#101 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

View PostBluefalcon13, on 24 June 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

Not sure how you fit 4 energy onto the ROC. It only has 3 energy hard points. Bought it a bit ago, gave it a whirl with this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b3c10722db0a8ae

Used it on HPG, but our team got crushed. Still was quite fun. Out damaged half of my teammates too Posted Image

Sorry jumping through to many builds on the way to mastering it. Finally done! Vacation time well spent Posted Image. It is a LL and 2 ML build. Will finish the weekend on the ROC for the event and then put it in the pile. May find a use for it as a Cicada/Raven ERLL ECM sniper role. Don't have either of those mechs.

Originally I wanted it to be a Assassin Arctic Cheetah upgrade that had longer range and better in a strait fight. Highest scores so far has been 700ish damage. That's fairly common on my 6spl Cheetah and much easier. The Cheetah feels half the size and about the same durability. and Zombie fights are real in the Cheetah with the 2 laser torso hard-points. I have had to many games the last couple of days running around at the end of the match just being a distraction.

Edited by Rock Roller, 24 June 2016 - 08:20 PM.

#102 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostRock Roller, on 24 June 2016 - 08:15 PM, said:

Sorry jumping through to many builds on the way to mastering it. Finally done! Vacation time well spent Posted Image. It is a LL and 2 ML build. Will finish the weekend on the ROC for the event and then put it in the pile. May find a use for it as a Cicada/Raven ERLL ECM sniper role. Don't have either of those mechs.

Originally I wanted it to be a Assassin Arctic Cheetah upgrade that had longer range and better in a strait fight. Highest scores so far has been 700ish damage. That's fairly common on my 6spl Cheetah and much easier. The Cheetah feels half the size and about the same durability. and Zombie fights are real in the Cheetah with the 2 laser torso hard-points. I have had to many games the last couple of days running around at the end of the match just being a distraction.

I can understand that. I have already climbed to #12 in the ROC boards... still a bit to go to catch up to you. Almost have this thing elited now too :D

#103 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostBluefalcon13, on 24 June 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

I can understand that. I have already climbed to #12 in the ROC boards... still a bit to go to catch up to you. Almost have this thing elited now too Posted Image

Off for the night so you got this. I will be back at it tomorrow for a bit. Good luck.

#104 Stuffer

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:50 AM

I'd still just like to see the second energy hardpoint in the right arm moved to the vambrace/forearm rather than being in the second pistol barrel slot (at least for the variants with only 2 E hardpoints in the right arm.)

#105 S_T_R_A_N_G_E

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

Basically the PHX is an almost there mech it needs just some combination of these:

- hard point revision: get one or two extra hard points or move a few hard points to the torsos, extra hard points would also increase its DPS
- flurry fire: it needs to be able to fire a bit more w/o over heating... since it lacks hard points it's alpha is small, therefore it needs to fire more times to get the job done... however lower alpha also means less component and critical hit damage
- staying power: leg and armor structure or armor; since it deals a lower alpha it needs to cause more damage over time and therefore needs to live longer... basically the same issues with any light w/o structure

As others have said, I think quirks and structure could fix the PHX problems to a degree, but w/o altering hard points, this mech is basically only good in tight city-scape-esque spaces.

#106 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostLocke2, on 28 June 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

Basically the PHX is an almost there mech it needs just some combination of these:

- hard point revision: get one or two extra hard points or move a few hard points to the torsos, extra hard points would also increase its DPS
- flurry fire: it needs to be able to fire a bit more w/o over heating... since it lacks hard points it's alpha is small, therefore it needs to fire more times to get the job done... however lower alpha also means less component and critical hit damage
- staying power: leg and armor structure or armor; since it deals a lower alpha it needs to cause more damage over time and therefore needs to live longer... basically the same issues with any light w/o structure

As others have said, I think quirks and structure could fix the PHX problems to a degree, but w/o altering hard points, this mech is basically only good in tight city-scape-esque spaces.

