71 replies to this topic

#1 Lucifaust

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 116 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:43 AM

Hello,

I repeatedly notice fleas are overpowered in public games.

People are complaining constantly because these mechs particular combo of speed, small hitboxes and large amount of energy firepower are too far above everyone else.

I agree, fleas are extremely hard to hit unless standing still.

Assaults and heavies frequently run and cower from a single flea. Their hitboxes, and tankiness from small hitboxes, are their primary reason for OPness. I suggest larger hitboxes to balance the mech more fairly.

in b4 'i play a flea so it isn't op.'

Fleas are op. Discuss.

Edited by Lucifaust, 04 September 2020 - 11:44 AM.

#2 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:02 PM

View PostLucifaust, on 04 September 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

Hello,

People are complaining constantly because these mechs particular combo of speed, small hitboxes and large amount of energy firepower are too far above everyone else.

Assaults and heavies frequently run and cower from a single flea. Their hitboxes, and tankiness from small hitboxes, are their primary reason for OPness. I suggest larger hitboxes to balance the mech more fairly.

Fleas are op. Discuss.

Are you suggesting a re-scaling?...because the thing is tiny so it has all tiny hit boxes...to make the hit boxes larger you would have to make the mech larger and that isn’t likely at this point in the game. Listen, I run the 17 a lot and it is very strong. It’s hit boxes aren’t probably as salty as the commando, but it’s the size+ masc that makes opponents sweat... That said a lot of tier 1 guys don’t have to much problem with hitting them as is. As far as firepower...No flea I can think of carries a alpha of even 30 damage....so, it doesn’t really hit too hard....but it can and often does hit frequently if you use your heat right. However, the better builds are all short range, so it’s a high risk high reward mech that requires a talented pilot to make it sing. It’s strong, but fine as it is...

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 04 September 2020 - 12:07 PM.

#3 Beorning

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:19 PM

Scale is all over the place for mechs, as if making it bigger solves everything so I see 40 ton mechs as tell as assaults. Scale is also wrong on speeds, you are slower than you think - not even half as fast, but you can thank the crybabies who lobbied to nerf small laser hunchbacks (you might not believe it) in the beta because they shot like poop and couldn't kill them before their 100 tons of death died a thousand small cuts.

Assaults have gimped torso speeds to make up for the half speed fakery (to give light pilots a chance). Most mechs also have this stupid torso pitch restriction, probably so everybody can wave their arms around and say 'hey we are not MW4 .. never mind MW3'.

All I can tell you is work as a team and work on your aim.

#4 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:21 PM

Fleas are op. Discuss.

They appear to be strong due to how tiny their hitboxes are in MW:O. They aren't OP, it's just the general nature of how wonky hitreg is in the crytec engine and how hard they are to hit. That's just the general rule with light mechs in MW:O. Outside of MW:O light mechs in general are pretty garbage.

#5 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

The -20 doesn't need the armor. And everything but the -20 need reasons to exist.

The real crime was nerfing Locusts, which had fun niche potential, and then leaving them there. Same tonnage, yet why would ever take anything but a Pirate's Bane unless you had some enigmatic statement to make?

#6 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:29 PM

Small size and agility is literally the only defence of the Flea. It 20-t anti-infantry 'Mech with paper-thin armor. With bigger hitboxes it will become walking coffin.

Maybe you should work on your aim, or bring skill-based weapons like Streak missiles, which designed to counter light 'Mechs?

Also, "large amount of firepower"? Dude, it's IS 20-t 'Mech, it dosen't have anything large or sustained enough. Best it can do is 5.33 dps in knife range.

#7 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:44 PM

I die to Fleas as much as anyone. Probably even more than most given my poor situational awareness and mediocre aiming skill, but it's not OP. Leave it alone. It's practically the only thing left that still has true niche value and allowed to be good at it when in competent hands. They've taken so much from the game. So many mechs brought down to a baseline of blah. They don't need to take this one too.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:57 PM

fleas are fine. problem is lights dont attract the kind of scrubs that assaults do. so when i chew my way threw the back armor of a king crab without eliciting so much as a response, it makes me question that players skill. especially when i can take the same mech and one hit a flea with it. assaults with low hardpoints are perfect for ganking small lights.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 September 2020 - 01:17 PM.

#9 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:24 PM

I don't find fleas particularly problematic, if you shoot them they tend to die very quickly.

I guess since most mechs in this game are incredibly slow it might be difficult to adjust.

But that doesn't make them op.

Edited by BlaizerP, 04 September 2020 - 01:27 PM.

#10 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:42 PM

Hello,

Fleas are op. Discuss.

Large amounts of firepower???

