A Case For The Crossbow (The Inner Sphere Battlemech Version, Not The Terribad Omni)

13 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:16 AM

OK...just I realize I'll likely never get my Crossbow Omni, and that it probably wouldn't be "great" (ok, it would take a miracle to be good, lol) anyhow.

But the more I dig into the retconned Crossbow Battlemech, the more I want that one. And I think the reasons are pretty solid.

The biggest reason? I always like the basic feel and look of the Orion, but it's hitbox Geometry is BAD. Butt when I was doing a quick sketch of the IS Crossbow I had an Epiphany:
Posted Image(rough WIP sketch)

Most of the aesthetic elements I liked on the Orion are present on the XBow. Especially my cherished ON1-VA with it's big missile drum arms.

But the Xbow has way better hitbox potential with much more massive arms to torso ration, hinting at good tankability, a smaller profile at 60 tons, and as a stock 84 kph mech enough speed and base agility to be a solid twister.

Downside is no super high hardpoints that most people feel are mandatory. But with it's hitboxes and mobility, it has a lot of Centurion like hit and fun skirmisher potential, especially with traditional IS Hardpoint inflation.

360 max engine (104 kph) and enough potential hardpoints to utilize larger number of lighter weapons. A few mock ups:

-CROSSBOW CRS-6B:
JJs: No
ECM: No
Equipment:
-H:
-CT:
-RT: PPC x1
-LT:
-RA: LRM10 x1, Ammo (LRM) x1, Medium Laser x1
-LA: LRM10 x1, Ammo (LRM) x1, Medium Laser x1
-RL:
-LL:
Hardpoints:
-H:
-CT:
-RT: E x2
-LT:
-RA: Mx2, Ex1
-LA: Mx2, Ex1
-RL:
-LL:
.... just adding Endo and a 325-350 XL, then swapping the LRM10s for paired SRM4s in each arm, and you have a mean machine.
Posted Image(Remlab being for TT only allows TT legal engine sizes, so imagine with a 325-350 all the extra tonnage)

-CROSSBOW CRS-6C:
Equipment:
-H:
-CT:
-RT: PPC x1
-LT:
-RA: AC10 x1, Ammo (AC) x1
-LA: Medium Laser x1
-RL:
-LL:
Hardpoints:
-H:
-CT:
-RT: Ex3
-LT:
-RA: Bx2
-LA: Ex3
-RL:
-LL:

-CROSSBOW CRS-X(P):
Equipment:
-H:
-CT:
-RT: Large Laser x1
-LT:
-RA: LRM5 x2, Ammo (LRM) x1, Medium Laser
-LA: LRM5 x2, Ammo (LRM) x1, Medium Laser
-RL:
-LL:
Hardpoints:
-H:
-CT:
-RT: Ex1
-LT:
-RA: Mx2, Ex2
-LA: Mx2, Ex2
-RL:
-LL:
.... Here either PGI makes a home brew based off the Obsolete "X" version. Either the lower speed is ignored, or comped thru better quirks/ ECM, extra hardpoints, etc. One could also give it a higher torso mount. Whatever.

I think the IS Crossbow battlemech has the potential to vie for best IS 60 tonner, with better hitboxes than the DRG, Lancelot, etc, better speed than RFLs, and such.

And it would look good doing it.

The downside, it's all but extinct. Not that the Highlander or Kintaro are actually common. And well, yeah, PPGI would need one of their PGI Specials to have enough variants. I freely admit this is a Rule of Cool (it looks neato) meats potentially good in game, rather than a Lore Correct "want".

But there is room for 1-2 more IS mechs potentially at the end of 2016, and I would love to see a cavalry mech like this or the Lancelot (or even just adding the Grand Dragon variants to the DRG) instead of a Heavier, slower mech or worse, an Assault (not that the Nightstar or Gunslinger would be bad by any means, or that I would complain about them. I'd just personally prefer lighter, I tend to like 40-60 ton bracket)

For the other potential IS slot, I'd really prefer a 40 ton and fast Assassin or Vulcan.

Thoughts?

#2 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:24 AM

A more humanoid shape, plenty of missile hardpoints and possibly XL-friendly? You'd obsolete the Archer but I don't mind that at all!

#3 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

The Crossbow has arms like Popeye.

I like how MWO has stayed true to canon by ensuring the Highlander and Kintaro are rare. :P

I pilot medium mechs almost exclusively, and I really wanted a good 60 ton mech, but the Dragon and Quickdraw have never felt good to me. Maybe this, or the Lancelot, would be what I am looking for?