Totally agree

#107 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

I'm really looking forward to the upcomming energy draw (ghost heat replacement).
I hope that the PXH will shine again if we all the boats become less efficient and the few weapons on the PXH are actually "normal" and you are not required to use 3LL or 2LP on every mech (including PXH) to actually be useful/successful.

#108 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:36 AM

It's funny, I get bashed for my build but it really works well if you can drive it right. People have insinuated I am a bad pilot, I can't mechlab, or my opponents are terrible, but God forbid, someone posts up a non-minmax build that actually performs well. This game isn't about focusing your mech to do one thing, and only one thing. It's about being dynamic and adaptable, especially in pug-lan-gia (the -gia is from Pangia....).

Either way, playing solely in pug-lan-gia, I got the ROC to 12th. I am a mediocre pilot at best. Only reason it carried me so far is that it is a balanced build that is useful in most if not all situations. No matter what poo I stepped in, I could always do something about it, assuming I still had arms...

#109 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostBluefalcon13, on 29 June 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

It's funny, I get bashed for my build but it really works well if you can drive it right. People have insinuated I am a bad pilot, I can't mechlab, or my opponents are terrible, but God forbid, someone posts up a non-minmax build that actually performs well. This game isn't about focusing your mech to do one thing, and only one thing. It's about being dynamic and adaptable, especially in pug-lan-gia (the -gia is from Pangia....).

Either way, playing solely in pug-lan-gia, I got the ROC to 12th. I am a mediocre pilot at best. Only reason it carried me so far is that it is a balanced build that is useful in most if not all situations. No matter what poo I stepped in, I could always do something about it, assuming I still had arms...

I got your back on this one. Ignore the trolls, they are few in game and in the forums, but very opinionated. You can always tell them as they bash/criticize right away and often times don't offer up any good or even accurate information. In game they are usually the complainers. You know the "This team sucks" people. Which is funny because every time that happens it is in a stomp. And in said match the you suck guy never used chat or coms until it was over. If you going to call people out like that don't be a Captain Hindsight kind of person.

Which by the way is much different than the person trying to coordinate the team and no one listens and that person venting a little.

Either way nice job on the great finish in the ROC BlueFalcon13!

#110 m2wester

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

Opinion after having played around with it a lot over the course of the event:

General:
It's somewhat squishy, but not too bad for a 45 tonner. With the exception of the arms. They fall off all the time. Which is really bad for peeking around corners, hill-peeking isn't an option either because of low hardpoints. Trading is always a bad choice in this mech, you need to find angles and situations where you don't get return fire to really shine in this mech. Since the mobility is the strong point for all variants, that should at least be a workable solution. The legs maybe s bit lightly armoured as well, but in tier 3, that's alright, noone focusses them. Additional Structure Quirks for the extremeties would definitely be appreciated, though.
PHX-1
3 LL should work Okay-ish with the range buff, but it doesnt work for me. The alternative that kind of works on every PHX would be a single UAC5 or AC10 with MLs - but it's also not what I'd call good. All around this is not a Mech that I'd recommend to anyone at this point.
PHX-1B
The single Variant with a high hardpoint. And ECM + PPC-Quirks. This turns him into a decent enough sniper. Unfortunately, I'm really bad at sniping, so not I'm the best judge for this one. Seems to work out okay for others, though. I kind of think a Raven should be better for sniping due to more high hardpoints and a slicker profile, but with the combination of jj and ecm offers something new.
PHX-1K
You can always find a servicable build with 8 energy hard points and a high engine cap. That being said, there is nothing this one offers that doesn't have a better equivalent between the BJ-1X, the Cheetah and the Firestarter.
PHX-2
My personal favourite. Can be build as either a Sniper (no high hardpoints, though) or a stealthy and very mobile skirmisher with medium lasers or mpls. This isn't the strongest thing there is on the battlefield, but I think this offers something new and fun to play, and while not as strong as the best mechs in the current meta, it's nothing to sneeze at, either.
PHX-3S
The Masc is interesting to play with. Unfortunately, the hardpoints are bad and I haven't found a decent build that benefits from the quirks, either you are too slow or the damage is pitiful. Another subpar variant.
PHX-R
I like it in theory, mixed SRM and MPL or ML build... doesn't appear to work on the battlefield for me, though. The chassis is just too squshy. And from the results of the tournaments, it didn't work much better for others. Interesting mech, but pretty bad. Well, I haven't tried Bluefalcons build yet, but I'm not used at all to streaks, so I doubt that'll work much better for me.
PHX-KK
I don't understand this one. I mean, it doesn't offer anything you can't get from any of the other variants of the PHX. They could at least have given it Ballistic quirks - or any noticable weapon quirks, really... Haven't seen a reason to purchase and don't regret that I left it out. At all.

