[Suggestion] - Tonnage/role Based Radar

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the proposed suggestion be implemented? (2 member(s) have cast votes)

The proposed suggestion should be implemented within ...

1. Community Warfare (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Quick Play Matches (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Both Community Warfare and Quick Play Matches (2 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

Hello everyone.

As of right now we all have a similar radar mechanic, which to me seems a bit flawed in design,

Posted Image

.. and I know the current radar system we have is nothing like what we used to have in previous Mechwarrior games which has been debated in the past in these forums before (pages of discussions didn't get anywhere).

So below is something I threw together reflecting a Tonnage/Role Based Radar mechanic that would be a default radar system installed per tonnage and we could obviously improve with modules.

From the calculations below, you can see that with the bigger the mech the more broader and closer the playing field to be detected (like a brawler, boat, or tank), and with the smaller the mech the more finite the playing field is to be detected (like a spotter, camper, or a sniper) which you can obviously leverage with speed and maneuverability.

Posted Image

Each of the values have been rounded up and the image on the right best represents the Max, Min, and Mean of the values.

The Radar Cone calculation is reduced from 60 Degrees and the Max Cone Width by 15%, every 5 tonnes.

The Max detectable Radar Range is increased from 800 meters at 100 tonnes by an increment of 1.5%, to a current playable 20 tonnes value of 1015 meter detectable range.

These values will make the game more challenging, and make the mechs more accurate toward their true individual roles in the game.

Thanks for your time everyone. Please discuss how you voted below.

Edited by m, 22 August 2017 - 03:40 AM.

#2 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

i would make the ranges shorter (far too high imo, no need for lights), 400m for 100 tons down to 600m for 20 tons with default radar arc
changing the radar arc is a good idea, but should be a toggle regardless of mech, that could give like 20% bonus range with the most narrow cone (some 8°?) and -70% range with a full 360° mode
bap could give 15% bonus, skills 15% bonus, module 10% bonus, for a total of 60% bonus for dedicated spotter/scout (960m for locust)
or use tag to scan one enemy up to tag range

#3 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:45 AM

None of the above we need Actual radar all mechs have sensors, we currently have C3I that needs to be stopped.

#4 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

View PostKursedVixen, on 27 March 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

None of the above we need Actual radar all mechs have sensors, we currently have C3I that needs to be stopped.

C3i isn't bad at all. It's actually a very good mechanic. The only problem is is that it isn't refined completely. As of right now, it's more generic than it is unique. What we need to do is implement it fully for immersion.

A good element of refining the C3i network is to implement the method I mentioned above in the first post BUT offer the incentive that if you are within 250 meters of your Lance or Star mates then you have the radar which we currently have now in the game. The further you stray away (beyond 250 meters) from your lance or star then you get the refined radar that I mentioned above in the first post which places you into a specific role as opposed to a team, or what's commonly known as a 'deathball'.

With C3i we could have Heavy and Assault mechs carry the C3i Master Units which provide the radar we have now to the entire team, and have Medium and Light mechs carry the C3i Slave Units. Once the Assault and Heavy mechs are all destroyed, shared targeting is down completely and you are left with just your own targeting system, which would omit the Alpha Language and they wouldn't show up on the map when you target them. It would even be interesting to have this affect the voip and team chat in some way, in that if the Assault or Heavy mechs are all destroyed they would be disconnected from team communication as well.

Edited by m, 27 March 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#5 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:49 AM

So to this entire topic title

No.

moving on....

The other problem is Clans don't have C3i I'm not saying it is bad I'm saying it is bad that we all get it for FREE.

The C3 series of computers are wonderful equipment that allow a tighter coordination between units, but the Clans don't have it and we get it for free on MWO no tonnage cost, no c-bill cost.

And I say C3i because when a C3 master is blocked by ECM everyone loses the info ,but you don't so either everyone has a master comptuer or the C3i (i for improved)

Edited by KursedVixen, 30 March 2016 - 06:55 AM.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

I'd rather we integrate 3PV and UAVs as part of the still missing Information Warfare pillar:
  • make the 3PV drone a deployable item with a delay
    • delay prevents instants switching between modes
    • duration will need tuning
  • display a distortion while switching between views
    • creates a mental disconnect
  • make it a zero-cost module that occupies 2 slots
    • great for new players
    • experienced players will have to include 3PV in their module decision process
    • might be a problem for mechs that have only 1 default slot
  • make it suffer at least the same visual degradation experienced from the cockpit when shot at
  • allow it to be destroyed
    • How much damage?
    • How many drones does a mech have?
  • integrate the drone with the UAV module, with the former as default equipment and the latter as an upgrade
    • Why even have two separate UAVs?
  • reduce the intensity or even eliminate that annoying blinking light that can be seen from way too far
  • instead of the combined UAV/3PV drone just going straight up or hovering just above the owner, allow it to follow a vector
  • give it compressed/non-compressed 360 degrees of vision, possibly as a pilot module upgrade
    • similar to a BT neurohelmet's vision
    • hardcore mode? Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 30 March 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#7 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:00 AM

View PostMystere, on 30 March 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

I'd rather we integrate 3PV and UAVs as part of the still missing Information Warfare pillar:
  • make the 3PV drone a deployable item with a delay
    • delay prevents instants switching between modes
  • display a distortion while switching between views
    • creates a mental disconnect
  • make it a zero-cost module that occupies 2 slots
    • great for new players
    • experienced players will have to include 3PV in their module decision process
    • might be a problem for mechs that have only 1 default slot
  • make it suffer at least the same visual degradation experienced from the cockpit when shot at
  • allow it to be destroyed
    • How much damage?
    • How many drones does a mech have?
  • integrate the drone with the UAV module, with the former as default equipment and the latter as an upgrade
    • Why even have two separate UAVs?
  • reduce the intensity or even eliminate that annoying blinking light that can be seen from way too far
  • instead of the combined UAV/3PV drone just going straight up or hovering just above the owner, allow it to follow a vector
  • give it compressed/non-compressed 360 degrees of vision, possibly as a pilot module upgrade
    • similar to a BT neurohelmet's vision
    • hardcore mode? Posted Image
No
No more modules for things that should weight something.

Edited by KursedVixen, 31 March 2016 - 01:00 AM.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:50 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 31 March 2016 - 01:00 AM, said:

No
No more modules for things that should weight something.

What more modules are you talking about, the 360-degree neurohelmet vision? If so, complaining against that would be laugable.

I'm calling for the integration of ones that exist already to make them more tactically useful.

#9 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

I could see a case for lighter mechs having smaller radar detection range. (smaller profile, less return, more difficult to detect)
So a light might only be detected within say 500m by default instead of 800m.
The OP seems to suggest the opposite, though within a limited arc? Huh?

But what is described here seems to make no sense to me. Perhaps folks are not clear on how radar actually works? (in the real world, I mean)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users