The Kit (Of Tools And Killy Items) Fox

56 replies to this topic

#1 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

So, after observing thread after thread, comment after comment of players who continue to bash on the Kit Fox, I've decided to write this one up. It's really a misunderstood (and often misused) 'Mech, which really has tremendous flexibility in what you can do with it.

The first thing to be aware of is that the Kit Fox is really a tiny, tiny fragile medium masquerading as a light 'Mech. It does not run fast. It does not speedtank. So why would you pilot something like this in the first place? With the advent of the ACH in the clan stables, you could be forgiven for thinking that the Kit Fox is obsolete.

Flexibility. With a cXL engine that isn't oversized for its chassis weight, you have an enormous amount of pod space for a light 'Mech. With full armour (sans some head armour and a tiny amount of leg armour), and no extra weight from fixed equipment on any OmniPod, the Kit Fox has an enormous 15 tons of pod space on a 30-ton light mech. That's right - half of its mass is weapons, ammo and other killy gear! Couple that with lightweight clan weapons, and you've got a recipe for a light mech that hits extremely hard for its weight and size - much like an Adder.

Basic Kit Fox setup

Unlike the Adder, however, it has OmniPods with Jump Jets available. Up to 6 can be fitted, giving the Kit Fox fairly good vertical mobility. You can mix and match these for as much vertical mobility as you require, but keep in mind that all of these OmniPods come with negative structure penalties. Which brings me to the next reason why someone would want to use a Kit Fox.

It's also deceptively agile with its acceleration-deceleration quirks. Even with only a cXL180, the Kit Fox decelerates, accelerates and turns much, much faster than a raven with a XL275. Sure, it doesn't get the same top speed, but it turns exceptionally well, and can side-peek much better with a far bigger payload.

Durability. Yes, yes, I've heard it a lot of times. More times than I care to remember, from people who like to pilot heavies or fast lights. The Kit Fox is supposedly fragile due to its size and lack of speed. It really is huge. It also has some of the most obscene structural and armour quirks for a light 'Mech, which easily puts it 10-15 tons higher in durability depending on what OmniPods you take. The Prime RA (ballistic RA) has a whopping +20 armour on it. KFX-D arms (missile arms) have +10 armour and +10 structure, making them almost as good. STs have +7 structure, and legs have +14. This means that your Kit Fox, to start with, should have about 82 additional hitpoints on it spread out all over the mech. It's no Hunchback as far as tankiness goes, but for a slow mech it's quite respectable.

It also has the most amazing shield arms in the game because of the way the arms are shaped. Massive, paddle-shaped forearms, which get a VCR box taped to the top and bottom if you choose to run missiles on them. Simply put, these things block over two thirds of your side profile. They're that big. You can consciously roll damage very well just by turning side-to-side. I've lost count of how many times I've ended a match in a Kit Fox below 15-20% hp, just because people can't really hit the part they want to hit.

But enough of that. You want to see the useful builds for the glorious toolbox of infinite flexibility. I will split these by type of build.

Ballistic Builds
Spoiler

Missile Builds
Spoiler

Energy Builds
Spoiler

Support Builds
Spoiler

SPECIAL: Purifier Builds
These builds REQUIRE the Kit Fox Hero mech! They are substantially more powerful than the standard KFX loadouts!
Spoiler

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 12 January 2017 - 07:28 PM.

#2 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:12 AM

I agree. It can't be that bad if I (bad pilot) can do 400 - 800 dmg matches in that mech.

I'd like to add my KFX-C build with an UAC/10 + 3 CERSL to your list. I liked that one. The Prime with 2 CLPL + 1 CSRM6 did well too.

#3 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

It would be great if you could design a Kit Fox for Scouting missions, specifically Protect Intel missions. I run a Mist Lynx for Gather missions, and I would like to run a light that packs a bit more punch for Protect Missions.

#4 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:15 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 11 May 2016 - 04:24 PM, said:

It would be great if you could design a Kit Fox for Scouting missions, specifically Protect Intel missions. I run a Mist Lynx for Gather missions, and I would like to run a light that packs a bit more punch for Protect Missions.

I found the quad MPL or quad SRM4 one works quite well with that, but it's hard to work with because the intel attackers usually run really fast mechs. You'd have to camp their extraction point and hope you can blow off their legs with one good hit.

#5 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. I really want to be successful with under appreciated mechs such as the Mist Lynx and the Kit Fox, and things like this can help with that. I guess when it comes down to it, I'm the type of person who will deliberately reject what is considered to be "Meta" and will do exactly the opposite, all while trying to be successful in order to prove that it can be done. For example, LRM boating in Scout mode? Why not? No one runs AMS in Scout mode and if you have BAP ECM isn't really a problem.

#6 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 11 May 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice. I really want to be successful with under appreciated mechs such as the Mist Lynx and the Kit Fox, and things like this can help with that. I guess when it comes down to it, I'm the type of person who will deliberately reject what is considered to be "Meta" and will do exactly the opposite, all while trying to be successful in order to prove that it can be done. For example, LRM boating in Scout mode? Why not? No one runs AMS in Scout mode and if you have BAP ECM isn't really a problem.

