clan mechs, so perhaps someone can explain this to me. As an observer, It looks very dumb.

#2 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:01 AM

When you turn the corner and have the entire enemy team, you have to dedicate and continue with your movement. As turning around and running away or reversing will just result in a petty death. Following through, firing at the enemy. and evading the enemy could give a slim chance of survival but it's mainly a last ditch effort to throw in more damage.

This could be partly due to the fact the jenner iIC is the newest light mech thus not many people got speed tweak or most agility based skills yet. Thus it's harder to escape. The other problem is that it IS a jenner. Doesn't quite fit the firestarter/ ember poky pew pew game play. it plays more like a jenner / locust which is quite a bit more suicidal.

#3 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

Turning the corner and facing the entire enemy team or even just 4-5 should not be unexpected given the fact that its the very beginning of the match and the jenner pilot has chosen to rush way ahead. Shouldn't the jenner instead stay with the team and wait until some enemys take some damage before trying something like that? As good as the SRM variant of jenner IIC is, I don't understand why so many people play it so stupidly.

#4 Wagamama

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts
  • LocationHaida Gwaii

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:52 PM

Did you catch the name of the pilot? Maybe Leroy Jenkins was playing.

#5 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:08 AM

View PostSoulscour, on 22 February 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

Turning the corner and facing the entire enemy team or even just 4-5 should not be unexpected given the fact that its the very beginning of the match and the jenner pilot has chosen to rush way ahead. Shouldn't the jenner instead stay with the team and wait until some enemys take some damage before trying something like that? As good as the SRM variant of jenner IIC is, I don't understand why so many people play it so stupidly.

Well, Light mechs at the core of their strengths is Scouting. Finding the enemy...

if they are more suitable hidding in their team... than why take a light? using a stock hunchback would be more effective... and using one with upgrades is immensely more better.

Or any other medium or heavy mech as they are much more effective and deathballs than lights.

A huge part of Light gameplay involves not being with the team. This is targeting down isolated assault or LRM or sniper mechs. Chassing of other light mechs, Scouting, spotting, recon, etc. etc. etc. They are not brawlers, they can be snipers but not as much as a heavier mech. They can't be juggernauts, skirmishers... maybe an LRM boat but that's reserved to the Clans nearly... etc.

You may think it's stupid for a jenner IIC to be more than 300 meters away from a deathball but many would consider it stupid not to be.

#6 Yozzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:55 AM

With the IIC I hide also in the team if I got SRM's.
It's really fragile compared to the oxide or cheatah...
It's just not made for scouting...Posted Image

#7 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:09 AM

I'm hurt...i really am. Posted Image as a light Mechwarrior i'm hurt by this remark/thread.

The Jenner's in general have a large CT and if your in a light and you run into the enemy team you either:

a) run away and get cored in the back like a dog.

b)charge in and nip at their heels die like a true Light mechwarrior should....causing chaos among the enemy and cause a team kill or two.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 23 February 2016 - 01:09 AM.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:15 AM

You forgot option 3.

c) learn the standard tactics and movement patterns and dont run into the enemy team unexpectedly at an expected point in the first place.

It is not rocket science that the enemy team will be at their spawn points at the start of a match and will be roughly moving towards you... what is the point of a scout at that point checking if this is really true? A real lightmech pilot would not be moving towards the enemy, but will try to flank from the side. This is done by moving to one side at first, then moving towards the enemy spawn along a alternate path where normally no one goes. The chances of any surprise meeting with the entire team is much lower this way.

#9 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:21 AM

Maybe because going in SRMs / lasers blazing is fun whether you insta die or get to core some enemy mechs out. Sometimes you time your run and the enemies reposition and spot you instead of a end run into them, so you keep going.
Not everybody is just trying to save their K/D

Edited by Ace Selin, 23 February 2016 - 01:23 AM.

#10 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:33 PM

+1 I also like to shout Leeroy Jenkins when I do it. And nothing is more fun than finding a solo Dire with a IIc Jenner :)

#11 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

The whole reason: they're not sneaky enough.

Seriously. It isn't enough to have a heavy/assault class alpha... if you can't get into position to deliver it, you might as well be doing battle in a Yugo. Same holds true for UAC20 Adders, Urbies, etc. You have to have good situational awareness to make the most of lights that carry that much boom into a match. JR7-IIC is (thankfully) only really dangerous when driven by someone intelligent enough to wait for the right opportunity. Impatient fools die quickly, as they well ought to.

#12 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:33 PM

Leeroy Jenkins is the World of Warcraft player. You guys are getting him confused with his cousin who plays Mechwarrior Online, LEEROY JENNERKINS!

#13 Major Lag

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:13 AM

nvm.

Edited by Major Lag, 08 November 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#14 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:26 AM

cause of the sheer number of people using them right now? and you're right, suicide light is nothing new to MWO, so it just seems like more JR7s are dying cause more people are using them.

#15 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:42 PM

Yeah, i dunno why people rush in to their deaths in an lrm boat either.... (scouting? bap+targeting comp+smaller engine+ adv sensors) how close do you REALLY need to be to find them.

#16 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:51 PM

Jenner llC tips:

Dont run off with all the other fancy lights. Stay with fatties.

Wait till fatties get in mid-to-brawl range and hide behind them.

When opportunities open, flank out and SRm some one's face. Its even better if they are engaged with your fatties.

Vulture like a boss.

#17 DoctorGizmo

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 9 posts
  • LocationArizona, United States

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:57 PM

It's mainly due to how shiny the clan 'mech is, and they think they can take you on with it's weaponry. :D

#18 DashFire61

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPasadena, California

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

Real Jenner llc advice, under no circumstances do you stay in a deathball, flank the enemy team, wait until they engage ally or are otherwise distracted, and core out their back in 1 or 2 shots.

#19 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

With no quirks making it as tough as most over buffed lights the IIC is rather fragile for a light mech.

As such need to play the IIC differently more timid then most lights, which most people dont get. They see the JJ's and Speed and giggle unfortunately there missing important parts.

#20 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

I'd say it's the jenner iic stupidly bad ct hitbox's fault.
Folks falsely assume the jen IIC is a light and can be played as such while in reality the jen iic is just the sidetorso of an XL awesome on two legs.
Honestly tho, if you manage to find 3 people of the opposing team, who all happen to shoot in a different direction at once, at least 2 of them will very likely hit the jen IIC's centertorso.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users