What Wolverines? With Cicada Snacks.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

TL;DR version: I'd like feedback on which wolverines to buy.

Awhile back I got the two loyalty mechs (CDA-3F and WVR-7D) during an event, but being cramped for mech bays and having other fish to fry, I didn't get round to really working on builds appreciably or buying the extra variants required for levelling. I have since rectified the mech bay issue and have been building on cbills.

Not being familiar with either chassis, I don't know for certain what strengths to play to here. Looking at the quirks and hardpoints in smurfy and messing about with builds is a start, but I do have questions best posed to people who play these mechs. The biggest one is what variants of Wolverine to buy and why.

I had heard about the Wubverine which apparently was nerfed long long ago, but I think it is possible to get some wub in there. If a Locust can do it, why not a Wolverine? There may be other things that this mech is good at in other weapon classes like ballistics.

I already bought the CDR-2A and 2B and someone suggested filling up the 2B with medium pulse lasers. I forget what reasoning I was using in deciding on those two. On the Wolverine I am totally lost as to which ones to get, much less builds. Both have fans as well as haters. What do you think?

#2 SnowFox

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

SRMS seemed to work for me, its kinda sorta like a ballistic griffy.........

#3 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

For cicadas - 2A, 3M, and X-5 are my go to. I like 6ml and a really big engine in the 2A (basically the champion load out). The 3M likes xl300 with 2 erll and 2ml, X-5 is lpl and 3 ml with an xl300. The loyalty variant I am running with an erppc and 3 ml w stock engine and a bunch of jj's.

#4 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:30 AM

Wubverine is still a thing but it lost its crazy LPL quirks. Not on my computer atm so cant give u the exact builds on the variants, but...

3xASRM-6, ML, 2 JJ, stock engine. 81 kph without speed tweak, pocket heavy, shield side (missiles all on one torso, one energy in head.)
3xLPL, no jj, no backup. The wubverine. The variant with 3 energy in the right arm. Play it like a slow assassin, or follow an assault around. Also shield side (note, XL or VERY SLOW STD)
3xSRM-4, 3?ML. Brawler/bodyguard. No shield side. Short range. Play as pocket atlas, ambush is the name of the game.

With JJ, cover and rear torsos are your friends and targets.

#5 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:05 AM

Also, the WVR-6R Dakka Dakka is still tons of fun. It's got 30% colldown for AC-5s (20% other ballistics). Basically a rapid-fire AC-10 when you fire both, or good fire suppression if you chain them. Obligatory head-laser for those games your arm gets blown off early.

The WVR-7K LL SRM was also a lot of fun, and provides a nice alternative to the 3xLPL "Tickler" build. Whatever floats your boat!

Edited by Cabusha, 07 February 2016 - 02:08 AM.

#6 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

WVR-7K: 3 ASRM6, 2 MLas, 2 JJ, XL300 (brawl)
WVR-6K: 3 LPLas, 1 MPLas, XL300 (mid range)

#7 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

The most common Cicada X-5 config (one that I'd run a long while ago) was 4MLs, 2SRM4s, and thanks to some of its quirks, allows you to get some fairly good pop-shots at your opponents.

The X-5 benefits largely from the insane range quirks that it had for its ML's, but since there are two in the arms and two in the torsos, you don't get super rapid convergence for surgical damage. It is a back-buster, swooping in behind opponents and popping them in their weak backsides. In comwar drops, you'll want to move those SRM4's down to SRM2's for sustainability (more ammo, more heatsinks, possibly) and keep the stock 330XL engine or go even bigger for a 340XL.

I know one of the variants you'd mentioned doesn't have arm mounts. Sometimes that's a major hindrance, but you can sacrifice the arms at least. The up-down range of motion isn't super huge, unfortunately.

Edited by Vaskadar, 08 February 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#8 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

I run the Dakkarine, the ML/SRM brawler 7K, and the 3xLLAS armed 6K

Cicada wise -

6A- 6xML
3M - ECM 4xML
2B- 5xMPLAS
3F- 2xPPC

X-5 - 2xSRM4 and 4xMLAS. Those SRMs really go nice. Just wish i had room for an extra 1/2 ton ammo.

Edited by Cato Phoenix, 14 February 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#9 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

4tehlulz I sometimes run the rather warm 4 LPL-6K variant with an XL 275 (87.1 kph) and one internal heatsink.
That pinpoint damage you get from that arm, that literally is half your mechs tonnage, is ridiculous.

It's a bit of a one-trick pony though. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users