[Suggestion] - Player Bounty System Implementation

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Player Bounty System Implementation (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the proposed Bounty System be implemented?

1. Yes (9 votes [45.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

2. No (11 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

Hello all,

This has been on my mind for some time and was recently reminded of it.

My proposed suggestion toward implementation is as such:

1) The Bounty System works both in Community Warfare and in Quick Play, but differently.

2) You can assign Bounties to the entire user-base.

3) Certain players, mainly those that choose to show their Tier, have their Bounty exposed to everyone in game.

4) In order to collect a Bounty, which would be integrated within gameplay, you would have to destroy a mech via a killing blow and be non-factioned.

5) Only certain mechs, which were used by bounty hunters in lore and canon should be able to collect Bounties.

6) To enable the Bounty Hunter Role on a mech, you would have to have a mech with a Bounty Hunter Quirk, a Bounty Hunter Module which should cost CBills & MC & GXP & XP, and the Bounty Hunter Skin as referenced from Lore all installed TOGETHER.

7) The Bounty Hunter Module should change the HUD within the mech. Preferably bringing back the old Heat Vision, but with an improvement of Green blobs being the Bounties alongside Red and Blue blobs.

Posted Image

8) When you assign a Bounty you are pre-paying a particular amount of CBills or MC to a Spacestation which holds the money in Escrow until the Bounty is collected, cancelled by yourself or someone else, or stolen. Once the bounty is paid out you will receive a notification.

9) The money should be held in Escrow in Spacestations in the Community Warfare universe between planets. If the spacestation is lost then all the Bounties paid to the Spacestation (which were held in escrow) are given to that particular Faction IF it is voted on to choose to cancel/steal all the pre-paid bounties. All players affected will be told which Clan Tag, Faction, and member cancelled/stole the bounties. This would introduce the Pirate Role from battletech lore as well, and create actual favoured Factions/Clans that protect certain space from the theft of CBills and MC that actually choose not to be labeled a Pirate.

10) In Quick Play, if you were to collect a bounty you would have to be non-factioned AND in a Bounty Hunter Role. In Community Warfare, if you were to collect a bounty you would have to just be in a Bounty Hunter Role.

Please vote and discuss how and why you voted below as well as discuss on improvements to each numbered point below.

Thanks for your time everyone.

EDIT: Added additional points below that were brought up in discussion. Further discussion on these points should decide which to include in the formal list above. You will see the points below contradict eachother. So choose which point you like below, which you don't, and discuss what else should be considered to be added to the list.

i) Bounties only display on the HUD on the Enemy Team during a match and only enemies can be Bounty Hunted.

ii) Bounties show up on the HUD for both your Team and the Enemy Team in a match and both your team and the enemy can be Bounty Hunted.

iii) If you destroy a teammate who has the Bounty Hunter Module installed in their mech and they targeted you for Collection, you shouldn't be penalized against it. You were protecting yourself from a mechwarrior who was in the Bounty Hunter Role who had intent on destroying your mech.

iv) Players should be rewarded for protecting themselves against a Bounty Hunter who has them targeted for Collection (example: 1% of the personal bounty on their heads taken from the Bounty Hunter who tried to destroy them for Collection in-game)

v) We are allowed to only choose 1 Bounty per match.

vi) Within the 'Ready' window we are allowed to choose which player we wish to collect a bounty on. Bountied players show up with their name written in Green in the 'Ready' window. We then 'Right-Click' the names to see the amount on them, and in the match we can immediately choose to Target them for Collection.

vii) The Bounty Hunter Module activates 2 minutes and 30 seconds after a match begins. Pressing the default of 'Tab' to display the player list would display who has a Bounty placed on them if their name is written in Green. We then 'Right-Click' the names to see the amount on them, choose the player we wish to Collect a bounty on, and in the match we can immediately choose to Target them for Collection. This allows those who may be targeted for collection to have a head start.

viii) Players are not notified if a Bounty Hunter has chosen them for Collection within a match

ix) Players are notified if a Bounty Hunter has chosen them for collection within a match

x) If you are the top scorer in 5 or more matches in 24 hours (In CW or Quick Play across both teams) then you will automatically be given a bounty on your head from PGI of a random amount (CBills, MC, etc, etc)

xi) On the Home Screen there will be a poster stating MWO's 10 most wanted and everyone who has issued a bounty on them. These 10 will move up the ranks based on 3 factors: the more they survive an attack from a Bounty Hunter, the total amount of Bounty that hasn't been collected that is currently placed on them, and how long they have had an uncollected bounty on them.

Edited by m, 22 August 2017 - 04:44 AM.

#2 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

this can and would be abused and could give someone a free pass for TKing(which you yourself have a thread on how to fix that) should they be on the same team as the 'bounty hunter'.

on top of that the a player could use this system to troll random players which could ruin the game for some if not all and can easily drive away players and or give this game a black eye in both the long and short run.

sadly I don't see any way to fix it to work.

Edited by VinJade, 07 March 2016 - 12:28 PM.

