Nvidia Pascal Coming Soon

31 replies to this topic

#1 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:38 PM

Tonight, Nvidia held a press conference to announce their two new gaming GPUs based on the new Pascal architecture. There were a lot of naysayers here in the forums for months leading up to this, but now that they've arrived, we know a few things.

First - actual third-party performance numbers are not here yet. Those are still under NDA, and I don't think any reviewers have yet received their samples. That will likely happen next week, and of course NDA is probably held to midnight PST on launch day.

Second - when I roughed the math and said it was possible that these cards would literally double performance at the same price point, there were not many people that were willing to agree. I said 'sure, not extremely likely, but very possible.' Turns out, it happened. GTX 1080 is, according to Nvidia, roughly equivalent to GTX 980 SLI performance-wise. I believe the price will be $50 higher than GTX 980 on release day, but that beats buying two 980s in a lot of ways. No crappy SLI to mess with or require support of, lower power consumption, less heat in the case, etc.

Third - 8GB of VRAM on the 1070 and 1080 means nobody will be sad about CW taking up 3GB of VRAM at 1080 on 'very high' settings. I know there are a fair amount of people out there with 1GB and 2GB cards. If they're looking for an upgrade, the new cards are looking pretty 'near-future-proof' (meaning, future proof for the next couple years).

Fourth - Unfortunately, I foresee that keeping these cards fed with data may require a little more from the CPU, so the CPU hits MWO incurs could get slightly heavier. At this point, I would recommend any new systems people are planning on building be based on Skylake. Every IPC boost you can get is a good thing with this game, and if these cards will need a little more CPU as it is to keep from being bottlenecked, Skylake is the chip with the highest IPC.

Commence obligatory internet arguments.

#2 JRR1285

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

I have been holding out for a very long time. Still running a single GTX 470 since my second card started causing instability.

The GTX 1070 looks like the card for me. I will try to hold out until this Fall when the availability will be higher and hopefully there will be some sales. Perhaps I will grab a GTX 970 or an R9 390 if the prices drop a bit. I probably won't be able to wait and end up getting something this summer.

I am running a 4790K at stock speeds which should be sufficient I hope.

#3 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:51 AM

Hopefully amd will launch something before nvidia sells too many of these silly "founders" cards.

Is it really worth $100 to be a few weeks early and be stuck with a reference cooler? I guess it won't matter to the real enthousiasts who put waterblocks on.

#4 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:23 AM

Apparently the 1070 will be the go to if what Nvidia says is true, Stronger than a Titan X with a Price of only $379 to be released June 10th so only a month away! the 1080 will be $600 & is to be released May 27th, so just weeks away!
http://arstechnica.c...icing-revealed/
http://www.anandtech...e-gtx-1080-1070
http://www.pcgamer.c...vidia-gtx-1080/

Edited by Lord Letto, 07 May 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#5 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

Nvidia is making claims based on double-precision floating point performance, it seems (where Maxwell is universally terrible), rather than gaming performance, or even real benchmark performance.

3dmark numbers leaked seem to indicate the 1080 is somewhere in the realm of the 980TI in games, perhaps modestly faster, at 599, which isn't too shabby if you consider the floating point performance and RAM hikes, featurewise.

http://hexus.net/tec...medium=facebook

My 980TI scored 25k GPU on the 3dmark11 test. I don't have a copy of 3dmark that can run the Firestrike Extreme test.

Edited by Catamount, 07 May 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#6 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

Turns out cards were overnighted via FedEx after the event. We'll see reviews start popping up at least a week before release, too.

I think the GTX 1070 is about to become the "gold standard" for "mid-range" builds in here. I anticipate many "OP, if you can spend $50 more on the GPU, you can get something that will definitely max out this game" statements.

I really hope AMD's Polaris GPUs live up to their hype, too, so we can maybe even see some good early price cutting going on.

#7 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

Good.

Cheap 970's will make me very happy.

#8 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostOderint dum Metuant, on 08 May 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

Cheap 970's will make me very happy.

Show your math …

Soooo where's the 250W (or so) Pascal? Posted Image

#9 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:57 PM

View PostGoose, on 08 May 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Show your math …

Being binned for supercomputers at the moment. I imagine either in October or next February we'll see a 'Ti'.

#10 Uparmored Rickshaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 May 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

Hopefully amd will launch something before nvidia sells too many of these silly "founders" cards.

Is it really worth $100 to be a few weeks early and be stuck with a reference cooler? I guess it won't matter to the real enthousiasts who put waterblocks on.

AMD? The 1080 is a coup de gras headshot to AMD for now. Maybe next year they can release something worth of substance.

#11 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

View PostGoose, on 08 May 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Show your math …

When the price of the 1080/1070 is reasonable, stock of 980s and 970s will be price crushed, which will also have a knock on effect on the second hand market.

