836 replies to this topic

#1 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:34 AM

I am creating this thread because of a mentality I've been seeing amongst these forums, that all lights are overpowered. I'm going to explain why they're aren't (Except for AC and Firestarter) and offer a few tips for people having trouble with them.

Reasons Why All Lights Aren’t Overpowered:

1. One Shot: Certain lights (Especially the Jenner, due to profile) are very prone to being one-shot. In my tier, it doesn’t matter if you’re constantly moving, there is always a considerable risk of having dual gauss rifles shred right through one of your torsos resulting in death. (Of course, if you position yourself properly, this risk will be mitigated)

2. Legs: Another weakness that most lights have is that their legs are very susceptible to being destroyed. (Except for the Jenner). Everyone (I hope) knows that once a light is legged, they are as good as dead.

3. Bad hitboxes: Certain lights such as the Jenner, Commando, Kitfox, and Mistlynx have horrible hitboxes.

Jenner: Can easily be ct cored.

Commando: Arms are extremely susceptible, and they house most of your weapons.

Kitfox: Too slow, therefore increased all around fragility. (BTW, I know that a kitfox shouldn’t be played like a normal light. However, my point still stands.)

Mistlynx: Similar problem to the commando, in that the arms are very susceptible.

4. Speed: Certain lights such as the kitfox and panther, don’t run at >120kph, therefore don’t have the “hit-registration shield” that faster lights have.

Now I will proceed to offer a few tips regarding how to deal lights.

Tips for How to Deal with Lights:

1. Stick with your team. It is absolutely crucial that if you’re an assault or heavy(<70kph), that you are keeping up with the deathball. I realize that some teams will nascar away from you. If that’s the case, then try to cut some corners or type in chat and tell the team to turn around. This doesn’t always work, but you’re desperate at this point.

2. Learn to Aim. One of the biggest issues I see with people who can’t deal with lights is that they can’t aim. If you’re having trouble aiming, try lowering your mouse sensitivity, or practice in the training grounds.

3. Once the above tip is mastered, always, always, always aim for the legs (With the exception of the Jenner, Huge CT). This is the only weak spot for Arctic Cheetah’s and Firestarter’s. If you can hit legs consistently, dealing with AC’s and FS’s will be a piece of cake.

4. If you’re having trouble with lights circle-jerking you. Put your back up against a wall, this prevents lights from being able to get on your ***. This tactic is very viable on crimson strait, HPG manifold, frozen city, and even tourmaline (rock formations).

5. If you’re dealing with an ER large laser Raven out in the distance and you’re a brawler that can’t retaliate, try torso twisting. That particular build only has firepower of 18. Spreading 18 damage across multiple components will hardly affect you at all.

6. If you’re caught on a map such as alpine or Polar highlands, you’re pretty much going to have to do all of the above in order to have a chance at surviving. Especially point 1. Sticking with the deathball will prevent you from being caught out in the open, where a light can just tear you to shreds.

7. Instead of just randomly firing your lasers at a light (Which often results in damage spread across four components), try taking a second to really line up your shot. This really helps with focusing crit components.(Honestly, you could apply this tip when fighting any mech.)

8. Excellent tip by Rushin Roulette:

"Never move forwards and try to follow the circle. The only thing you are doing is allowing the light mech easy access to your rear armour as they can simply slow down enough to keep at your back the whole time.
What you should be doing is stop, turn 180°, hit reverse and turn your mech in the opposite direction of the circling light, use the torsotwist to follow the light when he is in view and snap to the other side once you cant shoot any more."

TLDR; The point of this thread is that I see a lot of folks who say lights are overpowered, yet have probably never played any of the other light mechs other than the AC or FS. So, before you make a blanket statement that puts all lights in the class of the AC or FS, please play a Jenner, Commando, Mistlynx, Kitfox, or Panther and see if all lights are really as overpowered as you say they are. You will be surprised.

Thanks,
Matthew

Edited by Matt2496, 30 March 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#2 brroleg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 245 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

All lights have hitreg shield. Thats why they OP

#3 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:44 AM

View PostMatt2496, on 11 March 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

2. Learn to Aim. One of the biggest issues I see with people who can’t deal with lights is that they can’t aim. If you’re having trouble aiming, try lowering your mouse sensitivity, or practice in the training grounds.

Too many scrubs jump in QP without even doing the tutorial let along spend time adjusting the mouse setting, FOV, graphic, key binding etc. I've seen people missing 4 consecutive laser alphas against something the size and speed of a Zeus circling 50m away; my toes have more finesse.

