Game Crashes Then Bsod Upon Restarting Game.

17 replies to this topic

#1 Jurden97

Rookie

• The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:39 AM

So my game will crash either in the mech lab, mid game, or at match end and my PC throws a atikmdag.sys error. I believe it is a game problem because I can play all of my other more demanding games without a problem. Any possible fixes??

#2 Brollocks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 153 posts
  • LocationStomping Mechticles

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

Try newer drivers for your gpu, or if you have the newest try the previous version.

#3 Jurden97

Rookie

• The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:23 AM

Sadly and does not provide previous driver versions anymore

Also like I said it's only this game

#4 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

technical@mwomercs.com

#5 ZonaW

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

This ain't funny. Especially since I lose battle+exp when NWO dies at mid game, then can't try to rejoin since bsod+reboot on reload. With a bonus; in game penalty for leaving game too early..

Win7+ati 7870 + AMD 6-core. Many years old and highly stable system. Never seen similar issues any other games (FO4, GW2 etc..) or apps (Blender)

#6 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostZonaW, on 28 July 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

This ain't funny. Especially since I lose battle+exp when NWO dies at mid game, then can't try to rejoin since bsod+reboot on reload. With a bonus; in game penalty for leaving game too early..

Win7+ati 7870 + AMD 6-core. Many years old and highly stable system. Never seen similar issues any other games (FO4, GW2 etc..) or apps (Blender)

More then likely its the AMD drivers, or maybe your Display driver?

We would need the minidump files to find out what is being flagged. I suggest you get them after BSOD shows its ugly smurf colored face.

But another suggestions is to just try to roll back or update your Drivers. Go here and see if you can find some help...

http://support.amd.c...icsDrivers.aspx

I'm gonna bet its your CPU and not a issue with the game. If its older and has some old Drivers then this may be the issue but MWO is not very GPU intensive and rely's mainly on the CPU instead of the GPU like other games.

I have an old Quad core 6600 in a rig i made, runs a lot of games fine with a 4GB GTX960 but crashes pretty regularly with MWO because the CPU just isnt up to snuff. I mean i can play Wildstar at 55-70fps on it but not MWO.

Edited by Revis Volek, 28 July 2016 - 11:19 PM.

#7 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

MWO crashes when I alt F4 on DX11 (which is how I got used to leaving the game because it used to crash exiting the game through menus). On DX9 it doesn't do that, but the launcher crashes a LOT when it switches to full screen after inputing the password and loading into mechlab. And DX11 mode has many times less black screen on map load too.

MWO has issues on both of my gpus and in both DX9 and 11.

Edited by Ghogiel, 28 July 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#8 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:11 PM

Try the repair tool. Most the time when a game crashes and you have a problem on restarting something got corrupted. There should be something like repair.exe in with your MechWarrior .exe file

If this has always happened you need to look at your window crash file . There are a few tools that can read it just because it says atikmdag.sys doesn't mean that was the issue. It could be for example your sound or network drivers causing your video card to crash.

http://www.tomshardw...-dmp-files.html

Edited by Monkey Lover, 28 July 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

Since the OP post is several months old, sticking to ZonaW.

View PostZonaW, on 28 July 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

A variety of reasons for the GPU/drivers to stop responding.

Do a complete uninstall of the AMD drivers, reboot and do a clean install. If not successful, repeat with a previous version of the AMD driver. INSTALL ONLY THE DRIVERS, not the additional bs.
Make sure Windows update is setup to NOT download/install GPU drivers.
Is the 7870 overclocked at all, either from the mfg or yourself? If so, underclock it.
Make sure heatsinks are clear of dust build up and fans are running properly.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

AFAIK, you can actually set the DX version and resolution when you start the game. I'm not sure if it still works though.

game.cfg (localed in %Profile Name%/Saved Games/MechWarrior Online) controls the DX version you start in (there shouldn't be any switching going on there though) and there are some variables to set the starting resolution of the game (before it auto-resizes itself after login). I don't happen to know them offhand.

That's about the only thing I can think of to possibly alleviate these issues.

Edited by Deathlike, 28 July 2016 - 03:51 PM.

#11 ZonaW

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:13 PM

Ok. Than yo all.

Just want to let you know I got it to work.. No idea what helped in the end, but I did remove all Radeon drivers and installed 16.7.3 and with this I have now been able to play 5-10 matches without any freeze, black screen or BSOD .. So far so good.

I did lower the display quality to medium,.. not sure if it helps, I had decent frame rates on high, but if it's too taxing (like running out of GFX memory) it could be cause to fails? I need to keep eye on other programs running at the machine too.

I do hope I'll even learn to play this game someday. It's hard to keep track of enemies, friendlies, heat, map, objectives etc.. Not to mention keep on going and trying not to be too obvious target.

#12 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:16 PM

If you have video capture software to into processes and kill every single process associated with it. Plays.tv is the one I use and if anything from it is running it crashes my video card and requires me to restart or BSoD.

#13 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

I drooped twice yesterday right to desktop, once in the middle of a match then in mech lab. Both sent error reports. I ran the repair tool then tried again. Tool found no issues. Ran fine of several matches then dropped again in a match no error report then. Since no problems at all.

I did check and everything is up to date also. System is new and I have no problems any where else. Kind of a ghost int he machine.

Could it be some fluke thing with the way it was being served? beats me.

#14 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 29 July 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

I drooped twice yesterday right to desktop, once in the middle of a match then in mech lab. Both sent error reports. I ran the repair tool then tried again. Tool found no issues. Ran fine of several matches then dropped again in a match no error report then. Since no problems at all.

I did check and everything is up to date also. System is new and I have no problems any where else. Kind of a ghost int he machine.

Could it be some fluke thing with the way it was being served? beats me.

What CPU do you have Mud?

For whatever reason i see threads like this every few weeks to months and every time its a AMD CPU, i think PGI just has some buggy code of something which wouldnt surprise me.

Also, AMD driver have had their fair share of issue just like everyone else. But maybe im being BIAS or maybe i didnt ask those who didnt tell and they maybe had Intels CPU;s.

Just funny that more often then not its a AMD CPU at the heart of the system which is having errors. Not that i think AMD is bad or anything.

Edited by Revis Volek, 29 July 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#15 ZonaW

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:30 PM

View PostBaulven, on 29 July 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

If you have video capture software to into processes and kill every single process associated with it. Plays.tv is the one I use and if anything from it is running it crashes my video card and requires me to restart or BSoD.

I don't do any capture, but for some **** reason that Plays-tv Raprt.-junk seem to be re-installing.. It's out at the moment and I need to remember to uninstall it each time I see it.

#16 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:45 PM

i havent had a crash since the last nvidia update.

of course now that ive said that, its going to crash.

#17 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:01 AM

I fixed my crash problem by deleting my profile in the save folder.

#18 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:18 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 29 July 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

What CPU do you have Mud?

For whatever reason i see threads like this every few weeks to months and every time its a AMD CPU, i think PGI just has some buggy code of something which wouldnt surprise me.

Also, AMD driver have had their fair share of issue just like everyone else. But maybe im being BIAS or maybe i didnt ask those who didnt tell and they maybe had Intels CPU;s.

Just funny that more often then not its a AMD CPU at the heart of the system which is having errors. Not that i think AMD is bad or anything.

AMD 4200 Quad 16g ram.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users