43 replies to this topic

#21 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:04 AM

View PostHastur Azargo, on 02 March 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

if they're exposed, your teammates with direct fire meta builds will take them down before your LRMs even cover the distance between you and your target.

That's not wrong, but my direct fire teammates will also take return fire and die before I do.

Edited by DavidStarr, 02 March 2016 - 01:31 PM.

#22 Doxylicious

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

Hunchback 4sp with 250 normal and 4ml or enen 5ml and 2 srm6 is far better then any other hunchback variant in the game, even the clan versions
tried them all...
It was always the best and still is started from closed beta

you need tthe 250 engine because the 200 std is to slow

#23 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:35 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 02 March 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

That's not wrong, but my direct fire teammates will also take return fire and die before I do.

I don't know how to put it but... you are doing it wrong. And quite selfishly.
LRM-boat must take they share of incoming fire, they must use their armor. Actually, they are the most fitted to take early fire, because once they are cored they can retreat behind friendly lines and still be of use with indirect fire.
If you don't expose yourself, you are only helping the enemy focus fire. Your teammates will only fall faster, and then enjoy being outnumbered. And it won't matter you'd dealt lots of damage, it would be your lousy positionning and lack of involvement that cost your team the fight. (one example)

#24 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:47 AM

LRM's are going to work until you get into Tier 3, then you will see their effectiveness tank.

The best Hunch imo is the one without and giant hunches - the 4SP. 5ML, 2 SRM6 - a simple setup that just gets in there and does work all day long. Nearly 180 degree yaw. Capable of handling max xl well or running a decent sized standard and tanking damage away.

#25 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:59 PM

View Postepikt, on 03 March 2016 - 03:35 AM, said:

LRM-boat must take they share of incoming fire, they must use their armor. Actually, they are the most fitted to take early fire, because once they are cored they can retreat behind friendly lines and still be of use with indirect fire.
If you don't expose yourself, you are only helping the enemy focus fire.

Yes, I know. It does matter how much damage I do, though.

#26 OMG Laserguns

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:59 AM

View PostDoxylicious, on 02 March 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

Hunchback 4sp with 250 normal and 4ml or enen 5ml and 2 srm6 is far better then any other hunchback variant in the game, even the clan versions
tried them all...
It was always the best and still is started from closed beta

you need tthe 250 engine because the 200 std is to slow

My very first game in the SP was 1,100 damage and 7 kills. Love at first sight.

Edited by OMG Laserguns, 04 March 2016 - 04:00 AM.

#27 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

Don't listen to all these 4SP recommendations. You see very few 4SP in game. Plenty of 4Js though, for good reason

Edited by Spheroid, 05 March 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#28 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:56 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 04 March 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

for good reason

Because people don't know what's good.
HBK-4SP it's not only -30% cooldown on your SRM6s Artemis and -15% heat on your backup lasers (-20% if standard mediums), which makes for a pretty nice DPS at brawl range, but also doubled internal structure (!!!) that makes it tanky as hell.

#29 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:16 AM

@OP

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1382b2232d3bc88

This should work better than your version. If you go LRM heavy you should always get Artemis. It improves your chances of hitting your target through shorter acquisition time (maximizes the time window of opportunity to shoot at that mech) and through stronger tracking of the missiles.

Also using those hardpoints well, means, putting your guns all on one side of your mech.

Then respecting the hunchbnack, a mech which has problems using XL engines, due to the highly exposed side torso. People will already try to snipe your exposed side torso to disarm you, putting an XL in there means chances are you're gonna be gone by the time something crits in there. A 200 standard engine allows you to tank with one side of your mech and shoot with the other.

Edited by Autobot9000, 05 March 2016 - 02:18 AM.

#30 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:10 AM

I have specifically put one laser in the other arm so that when I lose the hunch I have more weapons left. Because, you know, people always aim for the hunch. But yes, XL engine makes that argument invalid. It's mostly because I started with STD engine, but then had to upgrade to XL because I couldn't put enough ammo on with STD (and I also wasn't willing to go below 250 engine). 1080 is way too little ammo.

It's a good point about dead side tanking and STD engine, but I'd like to note that I shoot LRMs from cover more often than not, and I try to use my speed to avoid return damage. I prefer to flank rather than take head-on fire trades, and I don't feel my overall performance is compromised by having XL engine.

