#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

Updated on the tournament page for the Grand Finals:

All 3rd party input hardware must be presented to Tournament Organizers prior to being connected to Competition Hardware. It is imperative that participants understand that the Competition Hardware will not be connected to the Internet and downloading specialized drivers to facilitate the use of 3rd party input hardware will not be possible.The Competition Hardware will be pre-configured with common/popular manufacturer drivers. If participants need specialized drivers outside of these common suites, a request must be presented before the World Finals begin. It is completely at PGI's discretion to allow or disallow the installation of any input software.

#2 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:38 AM

Thanks for this change... Im not talking about any sponsorship stuff or handicapped players (this was already part of the rules before)... but mainly because left handed players would be at a severe disadvantage with regular mice (symmetrical mice are crap for both groups in regards to gaming) and sometimes even Keyboards.

Just a question regarding driver installation for the final builds. Are drivers with built in macro possibilities allowed to be used if communicated early?

Nearly all drivers for gamer KB and mice come with built in macro software nowadays... the player is only allowed to access the tournament PC earlier than 10 minutes (12 with the maximum of delay) before the match starts and no external data devices may be connected. This means that even if the software can use macros it is pointless because of time restrictions and the fact that the players will need this time to warm up make final tactical preparations and/or psych themselves up.

#3 IanDresarie

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

THANK you. *overly stressing the words*

I consider myself a good player, but I totally suck with mouse and Keyboard. In my opinion, Joystick is the only way you SHOULD play MechWarrior. So forcing the participants on mouse just freaked me out. If I want that, I can go watch CS:GO. Let's hope we'll see some HOTAs (and pedals?) in the great tournament, to proof that the original methods are still the best, even if the game is built to fit 'modern playerbase'.

Edited by IanDresarie, 07 April 2016 - 09:49 AM.

#4 Zeus X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

Looks like Paul being off the glue diet for a day or two helps with rational thinking.

#5 Leiska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 07 April 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

Nearly all drivers for gamer KB and mice come with built in macro software nowadays... the player is only allowed to access the tournament PC earlier than 10 minutes (12 with the maximum of delay) before the match starts and no external data devices may be connected. This means that even if the software can use macros it is pointless because of time restrictions and the fact that the players will need this time to warm up make final tactical preparations and/or psych themselves up.

I don't think comp players use any macros anyway, and I can't think of any competitive advantage you can gain with a macro.

View PostIanDresarie, on 07 April 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Let's hope we'll see some HOTAs (and pedals?) in the great tournament, to proof that the original methods are still the best, even if the game is built to fit 'modern playerbase'.

LMAO

Sure, dream on. What tier are you in again? Right, 5 it is.

Edited by Leiska, 09 April 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#6 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

Unless you're using an multiple weapon X build and trying to do a minigun chainfire, none of the weapons cooldown fast enough to need a macro to be quicker than the default 500ms delay chainfire. You basically need a cooldownc quirked mech with triple ACs or a LOT of medium lasers or LRM5s to justify it. That nine hardpoint archer with LRM5s or SRM4s for example or the eight hardpoint Mad Dog. Too often I see people using the stock chainfire with those on a single fire group... and that's just wasting launcher space/weight then, because the 1st one will have cooled by the time you shoot the 6th, meaning the rest are pointless and the mech won't shoot any quicker. Better to group the LRM5s into pairs or triples if you're not using a macro.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

The game could sure use a "look spring". It wouldn't be so far fetched to use flight sticks then.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:50 AM

View PostLeiska, on 09 April 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

I don't think comp players use any macros anyway, and I can't think of any competitive advantage you can gain with a macro.

I know most comp players dont use macros (The most I know even scorn them as being useless and think them a crutch at best).

That wasnt my question.... the problem is most comp players use gaming mice which quite often (if not always) come with macro capable software directly with their drivers (I know Razer and Mad Catz both do for example). Will the drivers for these mice also be installed or will they be rejected, because of the theoretical possibilities of a macro even though there is little to no time to manually program these macros even if the player would actually need that crutch.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 11 April 2016 - 12:51 AM.

#9 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

I'll leave my Power Glove at home.

#10 SJ MetalDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pirate
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:09 PM

bring it for the fi**ing ... lol .. don't have any macros here ..just epic skills .. #fail much

Edited by SJ MetalDeath, 12 April 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#11 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:48 AM

keyboard and mouse.... or go home

#12 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 11 April 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

I know most comp players dont use macros (The most I know even scorn them as being useless and think them a crutch at best).

That wasnt my question.... the problem is most comp players use gaming mice which quite often (if not always) come with macro capable software directly with their drivers (I know Razer and Mad Catz both do for example). Will the drivers for these mice also be installed or will they be rejected, because of the theoretical possibilities of a macro even though there is little to no time to manually program these macros even if the player would actually need that crutch.

I have a Logitech G300 and this gaming mouse doesnt need a special driver for macros ... you program it ONCE and STORE IT IN THE MOUSE ;P

Logitech' said:

9 programmable controls

At your command

Achieve great results with the default configuration straight out of the box. Or, set up one-button triggers for actions that typically require digging into menus. Put push-to-talk communications in easier reach. Temporarily down-shift DPI. Reassign any game command or multi-command macro to any one of nine programmable buttons with optional Logitech Gaming Software (LGS).*

Onboard memory profiles

A mouse with a brain

Configure your mouse once and have it remember. Every game requires its own unique setup, be it World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2. Program all nine buttons across so you can bring your setup to other PCs.

Edited by M E X, 30 June 2016 - 09:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users