Death of a Story

17 replies to this topic

#1 Grave

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

One of the things I'm very disappointed in at this juncture is the solely online component of MWO. One of the most enjoyable components of all Mechwarrior games to date (with the exception of the Mechassault games, which don't count) is that they have had above average to excellent storyline / campaign elements, which are absent from this game.

I really believe that no matter what you need that to be in a Mechwarrior game, and I'm surprised that the only thing we're being presented with is pvp combat...all well and good, but when someone's jump sniped for the fortieth time....it gets old. Hopefully new technology and game engines can mitigate this somewhat, but you know it will eventually occur.

Especially given that the game will be breaking during one of the richest periods in Battletech history...if not the richest...the lack of campaign opportunties should really be reconsidered.

Edited by Grave, 01 November 2011 - 01:25 AM.

#2 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:27 AM

I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt. =)

They really worked hard for the Battletech/Mecharrior community to get this baby off the ground.

We can allow them a little lee-way. :)

#3 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:41 AM

@InnerSphereNews showed me that great attention to canon is paid by the Piranha team. The news feeds make for an interesting story in themselves, and something like that in-game could probably provide the sort of immersion OP might be looking for, much like in MechWarrior2: Mercenaries.

#4 Black Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:49 AM

View Postmetro, on 01 November 2011 - 01:27 AM, said:

I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt. =)

They really worked hard for the Battletech/Mecharrior community to get this baby off the ground.

We can allow them a little lee-way. :)

I agree with Metro. Bryan explained all this in his dev blog and frankly I'm so happy they even got a MechWarrior game going. If this becomes a success, I'm sure we'll see a single player component along with co-op in the future.

Basically, support PGI, IGP and MW:O and no doubt you will see a story driven single player in the future.

#5 taxman

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWirral Cheshire England

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:13 AM

Surely this will be an improvement. Already there is a drive from the developers to Follow Canon (LORE) (Existing Historic timelines) So time to get on to ebay and grab as much as you can to prepare for the onslaught.

From what i can see Yes there will be elite players out there that will work hard to dominate the game, But ultimately it looks more a team ( Faction ) sort of game were carefully choosing the Mechs and the load outs for the Drop is going to be key to victory. Mechs are something that you will have to earn experience and upgrades paths will depict the type of player you will become.

Whilst I crave for a MW4 style game That allows anyone to pilot any mech at any time and join 15 other players for half an our of pure mayhem and fun. I am so excited about this new approach and look forward to participating in it from the start.

#6 Sly J

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:56 AM

If anything, the online-only component of the game will make it easier to tell the entire over-arching story of the Battletech universe as a whole. Still though, the lack of a more focused perspective may make it hard for newbies to understand. I'll be interested to see how the story element of the game plays out.

#7 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:26 AM

View PostGrave, on 01 November 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

One of the things I'm very disappointed in at this juncture is the solely online component of MWO. One of the most enjoyable components of all Mechwarrior games to date (with the exception of the Mechassault games, which don't count) is that they have had above average to excellent storyline / campaign elements, which are absent from this game. I really believe that no matter what you need that to be in a Mechwarrior game, and I'm surprised that the only thing we're being presented with is pvp combat...all well and good, but when someone's jump sniped for the fortieth time....it gets old. Hopefully new technology and game engines can mitigate this somewhat, but you know it will eventually occur. Especially given that the game will be breaking during one of the richest periods in Battletech history...if not the richest...the lack of campaign opportunties should really be reconsidered.

Seriously, I wish people would actually do their homework before getting their panties in a tight bunch and knots.

Its a little tiring to hear the same whines again and again. Go read the interviews with PC Gamer on why MWO is at this state.
They've worked hard and went through a lot just to get this project off the ground.

#8 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:13 AM

Personally, I'm well aware they're going to release MWO as a stand-alone F2P game, but they're obviously going to be charging for something, whether it's new 'mechs, new gear, or it'll go the TF2 route and you can buy your Atlas a cute hat...

...Why not have it that you can BUY single player campaigns? I mean, I was expecting to drop anywhere from the range of $40-$75 on the game in the first place. I'd be more than willing to pay for single player campaigns, especially if they would continue releasing them, possibly making different ones (Which also grant a selection of faction-specific 'mechs?) to give you a taste of each factions' fluff.

I would *Love* to be able to play through a well scripted MW campaign where you could take the reigns of a commander in the FWLM - dealing with both military and political concerns, or be horribly outmatched in the CCAF, desperately fighting off the Davion aggression during the 4th Succession war... Each Single player bundle bringing us a small handful of new 'mechs; a Hermes II, Orion, and Stalker for the FWLM campaign, and a Clint, Vindicator, and Cataphract from the Capellan one, just as examples...

