Good Choice For A First Mech?

24 replies to this topic

#21 Agent005

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:02 PM

Okay, so I've checked out some Marauder builds and they look pretty appealing. I have more than enough c-bills to put together the build I'm interested in, but I've got 4 matches left before I lose my cadet bonus (yeah I know it's taken forever, but hey real life doesn't wait you know?). Do you guys think I should just bite the bullet and buy it, or wait to get the rest of my cadet bonuses? I'm not gonna lie, I think I'd actually enjoy the game a lot more using a mech that I actually purchased and configured myself versus what are essentially rentals.

(Also, is it dumb that one of the reasons I like the Marauder is its cockpit layout? It's very open and doesn't have a lot of doodads and gadgets obscuring your view)

Edited by Agent005, 27 April 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#22 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:31 PM

View PostAgent005, on 27 April 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

Do you guys think I should just bite the bullet and buy it, or wait to get the rest of my cadet bonuses? I'm not gonna lie, I think I'd actually enjoy the game a lot more using a mech that I actually purchased and configured myself versus what are essentially rentals.

(Also, is it dumb that one of the reasons I like the Marauder is its cockpit layout? It's very open and doesn't have a lot of doodads and gadgets obscuring your view)

The game does get a lot more fun once you start buying your own mechs. $ or grind C-Bills is your choice. I've done a little cash and a lot of grind since I started last summer.

The Marauder cockpit does give your good visibility of the battlefield. While not the MOST important thing in a mech, it is definitely something I look at when trying a new mech.

#23 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Cool. Hope you like the Marauders if you get them. I don't think you will be disappointed since they go fast enough and are really good at the various variants of options. Plus I think they are one of the cooler looking mechs in the game ;)

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostAgent005, on 27 April 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

Similar mechs to consider in terms of wide open views.

Griffin.
Wolverine (cramped but big windows).
Battlemaster.
Spider.
Mad Dog.
Timber Wolf (there's framework but otherwise decent view).
Archer (surprisingly, you can see pretty well going up, too, considering it is a belly cockpit).
Thunderbolt.
Summoner.
....most Clan mechs in general.

I want to say Commando, but the view to the right is blocked. Same with the Grasshopper, but otherwise both of these have very clear views. These are left-eye cockpits which is why the view to the right is blocked in these.

King Crab, Awesome, Stalker, and Kintaro all have good open horizontal views but not much vertical visibility.

One would think the Rifleman and Jagermech would have pretty clear views considering that both are technically anti-aircraft mechs... but that isn't the case.

#25 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

Make sure you try out all trial mechs.

The mech academy also has a bunch of chassis to test out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users