They usually have very little firepower when compared to other lights and can often be ignored while shooting dangerous targets. Plus, when you shoot them they die.

#11 Katrina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:46 PM

Bring a boomjager and watch those flee legs go flying.

#12 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:42 PM

Us fleas are a kind and gentle people, OP, a poor and squishy people with hardly any lazors to speak of. Why for do you do this terrible thing to us?

#13 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:47 PM

View PostCapt Deadpool, on 04 September 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

Us fleas are a kind and gentle people, OP, a poor and squishy people with hardly any lazors to speak of. Why for do you do this terrible thing to us?

^ this, Fleas don't even have jump jets, so they cannot do the one thing fleas in real life do. How sad is that? The next time you see a Flea, don't murder it by sneezing in its general direction. Instead, give it a hug :3

#14 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:33 PM

Funny thread given how many years and nearly identical claims were done to the Jenners. Sure we can nerf their armor to just 8 armor maybe 10 with full survival skills. Pretty sure the 35ts got the nerfs to sell the 20ts. Just compare base quirks. Lets start nerfing their mobility or just make them rescaled like the jenners.

#15 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 06:29 PM

Hello,

Fleas are op. Discuss.

They are not op.
We should make this a discussion on how to make fleas better.

View PostRickySpanish, on 04 September 2020 - 04:47 PM, said:

^ this, Fleas don't even have jump jets, so they cannot do the one thing fleas in real life do. How sad is that? The next time you see a Flea, don't murder it by sneezing in its general direction. Instead, give it a hug :3

Instead of a hug we should get a jumping quirk. No jump jets, just when you press the jj button it does a quick but fairly short jump that uses all of the jj bar, once the bar refills you can do it again.

#16 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:33 PM

Hello,

Fleas are op. Discuss.

I hate fleas and even own one but hardly use them. If you think they're so overpowered, buy one and climb jarl's list in it. Sometimes, it's the player that's good.

#17 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:50 PM

Hello,

Fleas are op. Discuss.

If you think fleas are op, check out the urban mech. They can actually fit a large gun and have the armor of a heavy mech whilst running faster than half of them.

#18 Deadead

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:51 PM

fleas seem marginally harder to kill then locusts. Unlike locusts, they have a more favorable shape and that MASC goes a long way on something so small and fast to begin with. As a guy that uses a lot of lasers and SRMS they're ******* hell for me to kill.

THAT SAID. they are so far from OP it's laughable.
What you're seeing isn't an OP mech. it's a *good* light pilot who knows how to pick fights he has a chance of surviving.

Know why they seem to ALWAYS get away from you? cause the ones that don't learn how to read their odds before getting into any engagement and come out ahead, get blown away before you see them.

That pilot you're engaging is in your same tier bracket, and driving something who's total weight is probably less then the guns you loaded into one COMPONENT. Seriously my mediums tend to have over 20 tons of gun+ammo. nevermind heavies and assaults....

MWO 'tiers' are heavily skewed towards damage dealt, andyou can't deal damage while you're dead, and since the pilot is working with so much less firepower on top of survivability, with less dps, less alpha, and less heat to work with at that.
The *pilot* almost has to be dramatically better then the people he's being qued with just to break even.
The same is true of locusts. Commandos get a pass because they have truly ridiculous armor quirks,though i bet most of the pilots could do just as well in a flea or locust.

If you think it's so remarkably OP, try running one yourself and see how long you last compared to the fleas you've been facing.

I run a lot of lights, but i DON'T run fleas or locusts, specifically because I'm not good enough to make them work that kind of magic. i own half a dozen and can barely break 250 dmg in any of them on a good game,and very often i get only double digits out before i eat a doublegauss or 2 erppc somewhere i can't afford to and turn into a grease spot. But I regularly do 600 in a jenner or panther, and have occasionally broken the 1k club in both.... considering how bad people think jenners and panthers are due to hitbox or hardpoint issues respectively, and how 'OP' you think fleas are, that would be absolutely bizarre wouldn't it. granted my experience is anecdotal and not representative, but if the mech itself were so OP you'd think the majority of pilots would use them instead of all the other more popular lights. But they're still pretty damned rare near as i can see. so likely other light pilots feel similarly.

TLDR: Fleas aren't OP, the guy putting up 1k dmg in a 20 tonner is *just that good*. You do those pilots a disservice by blaming their ride for their effectiveness. as a light guy i *wish* i could pull off half the crap those pilots do.

#19 Beorning

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 03:41 AM

The raven looks like it has been scaled so much it's walk is silly.

#20 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 11:28 AM

Let's talk about those scummy light pilots who will just keep hugging your assault mech because they can't be knocked down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users