Bottom Line: While they are probably not strong enough to really be called meta, the ECM Variants are worthwhile to play around with. I wouldn't recommend any of the others without buffs.

#111 Darkhorse045

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

While the PHX is not where it should be, yet, it is still quite good for what it is. The lack of quirks compared to the BJ is disappointing, but the mech is an awesome one. I have found it is often best used on the flank somewhere as a harasser at mid-range. I use two LPL and a single LL on my 1B and it works brilliantly at mid-range. While I wish I could have squeezed in a third LPL instead, the LL allows me to tap mechs at further distances and does have habit of causing PUGs to be confused for a few seconds.

The key is to get noticed enough to draw attention, but not enough for them to focus you down, that way your team can get closer. Also, heat management and positioning is just as important. I got a 1223 dmg match with five kills (2 were solo, and all five were most damage dealt) on Frozen City. Granted, I was riding 90% heat most of the match. But I also provided enough of a target for the PUGs on the enemy team to get confused and overrun at the end of the match.

For proof, I can provide a few screenshots of matches and I was #8 on the PHX-1B leaderboard.

#112 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

View Postm2wester, on 29 June 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

PHX-R
I like it in theory, mixed SRM and MPL or ML build... doesn't appear to work on the battlefield for me, though. The chassis is just too squshy. And from the results of the tournaments, it didn't work much better for others. Interesting mech, but pretty bad. Well, I haven't tried Bluefalcons build yet, but I'm not used at all to streaks, so I doubt that'll work much better for me.

Bottom Line: While they are probably not strong enough to really be called meta, the ECM Variants are worthwhile to play around with. I wouldn't recommend any of the others without buffs.

I've swapped the streaks out for srm4s multiple times throughout the event. Took out the bap and streaks, put in the srm4s, and a meager 1.5t of ammo. The heat became brutal with the pulses. Another reason why I liked the streaks over the 4s. I think in general you got the idea of the playstyle. Not a brawler, nor a harasser(like a light is), and definately not a poker. More of a floater on the outside of the brawl, skirting the main action, dumping pain into the mess. The cost of the 4s in heat was too much for my playstyle.

#113 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:30 PM

Really enjoy the mech and can see the potential. It does need some help and these are my thoughts on what could do it. What do you guys think?

So the Structure fix method:
So it seems if most models had 1B structure quirks with and extra 12 armor in the arms it would be about right.

The Weapon fix method:
Models specific improvements in cool down/range and heat generation.

Quick and dirty: Add armor to the arms and... weapon cool down?

Edited by Rock Roller, 29 June 2016 - 09:31 PM.

#114 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:58 PM

Well at least they look beautiful...

#115 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:01 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 29 June 2016 - 09:58 PM, said:

Well at least they look beautiful...

They are pretty. :)

#116 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:27 AM

Kind of jumping in at the end of this post having read the start so apologies if someone has asked this in the middle, but for me the biggest issue with the PHX is it's width !

It's fat in the torso - not what the concept art suggested at all. PHX was always a slender mech but they seem to have beefed up the torso massively which leads to you getting cored v.quickly in any entended engagement.