Edited by ice trey, 01 November 2011 - 05:14 AM.

#9 infinite xaer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

View Postice trey, on 01 November 2011 - 05:13 AM, said:

Personally, I'm well aware they're going to release MWO as a stand-alone F2P game, but they're obviously going to be charging for something, whether it's new 'mechs, new gear, or it'll go the TF2 route and you can buy your Atlas a cute hat...

...Why not have it that you can BUY single player campaigns? I mean, I was expecting to drop anywhere from the range of $40-$75 on the game in the first place. I'd be more than willing to pay for single player campaigns, especially if they would continue releasing them, possibly making different ones (Which also grant a selection of faction-specific 'mechs?) to give you a taste of each factions' fluff.

I would *Love* to be able to play through a well scripted MW campaign where you could take the reigns of a commander in the FWLM - dealing with both military and political concerns, or be horribly outmatched in the CCAF, desperately fighting off the Davion aggression during the 4th Succession war... Each Single player bundle bringing us a small handful of new 'mechs; a Hermes II, Orion, and Stalker for the FWLM campaign, and a Clint, Vindicator, and Cataphract from the Capellan one, just as examples...

DLC campaigns would be great.. for the right price tho :)

#10 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:05 AM

:) i believe a great many of us would pay for some co op DLC campaigns

#11 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:23 AM

Id love to get some story, but there must be Adrian in there. Its the only game that has Adrian in it (yes, Im one as well :)).

#12 Grave

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

View Postrollermint, on 01 November 2011 - 04:26 AM, said:

Seriously, I wish people would actually do their homework before getting their panties in a tight bunch and knots.

Its a little tiring to hear the same whines again and again. Go read the interviews with PC Gamer on why MWO is at this state.
They've worked hard and went through a lot just to get this project off the ground.

I have done my homework. I've been scrubbing the internet for news of this since '09 - I just want it understood that the lack of initial Pe / campaign interaction may in fact be a nonstarter. A very large portion of the BT fanbase is in it for the immersion in story, and that sttory is ignored / left alone at very high risk. Plus, you have the real issue of new gamers never getting into the rich backstory and thus staying with the game. Remember, Battletech has survived in one active form or another for over 25 years at this point, making it one of the longest running active IPs in the genre. One of the main reasons, if not the main reason, is because of the compelling universe. We need more of it, not less.

#13 Xantha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

I totally agree with the Mod and Grave. Lack of story and PVE will hurt this offering and it's extremely disappointing going from the video 2 years ago talking about lance cooperative PVE play to a PVP only offering. That's 2 of 3 expected offerings out the window.

#14 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

I think the best route, as has already been said, is to go for DLC single-player campaigns. They could have a range of styles from grand sweeping campaigns (that would probably cost the most), to smaller (read cheap) mission packs that just might reenact a famous battle or something.

There's a lot of ways the developers could make money off a system like this.

Edited by silent, 01 November 2011 - 11:12 AM.

#15 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

I'd love to see coop campaigns for the more iconic battles at Twycross or Wolcott.

#16 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

I was hoping MWO would be "like" Star Trek Online but totally set in the Battletech / Mechwarrior Universe.

#17 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostGrave, on 01 November 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

One of the things I'm very disappointed in at this juncture is the solely online component of MWO. One of the most enjoyable components of all Mechwarrior games to date (with the exception of the Mechassault games, which don't count) is that they have had above average to excellent storyline / campaign elements, which are absent from this game.

I really believe that no matter what you need that to be in a Mechwarrior game, and I'm surprised that the only thing we're being presented with is pvp combat...all well and good, but when someone's jump sniped for the fortieth time....it gets old. Hopefully new technology and game engines can mitigate this somewhat, but you know it will eventually occur.

Especially given that the game will be breaking during one of the richest periods in Battletech history...if not the richest...the lack of campaign opportunties should really be reconsidered.

1) Read the FAQs. There was no funding for a MW5.
2) If MWO makes good money, there will be further Mechwarrior games made, meaning the story is definitely not over. Heck, maybe even a Mechwarrior single player using the MWO engine...

#18 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

The BT community is tiny is gaming terms. I mean really tiny. The high water mark for the BT franchise was many years ago.

I have been playing since I fell in love with the mini's at my FLGS in 1985, and I like the universe, but in order to appeal to the maximum amount of gamers, they cannot get totally bound up in the story. They need to make a game that is fun, first and foremost to draw and keep people, not worry about immersion level.

As for PvE, if this game does well, then they may have the time and money to develop PvE or single player content down the road, but that's not what MWO is about.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users