#3 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

View PostVinJade, on 07 March 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

this can and would be abused and could give someone a free pass for TKing(which you yourself have a thread on how to fix that) should they be on the same team as the 'bounty hunter'.

If the initial proposal, as it is seen now is implemented from the first post, then obviously the Bounty Hunter's in a match have a moral choice if Bounties show up on both sides of the match regardless of Tier. I am not going to spite what is written in the RPG just to make people feel better. This is battletech and these roles don't need to be sugar-coated.

I had been thinking that if the Bounty Hunter's were of Tier 1 they could see bounties on both the Teammate's side and Enemy's side of the match, so if a Tier 1 player in the Bounty Hunter Role were to eliminate a Teammate they should be able to carry the loss.

I feel that players who Bounty Hunt and pay toward the role excessively (in XP, GXP, MC, and CBills) should be excused ONLY when Team Killing a BOUNTY and only a BOUNTY.

To contradict the above point to prevent Team Killing, if Bounties were restricted to only be paid and show up on the HUD on the enemy side then this would resolve the eventual Team Killing problem across all Tiers, which I kind of don't like because Bounty Hunters are meant to be feared, greedy, and disliked.

View PostVinJade, on 07 March 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

on top of that the a player could use this system to troll random players which could ruin the game for some if not all and can easily drive away players and or give this game a black eye in both the long and short run.

sadly I don't see any way to fix it to work.

Well if the system was done correctly it should work. I only wrote up a summized 10 point plan and kept it short and brief to have it built on by the community.

Edited by m, 07 March 2016 - 01:52 PM.

#4 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:32 PM

The thing though, this is MWO, they tossed Lore out the window a long time ago and as many love to point out to me that this is MWO & not BT/TT thus lore don't matter.

They only use lore when it suits them and no other time. Thus why I said this wouldn't work on different reasons and one of them is for abuse.

how can you back anything that is against TKing while you are still promoting tking with this?
Remember if a Troll can abuse this system they will find a way or if someone has a beef with a player/s then they will use this system to get revenge.

This will give a free pass to TK people, regardless of how good your intention you may have with this system there will always be ways to exploit to ether troll or out of revenge.

and as to Lore I will say what someone once told me, "There is no place for Lore in MWO"

Edited by VinJade, 07 March 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#5 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

View PostVinJade, on 07 March 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

The thing though, this is MWO, they tossed Lore out the window a long time ago and as many love to point out to me that this is MWO & not BT/TT thus lore don't matter.

They only use lore when it suits them and no other time. Thus why I said this wouldn't work on different reasons and one of them is for abuse.

You mention 'abuse' but that is mitigated by how the system is implemented, which is what we are deciding within this thread. The vote is for agreeing with a proposed community driven solution, which is either Yes or No.

how can you back anything that is against TKing while you are still promoting tking with this?

What you are saying is similar in that how can someone cook with an ingredient they are allergic to. The proposed solutions are possible to be done together...they just need to be done correctly.

This is an element that is within lore/canon. Regardless of your personal view against it, Bounty Hunting was also mentioned by Brian Ekman at the launch some time ago. To turn a blind eye to implementing bounties is irresponsible at this point, especially after implementing the Marauder.

Remember if a Troll can abuse this system they will find a way or if someone has a beef with a player/s then they will use this system to get revenge.

Well we have to define someone who abuses the Bounty Hunter role as a Troll first right?

If a "troll" decides to fully take the time to level up a mech that they purchased with MC, buy a Bounty Hunter Module with CBills & MC & GXP & XP as mentioned above, buy the bounty hunter skin with MC, enter into a match while in the Bounty Hunter Role (which has to be enabled by doing the previous actions), decides to collect a 1 million CBill bounty by destroying 1 mechwarrior on their team, that is their choice (IF this type of method was implemented) and good for them for playing the game correctly.

But if the "troll" decides to go ahead and kill the rest of their team in the same manner and there is no Bounty on any of their teammates, they in that sense, would qualify in being a troll. But, if there was a displayed bounty on the entire team and said player decides to kill their entire team to claim a bounty, then I clearly agree with you that they would be considered a troll in this sense, which is following the ruleset and would ruin gameplay.

To mitigate this I would say that within the 'Ready' window you are allowed to choose 1 Bounty per match. Make sense? Bountied players show up with their name written in Green in that screen, we 'Right-Click' the names to see the amount on them, and in the match we can choose to Target them for Collection.

You know there could even be a timer on the Bounty Hunter Module whereas after 2minutes and 30 seconds the module becomes active in displaying who has a Bounty placed on them if you feel bounty hunting is too extreme and think you need a good run (so the choice of Collection would be after the 'Ready' window while in-game by pressing the default of Tab).

Also, it should be mentioned that if you kill a teammate who has the Bounty Hunter Module installed in their mech and they targeted you for Collection, you shouldn't be penalized against it. You were protecting yourself from a mechwarrior in the Bounty Hunter Role. You should in fact be rewarded somehow.

Also, if people have a "beef" with other players that is a GOOD thing. It encourages bounties to be created and made to resolve the beef! That's the point of the system.

