57 replies to this topic

#1 Ball Pit

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:14 AM

why dont these mechs have a back up camera? most modern day military vehicles have back up cameras or cameras on the outside, maybe its a module ive not unlocked or paid any attention too.

#2 Jerry Beard

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

M1 Abrams don't..lol

#3 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:30 AM

The short answer is that years ago PGI complained that the game engine did not handle picture in picture very well and that a back view camera would be technically difficult if not impossible. With a new release of the engine coming out soon maybe that will change. Or maybe it has always been possible but PGI just doesn't want to bother.

#4 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:34 AM

Give me an intermittent beep siren so people stay off my rear when i back up in my Atlas...but i doubt it would have an effect.

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:37 AM

View PostBall Pit, on 23 February 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

why dont these mechs have a back up camera?

PGI warned you: "Not your father's MechWarrior."

View PostBall Pit, on 23 February 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

most modern day military vehicles have back up cameras or cameras on the outside, maybe its a module ive not unlocked or paid any attention too.

I would like to see rear-view camera implemented too.

PGI once said that Picture-in-Picture rear-view would hurt the game engine performance.
However, what about flippable rear-view camera, such as what we know from MechWarrior 4? I would be perfectly okay with such solution.

Edited by martian, 23 February 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#6 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:56 AM

It'd be really nice to have a "camera" switch type of view, that shows you a view from the docked 3RD person drone.
It could be a module, or just standard for all mechs...

Some people are confused by this and insist that PIP is not possible. This is not PIP. This is an entirely new view that you see. Only one screen is being rendered - either the front, or the rear view. Just to be clear :)

Front view (normal view)
Posted Image

What drone rear view would look like
Posted Image

#7 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

Given that a Targeting Computer weighs in at a minimum of one tonne and a Command Console weighs in at 3(?) tonnes I dread to think how heavy a camera suite would be.

#8 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:08 AM

Same reason why advanced zoom is not a proper PiP. Game engine doesn't handle it very well and cost too much performance.

And since the game only fully renders whats in view, imagine the stutters and freeze-lag you'd get from suddenly rendering everything behind you. (I'm sure some have experienced lag spikes when dropping from the dropship and the game have to start rendering things as they come into view.)

#9 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

Lostech. Because PGI.

#10 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:18 AM

View PostFunky Bacon, on 23 February 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

Same reason why advanced zoom is not a proper PiP. Game engine doesn't handle it very well and cost too much performance.

And since the game only fully renders whats in view, imagine the stutters and freeze-lag you'd get from suddenly rendering everything behind you. (I'm sure some have experienced lag spikes when dropping from the dropship and the game have to start rendering things as they come into view.)
If a creaker like WWII Online can handle rear view cameras and 300 degree mouselook with no issues, this engine can as well.

And refusing to add a completely optional feature because some potatoes might bake is a cop-out. At some point we need to move forward instead of backward.

#11 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

I've written a couple times about similar.

- this was my latest idea - a close proximity radar.
*** Notice the small round radar next to the long range radar.

Posted Image

Edited by Freebrth, 23 February 2016 - 09:14 AM.

#12 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

Better yet, why don't mech have rear firing weapon.....

#13 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

Russ said they system would basically have to render everything twice. So you're talking a 50% hit to your fps.

#14 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:49 AM

View PostJerry Beard, on 23 February 2016 - 07:20 AM, said:

M1 Abrams don't..lol

Having driven an Abrams, I can verify the veracity of this statement.

Also, as cool as those videos of Abrams catching air of a sand berm look, it's nowhere near as cool if you're sitting down in the gunners chair, or worse, trying to use boresighting when said tank jumps...

#15 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:49 AM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 23 February 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

The short answer is that years ago PGI complained that the game engine did not handle picture in picture very well and that a back view camera would be technically difficult if not impossible. With a new release of the engine coming out soon maybe that will change. Or maybe it has always been possible but PGI just doesn't want to bother.

View PostMonkey Lover, on 23 February 2016 - 09:42 AM, said:

Russ said they system would basically have to render everything twice. So you're talking a 50% hit to your fps.

The funny thing is that Picture-in-Picture is not required to give us the ability to see out our rear (or even left/right/below)! Just like in Mechwarrior 4 they could just shift your entire view over to that direction, so you'd still only be rendering one scene at a time.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 23 February 2016 - 09:50 AM.

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:53 AM

View PostDamia Savon, on 23 February 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

Better yet, why don't mech have rear firing weapon.....

Or flippable arms. JagerMech and Rifleman, for example.

#17 Ball Pit

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

View PostJerry Beard, on 23 February 2016 - 07:20 AM, said:

M1 Abrams don't..lol

The M1 Abrams has multiple view points for both the commander and gunner since the vehicle is operated by a crew, maybe you should take a trip to wikipedia sometime.

#18 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:27 PM

Having a flippable camera is totally possible. A locked 3rd person view facing the rear. Could be done by next patch I bet.

#19 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

And the folks who would benefit the most from this are still standing in line to learn how to press ® to target and not type/say "I need help" without a coordinate.

I am not always happy that the map does not render the true proximity of the mechs up my metal ***.

#20 Vashramire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

View PostBall Pit, on 28 February 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

The M1 Abrams has multiple view points for both the commander and gunner since the vehicle is operated by a crew, maybe you should take a trip to wikipedia sometime.

Lol he wasn't wrong. People aren't cameras. You specifically called out cameras not crews which are not cameras. And no most modern military vehicles do not have cameras since most are crewed and the military is cheap as ****.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users