#4 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

View Postbrroleg, on 11 March 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

IKR, the kitfox and panther are soooo overpowered. They have an extreme hitreg shield that makes them nearly invincible. That's why all the comp players use them.

#5 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

View PostMatt2496, on 11 March 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

I am creating this thread because of a mentality I've been seeing amongst these forums, that all lights are overpowered. I'm going to explain why they're aren't (Except for AC and Firestarter) and offer a few tips for people having trouble with them.

Reasons Why All Lights Aren’t Overpowered:

1. One Shot: Certain lights (Especially the Jenner, due to profile) are very prone to being one-shot. In my tier, it doesn’t matter if you’re constantly moving, there is always a considerable risk of having dual gauss rifles shred right through one of your torsos resulting in death. (Of course, if you position yourself properly, this risk will be mitigated)

Not everyone carries dual Gauss.

2. Legs: Another weakness that most lights have is that their legs are very susceptible to being destroyed. (Except for the Jenner). Everyone (I hope) knows that once a light is legged, they are as good as dead.

No other class needs to be slowed before being killed.

3. Bad hitboxes: Certain lights such as the Jenner, Commando, Kitfox, and Mistlynx have horrible hitboxes.

Jenner: Can easily be ct cored.

Commando: Arms are extremely susceptible, and they house most of your weapons.

Kitfox: Too slow, therefore increased all around fragility. (BTW, I know that a kitfox shouldn’t be played like a normal light. However, my point still stands.)

Mistlynx: Similar problem to the commando, in that the arms are very susceptible.

Many mechs have bad hitboxes, not just lights.

4. Speed: Certain lights such as the kitfox and panther, don’t run at >120kph, therefore don’t have the “hit-registration shield” that faster lights have.

True. Slower lights are harder to play because they can't rely on speed...and are rarely seen.

Now I will proceed to offer a few tips regarding how to deal lights.

Tips for How to Deal with Lights:

1. Stick with your team. It is absolutely crucial that if you’re an assault or heavy(<70kph), that you are keeping up with the deathball. I realize that some teams will nascar away from you. If that’s the case, then try to cut some corners or type in chat and tell the team to turn around. This doesn’t always work, but you’re desperate at this point.

3. Once the above tip is mastered, always, always, always aim for the legs (With the exception of the Jenner, Huge CT). This is the only weak spot for Arctic Cheetah’s and Firestarter’s. If you can hit legs consistently, dealing with AC’s and FS’s will be a piece of cake.

4. If you’re having trouble with lights circle-jerking you. Put your back up against a wall, this prevents lights from being able to get on your ***. This tactic is very viable on crimson strait, HPG manifold, frozen city, and even tourmaline (rock formations).

5. If you’re dealing with an ER large laser Raven out in the distance and you’re a brawler that can’t retaliate, try torso twisting. That particular build only has firepower of 18. Spreading 18 damage across multiple components will hardly affect you at all.

6. If you’re caught on a map such as alpine or Polar highlands, you’re pretty much going to have to do all of the above in order to have a chance at surviving. Especially point 1. Sticking with the deathball will prevent you from being caught out in the open, where a light can just tear you to shreds.

Good advice so far, but Polar is not difficult for a light mech because it's nearly all cover.

TLDR; The point of this thread is that I see a lot of folks who say lights are overpowered, yet have probably never played any of the other light mechs other than the AC or FS. So, before you make a blanket statement that puts all lights in the class of the AC or FS, please play a Jenner, Commando, Mistlynx, Kitfox, or Panther and see if all lights are really as overpowered as you say they are. You will be surprised.

Thanks,
Matthew

#6 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:03 AM

Even the "OP" lights are harder to play than the good mechs from any other weight class. What most people don't realize is the guys ripping teams apart in lights would do the same thing in any other class because they are just really good at the game.

#7 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostWolfways, on 11 March 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

1. Not everyone carries dual Gauss.

2. No other class needs to be slowed before being killed.

3. Many mechs have bad hitboxes, not just lights.

4. [color=#959595]Good advice so far, but Polar is not difficult for a light mech because it's nearly all cover[/color]

1. Well of course not everyone carries dual gauss, it was just an example.

2. Again, that really only applies to the AC , FS, or Spider. The other lights on the other hand can be easily killed without slowing them down.

3. Of course, but the point of the thread is about LIGHT mechs. Other mechs from other classes weren't even discussed

4. I was giving advice to other folks on how to deal with pesky lights. I wasn't giving advice to light pilots.

Edited by Matt2496, 11 March 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#8 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostWolfways, on 11 March 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

No other class needs to be slowed before being killed.

