9 replies to this topic

#1 Terror Teddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Well, the title says it. What kind of damage can i do? What id like to see.

-Torso Gyro Lock (enemy cannot move torso for X seconds)
-Torso Gyro Crippled (enemy torso is locked)
-Engine Damaged (50% Speed)
-Engine Crippled (25% Speed)
-Throttle jammed (enemy mech cannot change speed or X seconds)
-Throttle Destroyed (Enemy mech speed constant)
-Throttle haywire (Mech changes speed constantly)
-Leglock (leg is jammed - Turn speed halved in one direction)
-Weapon Jammed (weapon cannot fire for X seconds)
-Weapon Short Circuit (Weapon fire constantly for X seconds or overheat)
-Ammo Explosions (obvious)
-Weapon Destroyed (obvious)
-Cockpit fire (pilot has smoke inside cockpit for X seconds until fire is put out)
-Cockpit Sauna (Pilot has heat haze for X seconds due to excessive heat in cockpit)
-Jump jets jammed (will not function for X seconds)
-Jump jets sputter (jumps will be shorter and unpredictable)
-Radar malfunction (IFF reversed for X seconds)
-Radar range reduced

#2 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostTerror Teddy, on 14 July 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

Well, the title says it. What kind of damage can i do? What id like to see.

-Torso Gyro Lock (enemy cannot move torso for X seconds)
-Torso Gyro Crippled (enemy torso is locked)
-Engine Damaged (50% Speed)
-Engine Crippled (25% Speed)
-Throttle jammed (enemy mech cannot change speed or X seconds)
-Throttle Destroyed (Enemy mech speed constant)
-Throttle haywire (Mech changes speed constantly)
-Leglock (leg is jammed - Turn speed halved in one direction)
-Weapon Jammed (weapon cannot fire for X seconds)
-Weapon Short Circuit (Weapon fire constantly for X seconds or overheat)
-Ammo Explosions (obvious)
-Weapon Destroyed (obvious)
-Cockpit fire (pilot has smoke inside cockpit for X seconds until fire is put out)
-Cockpit Sauna (Pilot has heat haze for X seconds due to excessive heat in cockpit)
-Jump jets jammed (will not function for X seconds)
-Jump jets sputter (jumps will be shorter and unpredictable)
-Radar malfunction (IFF reversed for X seconds)
-Radar range reduced

The table top rules already have a pretty detailed system for critical hits (internal damage).

It basically involves gradual degradation of a mechs capabilities through the destruction on internal components and internal structure. (gradual is a relative term)

Loss of weapon systems when damaged, loss of jump capability when you hit jump jets, loss of heat dissipation when you hit a heat sink, loss of balance when you take a gyro hit, Loss of limb functionality when actuators are hit, all the way up to loss of portions of your mech when the internals are completely destroyed, ammo explosions causing massive internal damage (and further crits) and the coup de grace: instant pilot death on cockpit destruction.

Adding extra sorts of critical damage would be moving further away from table top rules and while it might be cool it would also lead to frustration and confusion as your mech could be temporarily disabled from a lucky crit. That can already happen and it's more often than not permanent, so I don't see the benefit of adding more effects.

#3 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostXandre Blackheart, on 14 July 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Loss of weapon systems when damaged, loss of jump capability when you hit jump jets, loss of heat dissipation when you hit a heat sink, loss of balance when you take a gyro hit, Loss of limb functionality when actuators are hit, all the way up to loss of portions of your mech when the internals are completely destroyed, ammo explosions causing massive internal damage (and further crits) and the coup de grace: instant pilot death on cockpit destruction.

I do wonder how the gyro thing will work. Will you have a chance of falling over, a wiggly slow walk, or bad aiming? I want falling over and a drunken style kung fu models.

#4 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostBongo TauKat Talasko, on 14 July 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

I do wonder how the gyro thing will work. Will you have a chance of falling over, a wiggly slow walk, or bad aiming? I want falling over and a drunken style kung fu models.

I'm curious also, but no word. We also haven't had any word on other piloting/balance situations like ice or jump jet failure. The only thing I know for sure is that losing a leg can induce a tumble and massive damage impact can cause a tumble.

#5 Bearcut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 261 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

I believe they always mentioned ammo explosions, and I think things like losing weapons, heatsinks, and engine hits are a given. Gyro hits in this game would put you out. I also think they will include excessive heat causing catastrophic failure... might be funny/fun to see how far you can push your mech in a fire fight before it goes boom.

#6 Thorgar Wulfson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationConcordia, KS

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

heh ever play WoW or was it EQ where you could get your character drunk and when you moved forward your character staggered left and right and only vaguely forward? something like that for a gyro hit could be awesome.

#7 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostBearcut, on 14 July 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

I believe they always mentioned ammo explosions, and I think things like losing weapons, heatsinks, and engine hits are a given. Gyro hits in this game would put you out. I also think they will include excessive heat causing catastrophic failure... might be funny/fun to see how far you can push your mech in a fire fight before it goes boom.

I was fond of the mech shutdown or destruction where you just sagged over into a pathetic heap. My fave for a massive overheat in the range of 50 points plus, was your mech turning into a mushroom cloud.

#8 Thorgar Wulfson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationConcordia, KS

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostBongo TauKat Talasko, on 14 July 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

I was fond of the mech shutdown or destruction where you just sagged over into a pathetic heap. My fave for a massive overheat in the range of 50 points plus, was your mech turning into a mushroom cloud.

by game lore youd only go critical and go boom if you either sabotaged your own mech, OR took a crit hit on you engine the same turn its last critical slot was taken out. not that easy, but not that uncommon, then it did massive damage to the hex it was in, then kept halving that damage each hex it moved outward for like 5 hexes (150 meters).

a bizarre tactic was using fusion engines as command detonated mines, very fun.

#9 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

If I recall it was actually only 3 hexes (90m) in TT, and the majority of effect was a massive heat wave. The damage was pretty light.

Of course, a massive heat wave is pretty much the last thing you want to encounter if you've just finished a close quarter fight to the death....

#10 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

View PostThorgar Wulfson, on 14 July 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

by game lore youd only go critical and go boom if you either sabotaged your own mech, OR took a crit hit on you engine the same turn its last critical slot was taken out. not that easy, but not that uncommon, then it did massive damage to the hex it was in, then kept halving that damage each hex it moved outward for like 5 hexes (150 meters).

a bizarre tactic was using fusion engines as command detonated mines, very fun.

I also loved MW3 spams such as the flying Firefly. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users