As for Artemis: I've played 4 LRM boats a lot (CPLT-A1, CPLT-C4, HBK-4J and the trial Ebon Jaguar), and I don't feel either of these would gain from Artemis. I'll much rather take more ammo on board for that additional weight and space that Artemis takes. Ebon Jag might make it work because it has strong direct fire offenses (2xUAC), but definitely not the others. I would argue Artemis is only necessary on slow SRM mechs.

Edited by DavidStarr, 05 March 2016 - 04:24 AM.

#31 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:26 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 05 March 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

I don't feel either of these would gain from Artemis.

Artemis only gives benefit on direct fire.

I would argue Artemis is only necessary on slow SRM mechs

Wrong.
Artemis is of most use on large launcher where the spread reduction is the most needed, and the one ton/one slot cost is lower compared to the weight/volume of the launcher.
And for LRMs it's necessary as soon as you know what you're doing (ie, using direct fire).

#32 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:32 AM

Players used to call the 4J Garbage, the worst HBK in the series. I bought one anyway

Now they love it thanks to quirks.

The more you know.

Edited by ice trey, 05 March 2016 - 03:33 AM.

#33 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:24 AM

View Postepikt, on 05 March 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

Artemis only gives benefit on direct fire.

My point exactly. I'm well aware of what Artemis does.

Edited by DavidStarr, 05 March 2016 - 04:25 AM.

#34 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:31 AM

I mastered the Hunchies last year and my favorite was the 4J running it near stock with 6 ML and 2 LRM10s. If someone was in the open, nail them with lasers. If someone was ducking behind cover, hit them with LRMs. I was last man standing in a game on HPG I still remember in one, with two enemy mechs left and I killed both for the win. Out of the 4G, 4P, and 4J that I mastered the 4J has my best W:L, K:D, and D:M ratios. Even a very good average damage per ton of 7.46 which compares with my Blackjacks.

This is the trusty HBK-4J I used. Like I said though, I don't stick behind my team in this, I'm up with them alternating between LRM launcher and laser vomit as needed.

#35 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

Another one. Almost 1000... but not quite. Same loadout as in the opening post.

Spoiler

Edited by DavidStarr, 06 March 2016 - 12:14 AM.

#36 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

Hunchback 4J was the first mech I purchased, it's name is 'AwesomPossum'.

Great all around mech, love to play it with 2 LRM10's and a few mlas, just for support. It also does a great job on straight energy (and even that sneaky 3LPL in the RT build).

Really just can't do wrong in a Hunchback, my 4J and GI are permanent fixtures in my stables.

#37 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:53 PM

The 50 ton LRM buggys (Hunchy J and Treb) are both exceptional platforms for the tonnage, and in my opinion are probably the best choice for LRMers, seeing as they leave all those heavier slots open for direct combat mechs. It is, however, worth noting that a 1000 LRM damage means a lot less than a 1000 energy damage, due to the inherit spread of the missile system.

#38 paws2sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

I'm a little late to this thread, but...

View PostSirSoggyDog, on 17 March 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

It is, however, worth noting that a 1000 LRM damage means a lot less than a 1000 energy damage, due to the inherit spread of the missile system.

Damage dealt is great for farming, but what I like to look at is the number of Kills, Assists, Solo Kills, and KMDD.

Kills ("stolen"), Assists, and KMDD (without coresponding Kills) are pretty easy when LRMing.

When you're LRMing and getting a good number of Solos, especially, that's when you know you're doing it right. You might have been able to aaccomplish that quicker or more "efficiently" otherwise, but in the end a good result is a good result.

Just my $0.02

#39 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

4P > 4J all day
Don't even try to compare 1k laser damage to 1k lurm damage.

Posted Image

#40 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 02 March 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

View PostDavidStarr, on 03 March 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

Yes, I know. It does matter how much damage I do, though.

View PostDavidStarr, on 05 March 2016 - 04:24 AM, said:

My point exactly. I'm well aware of what Artemis does.

With one thread the OP has covered the reasons LRM boats are generally hated regardless of whose team they are on. Stereotypical LRaMer right there. Wonder how often the OP is the last mech standing in a loss and still has >85% armor before the enemy hunts him down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users