- - - - -

Rear Ct And St Armor.

32 replies to this topic

#21 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

On my BLR-2C i used to run 1 on each rear. But since the introduction of the jenner iic srm boats, i have since risen the sides to 6 and the ct to 8. Because of structure quirks, i can usually survive 2 drive byes (which is usually just 1 fly bye made by a pair of wingmen).

(In solo que, i bring it back down to 1).

#22 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

Lights - 4-6 on the rear.
Mediums - 4-8 (really just depends on the mech/loadout + what range I have to fight from)
Heavy/Assault - 6-8

99.9% of the time I still die from front kills so I could probably drop this even further but I don't trust pugs or Jonathan Paine.

Other than that - front is always max, arms are always max (they are the shields), cockpit is usually ~12, legs are usually 37-41 (and you could go way less because 90% of players don't shoot for legs - ever)

#23 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:26 AM

I run 2-4; "friendlies" shoot me in the back more than the enemy does.

#24 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

I forgot to menchen- please keep structure quirks in mind when calculating how much rear armor you want to field

#25 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

I would just add, don't get hyper-obsessed with the differences between 1 and 6 back armor. With oxides and other SRM lights running around delivering the occasional 30+ alpha to your backside, that extra 5 points isn't doing much more to protect you and we're really arguing semantics.

However, 10 is a different story. 15 is a an even different story, and 20 is making your front obviously way too paper thin.

Edited by Khereg, 10 March 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#26 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostKhereg, on 10 March 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

I would just add, don't get hyper-obsessed with the differences between 1 and 6 back armor. With oxides and other SRM lights running around delivering the occasional 30+ alpha to your backside, that extra 5 points isn't doing much more to protect you and we're really arguing semantics.

However, 10 is a different story. 15 is a an even different story, and 20 is making your front obviously way too paper thin.

It's true. I mostly run 8 because that's 24 spread across the back + the arms. And there are times where it works to give your opponent a look at your back instead of the front - when they are erLL sniping from 1500m, may as well take that 2 points of damage to a place they will never see once you close in on them - spread it across your back because they are using lightsabers and its super easy to twist it out, and have +2 armor on the front for when you are facing them up actually inside their range.
Would run 1 but so many pugs suck so bad with the FF to your back.

#27 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

Where would I go to see the relative sizes of each of my armour location hitboxes?

#28 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:08 PM

I may be out of date or mistaken on a better/newer source, but I've been looking at this for a while

http://mwomercs.com/...x-localization/

If you scroll down a bit, you'll see updates as recent as January 2016 so I'm hoping it's current :)

Edited by Morggo, 22 March 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 March 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

This depends entirely on the chassis.

For the rear ends of my 'Mechs:
My typical number is between 8 and 12 armor.
Some of my mechs have as high as 30+ rear armor.
Others have as little as 2 armor.

As an example, I will never run a Raven or Jenner with more than 2 armor on the rear. It's damn near impossible to hit their rear armor plates to begin with considering how I drive them.

My Stalkers, however, have 32 rear CT armor. This is because Stalkers have horrific torso twist and turning capabilities. The front CT is relatively small. Stalker's large front side torsos can take all kinds of abuse, and as such I have significantly lower rear ST armor so channel more front ST armor. The CT, however, is huge on the backside and tiny on the front. Should an ST be destroyed, there is a 60% damage reduction on this incredible surface area before it transfers to my CT.

A Wolverine, however, gets 12 on all rears.

My Hunchbacks (all but 4SP) get 2 right rear ST armor. 12 rear CT armor. And used to get 16 rear left ST armor. The hitbox has since been fixed, and now it is 14 rear ST armor for the left ST. Because I don't trust my drum to be completely safe yet.

