Contest

64 replies to this topic

#1 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

A hero distinguishes himself/herself on the battlefield, but a Champion is one that rises above all.

Named after a famed monster in mythology, the Cyclops went into production during the Star League era. Its Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computer made this Battlemech a heavily sought item for any commander on the front lines. Unfortunately, the combination of wars and loss of the of the Battlemech's main factory make this mech a much-sought-after relic to a bygone era. Only a few have survived to this day.

But perhaps you just might know where one can be found...

Search the lore of your unit, your family, even your homeland, and find a Cyclops worthy enough to stand proudly in any war museum!

Tell us of the mech's many deeds. The battles it fought, the scars it carries, the odds weighed against its survival.

Tell us of what famous pilots gripped at its controls, who they fought, where they cut their teeth or drew their last breath.

Lastly, Tell us what made this particular mech unlike any other of its kind: Its tricks, its handling, the armor and armaments that made this war machine a terror on the battlefield through the ages.

Entry Rules:

Please do not submit any stories with information after the current in-game year (3053 I think).

Please limit your story to less than 2,500 words.

You are allowed to use real events and people but encouraged to include your unit or a character you created. (Name and Shame or similar personal attacks will be disqualified, and probably deleted)

Your story should follow a similar 3-part structure currently used by Randal Neil Bills.

Your story can either be in 1 piece or in multiple sections, such as those done by Randal Neil Bills. (5/3)

However, each should cover the following:
1. Story from the mech's long history.
2. Pilot or historical figure attached in some way to this mech.
3. A short description of the mech's looks and loadout.

These sections can be as long or as short as you desire, depending on which you'd like to focus your entry (5/3)

You may enter as many times as you wish, but only 1 prize will be given out to each user.

Attention to grammar, structure, and originality of story will serve to improve your chances of winning.

Although English would work best for me, you're welcome to submit entries in your native language (As long as Google Translate can convert it!).

You can edit your submissions, but please try to limit this. All changes made after the cutoff time will be disqualified!

Prizes
1st Place: Cyclops Collector's Pack (Provided by PGI)
2nd Place: Standard Package of Choice
3rd Place: Either $10 in MC or a Tournament Support Pack*

*Still checking as to whether I can purchase this and gift it to someone else.

Judging:

Tina Benoit has agreed to help me with judging the entries for the time being, but we might add more PGI staff to assist if they have time.

Questions:

Please ask any and all questions below, and only submit your stories to the "Cyclops Event Entries" thread.

If any changes need to be made I will make note of them as well as the time they were changed.

The cutoff date for entries will be Sunday May 15th at 12AM PDT.

Edited by Aranzor, 03 May 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:49 AM

Nice event, dude.

If only i could write worth a damn... Posted Image

#3 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:01 AM

This is awesome! I will certainly give a try. Posted Image

Edit: OK, things are developing well here. I think until tomorrow I will have something to post.

Edited by Odanan, 30 April 2016 - 09:40 AM.

#4 Ibrandul Mike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

View PostAranzor, on 29 April 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

Your story should follow a similar 3-part structure currently used by Randal Neil Bills.
1. Story from the mech's long history.
2. Pilot or historical figure attached in some way to this mech.
3. A short description of the mech's looks and loadout.

Do I have to follow the structure as it is laid out there? Because every stroy beginning with the history, followed by a pilot and a description ... would be quite boring after the first few.
Or is it more like have all three things in your story?

From the already submitted storys I would think it is the second one. But I wanted to have it clarified before I even try to write something :)

#5 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

To be honest, I did want to see these parts broken up in a similar way but perhaps I can better explain myself.

A Cyclops is such a rare thing even by mech standards that any surviving to this date would have a long and storied history.

The first part of the story, while among the most important, was to just be a showpiece to 'sell' the mech. The mech's history, how it managed to survive in this day and age, as well as what famous families or people might have held the controls, even what shape the mech was in or how it was painted or modified, were all something that could be explored in greater detail than previous lore posts.

I felt that, while each of these parts could be combined into the story itself, breaking them apart would allow for one to tackle the various aspects with greater freedom. However, if that does feel too boring I will relax the requirement on that aspect, provided these aspects are still incorporated into the story itself, as you suggest.

Posted Image

#6 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:24 AM

Nova's in.

#7 Bill Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 354 posts
  • LocationHiding from the Maskirovka

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Awe-freaking-some!!

