Shd-2D2 Vs Shd-2K

5 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:38 AM

Due to my low amount of available mechbays, i recently sold my SHD-2D & 5M to make place for my BJ's. I kept the SHD-2D2 since it was the only SHD wich had torso mounted hardpoints + the typical torso mount of the SHD (And it was the only one i liked...). Normally i'd run it as a missile boat but due the boring playstyle i started brawling with the metamechs build; 4SRM4+AC/10. However, when on the site i saw the builds for the 2K wich, as a brawler had alot more firepower and could also be used as a long range harasser due to the 3 high mounted energy hardpoints.
Since they're masterd, i'm considering to get the 2K, but is it really better then the 2D2?

#2 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

Shadow Hawks are definitely a little weird, since they have such random assortments of arm hard points. 2K was my first mech coming back to the game after a long layoff. Didn't take at first Posted Image

I have the 2K, 2H (AC20 and MPL build) and 5M (2xUAC no backup weapon build, surprisingly good DPS until you jam). 2H is my favorite.

The high 3E shoulder is definitely the defining characteristic of the 2K. You can go 3xLL with backup missiles, 3xLPL, or PPC if that's your thing. My current setup is SHD-2K with 2xLRM5 and 3xLL, and STD250 engine. I hate IS XLs unless you're a super fast light Posted Image

Haven't played a huge number of matches in it, but runs better than I remember. Work the LLs, pin enemies with LRM if needed, try not to get shot too much Posted Image I find the 2K runs too hot with SRMs so I stopped trying to make that work.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 01 March 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#3 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 01 March 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

Shadow Hawks are definitely a little weird, since they have such random assortments of arm hard points. 2K was my first mech coming back to the game after a long layoff. Didn't take at first Posted Image

I have the 2K, 2H (AC20 and MPL build) and 5M (2xUAC no backup weapon build, surprisingly good DPS until you jam). 2H is my favorite.

The high 3E shoulder is definitely the defining characteristic of the 2K. You can go 3xLL with backup missiles, 3xLPL, or PPC if that's your thing. My current setup is SHD-2K with 2xLRM5 and 3xLL, and STD250 engine. I hate IS XLs unless you're a super fast light Posted Image

Haven't played a huge number of matches in it, but runs better than I remember. Work the LLs, pin enemies with LRM if needed, try not to get shot too much Posted Image I find the 2K runs too hot with SRMs so I stopped trying to make that work.

I'm mainly asking since most shawks tend to run ballistics and focus mid range, but it only works moderatly well. Currently i'm doing fantastic in my BJ's. Solid 500-600 or more and making a real diff in matches. (In T4 only though). I sold my other shawks since i wasn't consistent in them and now, with looking at metamechs.com, i realize that the 2D2 i use for brawling (yeah, a SHD for brawling <.<) actually is surpassed by 2K build and it can also run a long range build with lasers instead of my dull LRM build wich is boring to play. So that's why i was considering to trade in my 2D2 for a 2K.

#4 Donnybrook

• PipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:53 PM

In my opinion, they're difficult to compare in that they perform different roles:

2K for poking and fire support.

2D2 for flanking or light mech hunting. I wouldn't straight-up brawl in it, but rather wait for the big guys to get stuck-in and then swoop in as a force multiplier.

Which role interests you most? If the former, then trade-in. If the latter, then stick with the 2D2. Shame you're limited on mechbays or you could house both.

#5 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

2K: 3xLPL poking
2D2: AC10+SRM16 Brawl

#6 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:35 AM

View PostGarrick Kael, on 03 March 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

In my opinion, they're difficult to compare in that they perform different roles:

2K for poking and fire support.

2D2 for flanking or light mech hunting. I wouldn't straight-up brawl in it, but rather wait for the big guys to get stuck-in and then swoop in as a force multiplier.

Which role interests you most? If the former, then trade-in. If the latter, then stick with the 2D2. Shame you're limited on mechbays or you could house both.

View PostKmieciu, on 03 March 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

2K: 3xLPL poking
2D2: AC10+SRM16 Brawl

Guess i'll stick to my 2D2 then. Most of my BJ's also run LPL's or LL and they're more nimble and have a smaller profile. I was only considering the 2K since it can run 3ASRM6 + 3ML or 3MPL wich results in a higher alpha damage.

Edited by DoubleFlip, 04 March 2016 - 01:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users