Question

178 replies to this topic

#21 paws2sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:57 AM

Wolverine. I haven't seen many Wolverines, ever, and that's a shame because I really liked them in TT. Their lack of use has discouraged me from investing in them. There's been a slight uptick in their use in CW Scouting matches, but Griffins and even Shadowhawks seem to outperform them at that weight, in that setting.

Commando. These are my current misery. I've tried metamechs builds. loadouts suited more to my own playstyle, and they just don't seem to stand up well to anything else in the Light class. SRM drive-bys on the rear armor of Assaults aside, these things are just awful for me to play. I just finished Eliting the 1D, 3A, and 1B. (I was originally considering buying the master pack, you see, and didn't want overlap). Now I'm seriously considering selling them because they've been so un-fun.

Zeus. I've theory crafted a couple builds that I want to eventually try, but the constant poo-pooing on the Zeus makes me hesitant to invest in this one.

Victor. No longer useful, because no longer meta. Well, that's want people keep telling me anyway. Loved it in TT. I want to love it here too. But again, limited C-Bills means that I'm inclined to avoid it for right now.

Hmm... These might be getting too far afield, but...

Maybe as a general thing, debunk the notion that formerly-meta mechs are no longer worth playing because they aren't meta.

Maybe discuss the wrong-headed idea that meta is the only way to play. My $0.02 is that that attitude is toxic and harms the skill development of newer players.

-paws

#22 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

I'll put in my vote for my Wolverine and Zeus.

Now, that said, reasoning is a little different. Those were my two very first mechs I owned, and I've fully mastered many of the variants. I don't find them to be abominations or bad mechs and look forward to getting them some favorable looks and reviews
if you give them a run. Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 AmazingOnionMan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:24 AM

Oh, not much love for the Wolverine. I really like it - one of my favourites, even if it suffers badly from Right Arm Syndrome and an unhealthy combination of bulk and squishyness.
Two mechs I don't see too often are the Victor and the Zeus. Having owned both, I can sort of understand why. Yet the third of the light assaults, the Awesome - quite possibly the most maligned mech in the game after the Vindicator, is fairly common?
The Rifleman is another mech that is rare on the battlefield, even with it's not yet worn off new mech smell.

#24 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:25 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 02 May 2016 - 11:29 PM, said:

Yeah, I definitely found getting anything worthwhile out of the Mist Lynx required ditching ECM. The shadowcat too, actually.

2LPL&ECM. The best build by far.

#25 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:30 AM

View PostTercieI, on 03 May 2016 - 05:25 AM, said:

2LPL&ECM. The best build by far.
I happily trade ECM for another DHS. I don't get a lot of mileage out of ECM, ID rather not have to worry about it giving away my proximity (and never remember I can turn it off)

#26 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:34 AM

MLX, COM, VND, KTO, DRG, CTF, ON1, AWS, VTR, ZEU, HGN, KFX, GAR

I'm excluding IFR & SMN because despite a generally bad rap, comp players understand they both have a couple roles they're very good at. That info is out there.

View PostWintersdark, on 03 May 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

I happily trade ECM for another DHS. I don't get a lot of mileage out of ECM, ID rather not have to worry about it giving away my proximity (and never remember I can turn it off)

Proximity? Live at 500M, poke from shifting positions, rarely get shot back. I'm far from an ECM fanboy, but it's key to the play style of that build.

#27 DJ Mitchell

• PipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 61 posts
  • Locationright behind you

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:26 AM

Would add EXE also to your list.

#28 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

View PostDJ Mitchell, on 03 May 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

Would add EXE also to your list.

Really? I see them a lot, probably the most common clan assault these days.

#29 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

MLX, COM, VND, KTO, DRG, CTF, ON1, AWS, VTR, ZEU, HGN, KFX, GAR

Also Nova and Panther.

#30 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostVlad Striker, on 03 May 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

Also Nova and Panther.

NVA? No way. I see 2ERPPC and rack o' laser NVAs frequently. It's not the most common, but it's definitely around.

Panther would be the top end of my list, but probably belongs. It's stupid fun, but you have to have a certain inclination (and skill, it's unforgiving).

#31 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

Huh, Surprised to see some of my favourites like the Nova, Gargoyle and Locust here.