#12 Rykiel

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:04 PM

View PostOderint dum Metuant, on 08 May 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

When the price of the 1080/1070 is reasonable, stock of 980s and 970s will be price crushed, which will also have a knock on effect on the second hand market.

We are already seeing that -- GTX 980 Ti owners are offering their video cards at sub-$450 USD used prices here in the United States.

After all, with a stock GTX 1070 supposedly being slightly better than a stock GTX Titan X for the great price of $379 MSRP, it's going to be a great value upgrade season for those still holding onto a GTX 970 or less ... Posted Image

#13 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

If you look at the graphs nvidia showed, the 1080 easily beating the 980, but compared to a 980Ti it won't be a big step up in regular games, only if you use VR or other shenanigans.

The 1070 has a 256bit bus and gddr5, I'd say that'll put some constraints on performance, even with massive overclocks on the gpu itself. I doubt it'll be faster than a 980Ti in regular games, though it will be in VR titles.

View PostWar 4H, on 08 May 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

AMD? The 1080 is a coup de gras headshot to AMD for now. Maybe next year they can release something worth of substance.

The rumors say polaris is a very small chip, aimed at a different level of performance. If it gets better price/performance than a 1070 I'd be interested, even if it's not as fast.

Edited by Flapdrol, 10 May 2016 - 12:10 AM.

#14 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:31 AM

Polaris and Vega are supposed to compete against their similarly-priced Nvidia counterparts. We won't know what those are until the announcement, though. Probably at Computex.

AMD's GPUs are supposedly built on the slightly smaller CPU node, though, so they may have a slight advantage compared to Nvidia. Or, conversely, maybe Nvidia made their chips a little bigger because of what they were expecting to compete against with this slight disadvantage.

I'm eyeing a 1080. The 980 is good, but I want to bump up the resolution from 1080p finally, and newer things at 2k/4k are starting to really stress this generation's top tier cards.

#15 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

Given the disappointment that Fury was do we really have faith in AMD at this point?

#16 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

The fury often underperforms, but in ashes of the singularity it's easily the fastest card. And if you look at current gpu offerings the 390 is the best deal.

I have faith they'll launch a competitive product.

#17 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

Official reviews are now making their way out. The GTX 1080 is roughly 30% faster in most games compared to the 980 Ti. The 980 Ti was 10-30% faster than the 980 depending on the game, making the 1080 about 50% faster than the 980.

It also uses less energy than the 980Ti. So far, only the founders edition 'reference' cards are out and being reviewed, so aftermarket improved cooling solutions will likely extend the lead a little bit more in the coming months.

Compared to AMD's Fury X card, its worst case is about 20% faster when it comes to asynchronous compute (Ashes of the Singularity) and its best case is about 60% (Battlefield 4). The average is something around 35%. Since AMD is going to be really late to the game with Vega, they need to hope that it's faster than the 1080 when it comes out and priced to compete.

#18 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:55 AM

Gonna wait for a partner card with more than a 8 pin power connector

I saw some performance Overclocking tests where the 1080 gained ~5% fps by overclocking only the GDDR5X
Wonder how much a 1080ti with a wider bus (like 980ti) and Ram clocked at more mature ratings would fare

Also I'd kill for a skylake with a load of edram
sigh
Maybe with kaby lake again

#19 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 20 May 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Gonna wait for a partner card with more than a 8 pin power connector

I saw some performance Overclocking tests where the 1080 gained ~5% fps by overclocking only the GDDR5X
Wonder how much a 1080ti with a wider bus (like 980ti) and Ram clocked at more mature ratings would fare

Also I'd kill for a skylake with a load of edram
sigh
Maybe with kaby lake again

Well, it's assumed that the eventual 1080Ti would have HBM2 memory clocking in at about triple the bandwidth. However, seeing what little HBM did for Fury X, I don't think it'll make that much of a difference unless you're running brand new games at 4k.

I think I might end up going with an EVGA hybrid 1080 if they aren't too above and beyond the prices for other 1080s.

Broadwell-E may end up having the eDRAM as well, which is being announced in a couple of weeks. It either does a wonder, or it does nothing. There isn't much in-between, and it doesn't seem like it helps with most games.

#20 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

The 1080 isn't worth it for me to get over my 980TI, but it's damn close, and that's scary. The 1080TI... might be (if it's consistently 60-70% faster, I will spend to get it).

Nvidia has pulled some serious nonsense gains out of their rear ends with this generation, and I will admit to being taken completely by surprise there. I may root for AMD, but I think it's pretty obvious here that nothing short of a miracle will keep them competitive against Pascal. The 1080 is the new 8800GT.

Edited by Catamount, 20 May 2016 - 12:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users