I feel I should add to this:
I addressed my IS mechs.
My Clan mechs on the other hand, almost always run 2 rear, rest on the front. There are exceptions however:
Nova: Kind of unavoidable, the rear is just so big; this gets 8 rear. Enough to warn me to react.
Summoner: Being humanoid and large, it is impossible to do the 2 rear trick. This guy gets 12 rear STs, 16 rear CT. So many back cores caused this.
Gargoyle: ...I haven't found a happy place with this. For now 16 rear on all torsos; I just can't find a happy place for this mech.

I don't own the 90 ton E...whatever it was. Can't remember it now.

IIC's, haven't tried them yet. Likely standard Orion layout (right torso a safe 8, slightly higher left rear torso, rear CT 12 or 16.) Depends on how close the hitboxes are.
Hunchback, undecided. Will probably do the HBK-4SP armor layout of 8 rear both STs, 12 rear CT, rest front.

#30 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 March 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

This depends entirely on the chassis.

For the rear ends of my 'Mechs:
My typical number is between 8 and 12 armor.
Some of my mechs have as high as 30+ rear armor.
Others have as little as 2 armor.

As an example, I will never run a Raven or Jenner with more than 2 armor on the rear. It's damn near impossible to hit their rear armor plates to begin with considering how I drive them.

My Stalkers, however, have 32 rear CT armor. This is because Stalkers have horrific torso twist and turning capabilities. The front CT is relatively small. Stalker's large front side torsos can take all kinds of abuse, and as such I have significantly lower rear ST armor so channel more front ST armor. The CT, however, is huge on the backside and tiny on the front. Should an ST be destroyed, there is a 60% damage reduction on this incredible surface area before it transfers to my CT.

A Wolverine, however, gets 12 on all rears.

My Hunchbacks (all but 4SP) get 2 right rear ST armor. 12 rear CT armor. And used to get 16 rear left ST armor. The hitbox has since been fixed, and now it is 14 rear ST armor for the left ST. Because I don't trust my drum to be completely safe yet.

The right rear hitbox should also be fixed, fyi. It's not that tiny square anymore.

#31 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:53 PM

I run 4-10 depending on weight class for CT, 2-8 for ST. With some situational awareness you will rarely get caught out, when you do it sucks but then remember every time your CT is cherry red and you survive it was because you put that bit more armour in to the front.

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:10 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 22 March 2016 - 05:06 PM, said:

The right rear hitbox should also be fixed, fyi. It's not that tiny square anymore.

It is. Google Cache image (since old hitbox images are mostly deleted)
Posted Image

But in overall size the added right rear torso space is as wide as the hbk's bicep and as long as the arm from shoulder to elbow joint (not the end of the arm's backside). Larger than the old but still around 15% of the entire right side. For most mechs the rear is 18 to 30% of the torso section.
Posted Image
Mkay, so it might be at almost 18% of the rear torso. Doesn't change terribly much; I still roll an XL engine and 2 right rear. When you can twist almost 180 degrees to either side, who cares?

Side note: Hard to believe that while nerfed into the ground, the Victor was still high-meta. Post jumpjet nerfs, post nerf-nerfs in all negative quirks, still recommended by meta nuts. Other mechs start getting quirks. "Still good!"
(Old hitbox images are mostly deleted; this is a google cache which is why its blurry).
Posted Image
Then negative quirks removed, "garbage."
Then positive quirks added, "Worthless."
Posted Image

If I had to guess, the rear side hitboxes shrunk and the rear CT became fatter. If there's a mech to suggest a higher rear armor on; it's a Victor. But just for the CT.

Edited by Koniving, 23 March 2016 - 03:02 AM.

#33 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:24 AM

View PostKoniving, on 22 March 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

I don't own the 90 ton E...whatever it was. Can't remember it now.

Executioner. I don't much like mine. It feels too hard to put enough guns in and too slow even with MASC. Sadly, because I don't like them I don't play them much, which means that I'm nowhere near mastery with any of them, which in turn means that I won't sell them. So they just sit in mechbays probably better used for something else.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users