#8 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:15 AM

View PostAranzor, on 01 May 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

However, if that does feel too boring I will relax the requirement on that aspect, provided these aspects are still incorporated into the story itself, as you suggest.

Please, do this.
I tried to merge all the requirements inside the story itself, and I believe other authors would also enjoy (and thrive with) that freedom.

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:34 AM

Whats the prize? an Eye patch for the cyclops?

Edited by Lily from animove, 03 May 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#10 Ibrandul Mike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:21 AM

Reading can save eye patches. Trolling not.

Prizes
1st Place: Cyclops Collector's Pack (Provided by PGI)
2nd Place: Standard Package of Choice
3rd Place: Either $10 in MC or a Tournament Support Pack*

#11 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostAranzor, on 29 April 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

A hero distinguishes himself/herself on the battlefield, but a Champion is one that rises above all.

Tell us of the mech's many deeds. The battles it fought, the scars it carries, the odds weighed against its survival.

Tell us of what famous pilots gripped at its controls, who they fought, where they cut their teeth or drew their last breath.

Lastly, Tell us what made this particular mech unlike any other of its kind: Its tricks, its handling, the armor and armaments that made this war machine a terror on the battlefield through the ages.

The cutoff date for entries will be Sunday May 15th at 12AM PDT.

So, am I making up a pilot, mech, etc... developing my of fluff as it were, or are we supposed to research canon pilots and mechs for this and spin a story based on blurbs in the canon?

#12 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

View PostBlind Baku, on 03 May 2016 - 08:20 AM, said:

So, am I making up a pilot, mech, etc... developing my of fluff as it were, or are we supposed to research canon pilots and mechs for this and spin a story based on blurbs in the canon?

The short answer to this is..."yes."

Either is entirely plausible to do, so long as you are not plagiarizing someone else's work.

As for canon mechs and pilots, keep in mind that anything up to the year 3053 is possible to include.

Think of yourself as standing before a painting or statue. What drew you to it? What you might learn about its history that makes it worthy of being IN that museum? Who painted or made it makes a huge difference of course, but thats never the whole story, nor does it always have to be uplifting. There are often many examples of bad or dark times for us to learn from as well.

On a fun note, something like a franken Cyclops would indeed be unique but not impossible, because of how hard replacement parts are to come by. I do ask that you keep it somewhat realistic and not give the mech a Spider's legs. Posted Image

Also, changes have been made and the date of the changes is marked. Rather than editing what I had I struck through the original so that it will better show what adjustments have been made. I also made a further adjustment that if someone would want to focus more on one of the other sections rather than just the "Story" portion, they can have that option as well.

Edited by Aranzor, 03 May 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#13 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostAranzor, on 03 May 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

The short answer to this is..."yes."

Wonderful, thank you I will be sure to write something up!

#14 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:12 AM

FYI, I made some significant edits to my entry. My entry is now considered final/complete, barring any minor grammar revisions.

#15 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:19 AM

So we're coming down to the last few days of the contest and want to say thanks to all that have entered so far!

For those of you who have not entered yet however.....What are you waiting for?!

Its a chance for a free mech pack!

#16 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

View PostHighlighter, on 08 May 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

FYI, I made some significant edits to my entry. My entry is now considered final/complete, barring any minor grammar revisions.

I had to revise my text too. Not only found some grammar issues but rewrote some phrases and developed some ideas.

#17 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

View PostOdanan, on 12 May 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

I had to revise my text too. Not only found some grammar issues but rewrote some phrases and developed some ideas.

I completely understand this and make changes all the time as well, which is why I'm not going to ding anyone for any changes up until the cutoff time. There will likely be some penalty for changes made after that, however. I have not yet decided how strict to be on that just yet.

#18 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:34 PM

I think stories are excellent and this event is great, it even got me to change ign to old TT name.
If anyone reading this hasn't posted a story yet then please do so soon because we all want to read more. Posted Image
Plus there's only 3 days left!!!

Edited by Max Rickson, 12 May 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#19 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

View PostOdanan, on 12 May 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

I wish I could find additional grammar issues.
But grammar was never my expertise. Neither in my native language (German) nor in English. Hardly passed school in this subject. Even with a 4-week practice in Ireland, an LCC Certificate and reading English Novels only would hardly change it.
Anyhow, I hope the story is somehow readable. Although 2500 words are not enough to deliver it properly.

#20 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

Need to read more stories. Posted Image
If you haven't posted a short story yet please do so.
Hurry, only 2 days left.

And bump! Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users