#4 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

Honestly your sketch reminds me a bit of the Trenchbucket, just a lot less ugly.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 29 April 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

Honestly your sketch reminds me a bit of the Trenchbucket, just a lot less ugly.

Posted Image
Posted Image

View Postcazidin, on 29 April 2016 - 07:24 AM, said:

A more humanoid shape, plenty of missile hardpoints and possibly XL-friendly? You'd obsolete the Archer but I don't mind that at all!

10 tons lighter, so I doubt it. It'd be a cavalry/grenadier role more than the Archer.

Of course, PGI obsoleted the Archer when they decided to gimp their missile hardpoints on several variants and not quirk it toward being able to make those larger racks worth taking over boating small racks.

View PostDavers, on 29 April 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

The Crossbow has arms like Popeye.

I like how MWO has stayed true to canon by ensuring the Highlander and Kintaro are rare. Posted Image

I pilot medium mechs almost exclusively, and I really wanted a good 60 ton mech, but the Dragon and Quickdraw have never felt good to me. Maybe this, or the Lancelot, would be what I am looking for?

It would suit my Medium Mech flanker/striker/skirmisher mindset to perfection. I enjoy my dual ac10 RFL-3N a lot, but this would pretty much instantly replace it. (and have probably better survivability than the Lancelot)

But yeah, this, the Lancelot or Grand Dragons would interest me mightily.

#6 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:53 AM

Only thing is it's another Heavy when we are kinda glut with them already. I like the mech though and it is a good pick for another 60 tonner.

I'd rather get the Dervish, Javelin and Whitworth for SRMs first though.

#7 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostBarantor, on 29 April 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

Only thing is it's another Heavy when we are kinda glut with them already. I like the mech though and it is a good pick for another 60 tonner.

I'd rather get the Dervish, Javelin and Assassin for SRMs first though.

FTFY

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostBarantor, on 29 April 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

I'd rather get the Dervish, Javelin and Whitworth for SRMs first though.

2 potential slots still open for the year. I'd rather get good and interesting than something just to fill a weight slot.

Gimme this, an Assassin (maybe the Crusader next year) and a Deputy Dawg hero Urbie over the next year or so, and I'll be the happiest boy on earth. (some hyperbole may be involved in that statement)

#9 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 April 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

2 potential slots still open for the year. I'd rather get good and interesting than something just to fill a weight slot.

Gimme this, an Assassin (maybe the Crusader next year) and a Deputy Dawg hero Urbie over the next year or so, and I'll be the happiest boy on earth. (some hyperbole may be involved in that statement)

In before Urbanmech IIC, Assassin, Crossbow, Crossbow (Clan), Nova Cat, MK2 Uberpack. Posted Image

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 29 April 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

In general, though most of the mechs I post it's to raise awareness of interesting alternatives, not some Trump like campaign where "I gots to has it". There are a few I would love to see for sure, but it's more about "hey people, we actually do has options, see?"

About the only mech I'd probably stump for atm would be the Assassin or Vulcan.

#11 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 April 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

In general, though most of the mechs I post it's to raise awareness of interesting alternatives, not some Trump like campaign where "I gots to has it". There are a few I would love to see for sure, but it's more about "hey people, we actually do has options, see?"

About the only mech I'd probably stump for atm would be the Assassin or Vulcan.

All good to spread awareness. For example, how many people even remember the Thresher is a thing?

I think the only mech I'd bother campaigning for strongly is the Huntsman. I mean, it is both a virtual unknown in the community, and a damned fine medium!

This Crossbow IS, though? Actually looks like a good robot. Obscure, yes, but solid. I'd vote for it!

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 29 April 2016 - 08:22 AM.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 29 April 2016 - 08:18 AM, said:

All good to spread awareness. For example, how many people even remember the Thresher is a thing?

I think the only mech I'd bother campaigning for strongly is the Huntsman. I mean, it is both a virtual unknown in the community, and a damned fine medium!

This Crossbow IS, though? Actually looks like a good robot. Obscure, yes, but solid. I'd vote for it!

if I was to campaign for clans? Incubus and Vapor Eagle would be my focus, though I still realyl would LOVE to see a RFL-IIC.

#13 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:51 AM

Setting everything else aside, I would vote for this version of the Crossbow a million times before I'd ever vote for that self-sabotagingly bad Clan Omni version. In the scheme of things I'm not sure if that amounts to much but there you go.

#14 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:49 AM

I like your design Bishop, but after reading the history on sarna of this one I'd think we are better off with getting some of the non-obsolete models in before this one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users