Whelp, for me, the most unpopular mech in my stable is the Orion. Which is a shame, because it was the only 75 ton IS mech when I got it. To be fair, heavies are my worst wieght class. But the hardpoints only allow dual Uac5s on one variant, and the hitboxes lends itself to easy targetting. That said, mastering the Orion was definitely helpful whilest I was starting out in teaching me to expand my skillsets and still has one of my favourite builds. (Lrms pccs and an Ac10 backup for everyone who actually reads my load out an charges into minimum range. Talk about a change from all brawling builds.)

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 03 May 2016 - 09:50 AM.

#32 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostLeone, on 03 May 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

Huh, Surprised to see some of my favourites like the Nova, Gargoyle and Locust here.

The LCT does not belong here. It's fairly popular and one variant (the 1E) is legitimately good.

#33 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

What I love about the new Scouting mode that it's given lots of 'mechs a new lease on life. You regularly see Shadow Hawks, Wolverines, Locusts (and not only 1E) doing well there, at least in IS-vs-IS games the mech diversity is basically great.

With the mobile play style and less hiding behind cover, lots of 'mechs whose problems revolved around hardpoint locations are suddenly doing just fine.

#34 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

Another one that just occurred to me is the Spider. All variants, really. Some talk of trying them in scouting, but I haven't done it yet, nor has anyone I drop with. Pro is of course speed and agility plus tiny profile. Con is everything else.

#35 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

The Champion variants for all Clan Light and Medium mechs. They really do suck, especially the Mist Lynx. However, people shouldn't write the Mist Lynx off so quickly. The Prime Variant is a pretty good all range combatant, although once you run out of ammo, you are essentially useless in anything other than scouting missions, and even then only if you are on the attacking team. The twin PPC variant makes for an easy to use energy sniper as well, if you are so inclined to that kind of fighting.

#36 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 03 May 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

Another one that just occurred to me is the Spider. All variants, really. Some talk of trying them in scouting, but I haven't done it yet, nor has anyone I drop with. Pro is of course speed and agility plus tiny profile. Con is everything else.

I see. and drive/pilot the Spider quite frequently.
For the pros you forgot the best hitboxes in the game and excellent jump capability, Spider especially the 5V is the most mobile chassis in the game, but also the least heavily armed.

#37 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 03 May 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

I see. and drive/pilot the Spider quite frequently.

Not me. ed: perhaps I should have said "me too", but: I can't recall the last time I saw one that wasn't the one I was driving.

Edited by Bud Crue, 03 May 2016 - 10:58 AM.

#38 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 03 May 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

The Champion variants for all Clan Light and Medium mechs. They really do suck, especially the Mist Lynx. However, people shouldn't write the Mist Lynx off so quickly. The Prime Variant is a pretty good all range combatant, although once you run out of ammo, you are essentially useless in anything other than scouting missions, and even then only if you are on the attacking team. The twin PPC variant makes for an easy to use energy sniper as well, if you are so inclined to that kind of fighting.

Man, I'd love a twin PPC MLX.:D

#39 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

Ice Ferret, Gargoyle, Myst Lynx, Adder, Kit Fox and the Executioner are on my short list.

Ice Ferret due to its geometry, and lack of weight for any decent weaponry in comparison to other mechs of its size.

Gargoyle just seems very underwhelming due to weight constraints. Perhaps if there were ammo quirks this mech would perform better with its ballistic/missile mix.

Myst Lynx where to begin? Too wide due to the jutting out arms. ECM located in the arm, as opposed to a side torso which is a disadvantage due to the jutting out arms.

Adder is just too large, and too slow. I don't quite understand its role honestly, aside of hanging around the big boys, but if something smaller and faster engages, you can't possibly dream of catching it.

Kit Fox is too large as well. I have a love hate relationship with this mech. The arm with the ECM and AMS is wonderful, but it's too large and easily removed. Would prefer the ECM once again in the side torso. Arm mounted ECM is just not a good thing.

Executioner has decent hard points, but something about it prevents it from shining.

#40 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 03 May 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

View PostTercieI, on 03 May 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

Man, I'd love a twin PPC MLX.Posted Image

unfortunately that is not possible, even with no armour there is only 11 tons free space, and a Clan ERPPC weighs in at 6 tons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users