This will give a free pass to TK people, regardless of how good your intention you may have with this system there will always be ways to exploit to ether troll or out of revenge.

If this entire thread was implemented in some way there wouldn't be a free pass to Team Kill people for no reason. The whole point of putting the Bounty Hunter Role within the game is to implement bounties. People apparently want it. But it has to be implemented correctly.

and as to Lore I will say what someone once told me, "There is no place for Lore in MWO"

Well whoever said that to you clearly was being ignorant as we have lore all over the place and if it were to all be removed there would be a pointless game. Sure it's not all here, but neither is many other things.

Edited by m, 07 March 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#6 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

This might work better:
  • You volunteer to join the bounty system, and automatically have a bounty placed on yourself. The more bounties you collect without being killed by other bounty hunters, the higher your bounty gets.
  • Only players who have bounties on them can see and collect bounties, and only on the opposing team. You cannot collect bounties on allied players, or even see whether they have bounties.
  • There is a cooldown of several days once your bounty is collected before you can opt back in, to prevent everyone from bounty hunting at all times (If you had a lower bounty, the cooldown is shorter).
  • When starting a match as a bounty hunter, opposing bounties will be marked in the drop screen.
  • During the match those players will show as a different color on radar and in HUD markers.
  • If you get the killing blow, you collect their bounty and they are opted out of the bounty system. They need to go back and manually opt in again (after the cooldown) to start over.
  • Anyone who TKs automatically has a large bounty placed on them, but gets none of the benefits (seeing and collecting other bounties). If they are a bounty hunter already, they lose all those benefits until someone collects the bounty on them. If someone gets a bounty in this way, it warns them on every drop screen that they have a bounty (until it gets collected), and they receive a special mark of cowardice that other bounty hunters can see. They also receive the maximum cooldown to opting back in (to prevent abuse).
  • While bounty hunting, committing suicide by any means will act as a TK for bounty purposes (you lose the ability to see or collect bounties, receive the special mark of cowardice, and are put on the max cooldown for opting back in).
  • There is no reward for having a high bounty, only for collecting them (so people won't throw themselves onto the swords of non-bounty hunters to preserve it).
Basically it's a fun little minigame for elite players. You get rewards, but will be targeted by other elite players who will compete to kill you.

#7 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

View PostElendil, on 02 May 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Basically it's a fun little minigame for elite players.

Going to be completely honest here; Right now I need a little mini-game within the game.

Buying a 25,000, 50,000, 75,000, or even 100,000 CBill ticket to go see a match in 1 v 1 Solaris dome arena matches would be nice with my own location that I can pick on a stadium map (like a fixed camera that has zoom, replay with picture in picture, and some sort of hud functionality. If I could buy permanent location based season tickets for 1000 MC that would be nice too.

Even pretend gambling (which I have always been against) with just 1 CBill on 1 v 1 matches would even be interesting because right now I see myself drifting away from the game which is unfortunate when what I really enjoy is the depth of the game alongside a social-depth as well.

If this even gets read, having a survival arena like gladiatorial combat (for you kids out there, think of the Thor Ragnarok trailer with mechs) where 1 mech with the same damage takes on another, and then another, and so on..would be great. We could also bid on trying to be next to fight the surviving mech, and the surviving mech could choose to cash-out or keep going with their existing damage and lack of ammo, armor, etc. . No bots by the way. Real players in real mechs and especially not trial mechs.

#8 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

I think a bounty system would take away from the game. It would need alot more infrastructure added to make it worthwhile. Like a normal MMO type environment. And a much more complicated combat system on top of it. The whole game would have to be a lot more advanced and complex to make it work well I think.

Although it would be a cool way to shuffle around money if it were in game. But then it would make for a very potentially abusive environment as certain players would eventually use it to attack others in a non game related manner.

Edited by Arugela, 03 June 2017 - 05:10 PM.

#9 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:03 AM

TL:DR....at least not everything as I find the system to confusing.

How about makeing it much simpler.

- The guy that killed you will get a bounty on his head that only you can collect
- When you meet him the next time on the enemy team you will see a +CB marking beside his tako
- You will only get the CBills when your target is on the enemy team and when you do the damage that kills him
- Bounty will rise by 30.000CB everytime he kills you
- Bounty is reset to Zero after you collected it

To reduce the abuse of this system
- People from the same unit can't collect a bounty from each other
- People of the same group can't collect a bounty from each other
- Teamkills place a bounty on your head for every enemy to collect
- Custom games don't count
- In FW you can collect / be marked once a match, not for each individual mech
(- Optional, people from your friendslist can't collect / place a bounty )

#10 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Great idea, let's not just turn a blind eye to harassment, but actively promote it by introducing a system to deliberately pick on people . . . wtg!

#11 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

View PostPeppaPig, on 20 October 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Great idea, let's not just turn a blind eye to harassment, but actively promote it by introducing a system to deliberately pick on people . . . wtg!

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but either way the Bounty Hunter character, Bounty Hunting, and Bounty Hunters in the battletech/mechwarrior universe is a massive and very popular part of Canon/Lore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users