Cicada is a lie. Ice ferret is just a legend.

#9 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 11 March 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

Even the "OP" lights are harder to play than the good mechs from any other weight class. What most people don't realize is the guys ripping teams apart in lights would do the same thing in any other class because they are just really good at the game.

My splatraven definitely outperforms my splatgriffin simply because it has more speed making it easier to butthug assaults as I celebrate International Women's Day with my SRM launchers :P

#10 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:13 AM

Regarding weak spots - ACH arms are pretty fragile since they removed their quirks.

It's usually 2/3 of their weapons, and you can actually SEE the ACH pilot slump and sigh in their cockpit when you disarm them.

#11 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:14 AM

Lights may be annoying for slow-movers to deal with, esp. in the hands of a skilled pilot, but they most certainly are NOT OP.

In the words of a wise man, "L2P"

#12 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

View Postbrroleg, on 11 March 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

No, it isn't just lights... ALL 'mechs have hitreg shields. Play with PPCs + ballistics and you shall see.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 11 March 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#13 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 11 March 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

No, it isn't just lights... ALL 'mechs have hitreg shields. Play with PPCs + ballistics and you shall see.

"All" and "only" have two entirely different meanings. One of those words does not appear in what you quoted.

#14 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

View PostMead, on 11 March 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

"All" and "only" have two entirely different meanings. One of those words does not appear in what you quoted.

What's your point? I'm quite aware of what words I used in my prior post...

#15 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

Someone wanna shut this Russ 'Lights Only' Fanboy up and link some Light abusing Hitreg Videos? Posted Image

Or simply Explain how a light can take a a Splatdog to the face (Thats 85 Approx Alpha) at 5 meters with all missiles confirming hits visually with Artemis.

Lights are OP, Russ takes pride in keeping them as such, he doesnt need forum Whiteknights ontop.

Edited by Stryker Ezekiel, 11 March 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#16 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Lights absolutely take more skill than other weight classes to score well. This applies even to the ACH which must keep moving or it will die just like any other light. In fact I have much higher average damage in Firestarters than Cheetos.

If lights were OP more than 5% of players would drop in them...

#17 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

Real men drive pink locusts with 4 mgs, and their little brothers drive purple dakkaspiders Posted Image Posted Image

View PostStryker Ezekiel, on 11 March 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:

Someone wanna shut this Russ 'Lights Only' Fanboy up and link some Light abusing Hitreg Videos? Posted Image

You mean like the ones plastered all over youtube where people complain about hitreg and then proceed to shoot under the armpits and between the legs of spiders as "proof"? Posted Image Posted Image

The only thing most of those videos prove is that 99% of people think they aim and shoot significantly better than they actually do Posted Image

As "broken" as many incessantly say they are, I find it "interesting" that my AC20 still makes them go pop every time I pull the trigger Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 11 March 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#18 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 11 March 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:

Lights absolutely take more skill than other weight classes to score well. This applies even to the ACH which must keep moving or it will die just like any other light. In fact I have much higher average damage in Firestarters than Cheetos.

If lights were OP more than 5% of players would drop in them...

So true... The title should be changed to.. Lights are not OP, good pilots are..People need to learn to fight lights, you fight them differently.

Also, while maybe only 5% of players play them, the ones that do, are typically darn good pilots, and most of um would rock in anything they play. though i will say some will admit they are horrible in assaults.

But still, if lights are so OP, why aren't most people playing them? This game most people play what is considered "best" and guess what the masses sure are not playing lights.

Or simply Explain how a light can take a a Splatdog to the face (Thats 85 Approx Alpha) at 5 meters with all missiles confirming hits visually with Artemis.

Well, perhaps because a mad dog using an alpha on missiles that close would spread all those missiles over the entire light, and a bunch miss?? at 5M some missiles will miss an assault.... please post some vids of that happening.. because i really wanna see how a mech that is narrower than the missile lanch point is actually being hit by every missile while moving..

Edited by JC Daxion, 11 March 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#19 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

Lights are OP, Russ takes pride in keeping them as such, he doesnt need forum Whiteknights ontop.

I found the Tier 5 Scrub

He doesn't seem to realize that a 6.6 M CoF is larger than some Light mechs are wide.
Post your evidence, or git gud

#20 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 11 March 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

I found the Tier 5 Scrub

He doesn't seem to realize that a 6.6 M CoF is larger than some Light mechs are wide.
Post your evidence, or git gud

Cant respond when you talk like you are schooled in a Sesame street special.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users