I also agree - peeking is not great due to the flimsy arms - a real problem when the majority of it's weapons are there!

As someone mentioned, the only real success I've had has been with the PHX 2 with 8 medium lasers. The PHX 1 is very hard to find a good build - I've settled on 3 ERLL. It's okay. PHX 1B works pretty well as a sniper with ERPPC, ERLL, with a couple of MLs and MGs as back up.

Either this mech needs a rescale to slim it down or it needs a massive structure buff to the arms and torso.

As a general rule, though - attack from angles - never head on!

#117 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:08 AM

View PostColonel Clunge, on 01 July 2016 - 12:27 AM, said:

Kind of jumping in at the end of this post having read the start so apologies if someone has asked this in the middle, but for me the biggest issue with the PHX is it's width !

It's fat in the torso - not what the concept art suggested at all. PHX was always a slender mech but they seem to have beefed up the torso massively which leads to you getting cored v.quickly in any entended engagement.

Ironically enough I was in a match yesterday in one in my PXH and thought the height was off. I was standing right behind a Black Knight and was like what medium is that? I asked that because I was the same height as the black knight. I knew I must be seeing things or elevation played a factor, so for the next few matches I kept trying to find black knights to measure the PXH height against. I must be wrong, but it seemed like the PXH height is only slightly shorter than the black knight. I hope I just could not get an accurate view, or the cockpit just sits high or something. But I can't explain it, and wonder if others have noticed anything like that.

That said I have not noticed much of a width issue, but there have been several times I have had my arms hit when I was sure I was fully behind cover. So it could be wider than I think, or I was just getting snipped or hit from the side. Sometimes it can be hard to tell right away.

#118 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 01 July 2016 - 06:08 AM, said:

Ironically enough I was in a match yesterday in one in my PXH and thought the height was off. I was standing right behind a Black Knight and was like what medium is that? I asked that because I was the same height as the black knight. I knew I must be seeing things or elevation played a factor, so for the next few matches I kept trying to find black knights to measure the PXH height against. I must be wrong, but it seemed like the PXH height is only slightly shorter than the black knight. I hope I just could not get an accurate view, or the cockpit just sits high or something. But I can't explain it, and wonder if others have noticed anything like that.

That said I have not noticed much of a width issue, but there have been several times I have had my arms hit when I was sure I was fully behind cover. So it could be wider than I think, or I was just getting snipped or hit from the side. Sometimes it can be hard to tell right away.

I was constantly hitting F3 over the launch and event weekend. It drives small but looks HUGE. You are a fast but easy to hit target. When you compare to a Arctic Cheetah ( 3/4 of the weight and smaller I know) you look twice the size. Standing next to a Dire Wolf or Marauder you look taller. Now if you pay attention you notice a lack of depth to the PHX.

It's big.

#119 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

Yep I can vouch for the negative buy recommendation on the PXH-1 mentioned above. It really is a PoS. Its ECM 1B and energy boat 1K sisters are much better. I will be unloading this chassis as soon as I get the PoS past basic. And I don't care if PGI quirks it to the max latter. It has already generated more poor gaming experiences in my short ownership of it than I care to remember.

#120 Stuffer

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

I have to say, unlike some others here, I've had great success with the PXH so far. The -1B is definitely my favorite with ERPPC, 1LL, 2ML. I've also had consistently good results in the -2 and -3S. It took me a little bit of time to figure out exactly how to play the mech but now that I have, it has been a lot of fun. As long as I stay cognizant of my position relative to my teammates and the enemy, I can put out a lot of dmg without getting focused down myself. Mobility and speed are its greatest strengths so stay in motion, be unpredictable and hit their flanks.

Ultimately, it plays like an oversized light. While this may seem like a big negative on the surface, I don't think it is. As any skilled light pilot will tell you, it's not about the size or hitboxes as much as it is about using your speed and mobility to stay one step ahead of the enemy so you can put out dmg without taking return fire.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users