Recommend Me A Spotter Build?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

Hi,

I just popped back into the game (damn that MW tactics trailer), only to find out that there is a new skill system!
So I was hoping the new skill system will allow me to do some proper informational warfare with my Locust PB? But how do I go about building one? I ended up grabbing EVERY Sensor and Survival skills, along with a few Mobility (mainly for Hill Climbs). I just run behind enemy line and stay around there, trying to spot enemies. The plus side is Locusts are tiny, and fast. But I have basically no points in offense, and I only have enough weight to slap on a few small lasers--so I figured I'd just slap on machineguns and flamers for the lulz (still managed to use up 60 tons on weapons though).
Last game I was running around behind the enemy line for most of the game, spamming my MG until I was out of ammo, and ended up doing 40 damage. I feel that I did enough to annoy the enemies and kept them from focusing on my team, and throwing down ECMs and spotting. But is it enough? Any tips on the builds/equips/play style? Should I just drop a few flamers and try to slap on some kind of targeting computer/probe?

Edited by Xoco, 18 May 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

IMO, spotting isn't really a thing in this game, unless you know you have LRMs, and in that case you are going to want a NARC, which the PB can't do.

MGs and flamers aren't enough to contribute to the fight, borderline troll build. The stock build isn't bad with 4 smalls and mg's, or go 4 small pulse or 4 medium lasers. Invest in the ECM nodes too. You'll be stealthy, be able to spot, and effective in combat.

You could throw a TAG in there if you REALLY want to spot stuff but it can give away your position. Same for BAP, fits the theme, but its not a good idea.

Edited by Roughneck45, 18 May 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#3 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

Now as someone who ran the Locust 1V with a TAG, I can say it's okay on occasion but unless you have a use for it, your just trolling for c-bills. Now the COM-2D was a thing with ECM, 3 streaks and a TAG.

#4 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

What can you do with the Raven 3L?
Should I go with Narc and take more of the narc skills to even further buff?
Or 2x ERLL + TAG as before?

#5 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 19 May 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Your call. ERLL are always going to be the most viable offensive strategy, but I've watched a NARC raven with a few LRM boats on his team completely decimate enemies on polar.

Its got nice perks for the narc, you are just taking a gamble with having LRM friendlies.

#6 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

PIRATES' BANE

Metus' skills for PB

The above two links are for the build and skills that I have active on my PB, long story short, don't stop moving unless you are sure you can take the time to tag someone up, then run like hell!

#7 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:22 AM

Unfortunately, spotting in MWO barely amounts to more than the intial "They're in XY".
Although sneaking up behind the enemy team, marking targets or dropping a UAV, especially on Polar Highlands, can be devastating.

What you can always do on top of that is the stealthy hit&run component killer.
Get the highest burst damage possible (4 small pulse for the PB), max Target Info Gathering, pick your targets and take out specific components. You can also forward targeting info to your team mates.

The Raven 3L worked really well for me with a Narc and 3 medium pulse lasers.
Narc fresh targets and apply the same component-targeting tactic as above.
It runs really hot, but you're not there to stay anyways.

As for the skill tree, most of the sensor nodes are useful, definitely get the ECM skills and target info.
You should also invest heavily in Agility, Operations and Auxiliary.
You can carry two (!) UAVs and Air Strikes and Capture Accelerator is useful too.
As you'll want to go for hit&run Survivability skills might be wasted.
You're better off dumping your remaining points into range and cooldown.

Edited by Guile Votoms, 23 May 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#8 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

myst lynx

#9 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:47 PM

View PostReno Blade, on 19 May 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

The problem with NARC is that, outside of it keeping a target broadcasting for its duration, it doesn't do anything. It does not stack with Artemis IV, and every even remotely serious missile-chucker is running Artemis. So NARC is just wasted tonnage and ammo crit risk except in the severely niche case of you wanting to keep a flank-lock on something that is about to break LoS with you. Even then you're probably better off repositioning than announcing your presence with a NARC impact and that little ECM counter icon on their HUD.

TAG is more useful as it actually stacks with Artemis, but then you've got a whole other can of worms. Again, attentive enemies will notice the anti-ECM alert on their HUD. Then they will turn and follow the big, shiny red line right to you. And if you're dodging fire, you're not TAGing, and then you have to ask yourself why you brought that TAG unit in the first place.

TAG spotting transfers the risk of having to expose yourself and hold LoS out in the open from the missile boats to you, and as a light mech that kind of exposure is something you can't really afford. It CAN work, but it rarely does. If MWO was a much larger game with much larger maps and more logistical concerns, spotting would be great. But as it is, spotting is merely a distraction that keeps Light 'mech pilots from fulfilling their true potentials, wasting their time and energy performing a role that the game mechanics simply don't support very much.

#10 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

View PostTrissila, on 24 August 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

The problem with NARC is that, outside of it keeping a target broadcasting for its duration, it doesn't do anything. It does not stack with Artemis IV, and every even remotely serious missile-chucker is running Artemis

While its true they don't stack because they provide the same bonus, Artemis requires LOS from the missile carrier to get the bonus, NARC provides that bonus without LOS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users