Well, the biggest problem I see with LRM boating in scout mode is that fast lights will either close the gap or run behind cover too quickly, and as a light you generally don't pack enough tubes to make a big enough dent.

#7 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

My Kit Fox outperforms my Firestarters and here is the surprise...i flank or infiltrate far into enemy territory.

I like to be flexible with my weapon selection. 1x ERSL, 1x ERML, 4x MG, ECM, JJ, and either ER LL or a ER PPC.
Damage unstable. 150 to 600 but sometimes spikes into 700 to +900.

The most amusing ability of this build is when i'm the only survivor on my team and the enemy is all slow mechs.
I can engage at the range that suits me since a Kit Fox is still faster than an assault mech and thus an a pair of assault brawler mechs becomes toothless kittens.

#8 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

I am waiting on the re-scale. If the Kit Fox shrinks I will be bringing mine out to play again.

#9 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:37 PM

Updated to include the upcoming Kit Fox - Purifier mixed-build. Now with the most obscenely powerful alpha strike of all lights!

#10 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:20 PM

Fox, you may have sold me on the Uller. For that, you are a credit to Clan Wolf

#11 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

View PostFox With A Shotgun, on 09 October 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

Updated to include the upcoming Kit Fox - Purifier mixed-build. Now with the most obscenely powerful alpha strike of all lights!

Just saw your post from the daily whine and came back. (I "predicted" your build, but then I realized you'd already posted it here)

My adder is jealous. (max brawlpha strike of 54)

FWIW, JR7-IIC can equal the KFX alpha strike, but then again..it's not quirked at all.

#12 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:57 AM

This has been my most successful KFX build (though mine's on a Prime CT). I keep the support hardware safe by poking only with the left side. I only have that one KFX at the moment, but I plan on getting the hero chassis, and may also buy back my KFX-S. I can't remember why I got rid of the other variants...

#13 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

View PostGamerGirlGundam, on 10 October 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

that Purifier close range build looks brutal coming out of a surprise cutiefox

does anyone have a theorycrafted energy boat Purifier build already ? (5ml might be a bit hot ? idk)

I have a theory, but it depends on where the torso energy hardpoints are located. If at least one of the two are up where the ballistic hardpoints are for the KFX-S, then I'm looking at using the KFX-C right arm, the KFX-Prime left arm, and running 2ERLLs and 5 SPLs, along with fitting one KFX-S leg to get a pair of jump jets.

I suspect they'll put one torso hardpoint up at the ballistic spot, but the second either beside the cockpit or lower. If you can play with the loadout to position both ERLLs to the top hardpoint you can barely peek over hills and unload long range damage (and ECM will help avoid being seen or targeted), plus you'll have 5 SPLs to use against any lights who come investigating. Might have to change those SPLs to SLs though and fit some heatsinks.

#14 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:34 PM

The KFX hero isn't going to make this chassis the best of its class but I am pretty sure it's going to be the best of its chassis. We don't know quirks yet, but if they are decent KFX might become better than ADR, and ADR is a very decent mech.

#15 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

The hero mech is going to help the kit fox a lot!

Its going to be pretty mean!

#16 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:44 PM

View PostGamerGirlGundam, on 10 October 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

that Purifier close range build looks brutal coming out of a surprise cutiefox

does anyone have a theorycrafted energy boat Purifier build already ? (5ml might be a bit hot ? idk)

Kit Fox is still hampered by an undersized engine (and therefore PoorDubs) so even running 4ML is rather hot.

Keeping in mind that a CERSL is more or less equivalent to an IS ML, you might want to try going with 8x CERSL and pad the rest of the space with DHS + 1x TComp I, or 7x CERSL + 1 ECM + 1x TComp I. This results in a mech with a reasonable ranged pinpoint alpha with still good heat management.

#17 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

5ERML will not be THAT hot, you can get 18DHS compared to the IFR's 16 and the ADR's 20. (with T.Comp 1, ofc)

True, poor dubs, but atleast you will outcool the fridge.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 10 October 2016 - 06:22 PM.

#18 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

In last sale I brough one Kit Fox. I thought it having nominally 5 tons more, plus then some(due to lower engine), it would be simply a better light sniper than my belowed Mist Lyxt. I have 2 ER-L lasers on both, plus ECM obviously. With Mist Lynx I have very light amount of armor to carry those lasers, with Kit Fix I have better armor plus few more heat sinks.

Turns out it's not very good, at least with that loadout. It's so huge and you have to expose so much to be able to shoot. I lose the arm all the time and then I'm left with no weapons. Where as Mist Lynx is nearly immortal.

So far I haven't been able to make it work. Also initially I tried to run it with 3x AMS. I even unlocked AMS overload module just for it and bought it. But, fight after fight, I had no use for it. I tried to cover my allies but LRM boats are so rare I never could see it to work. I even turned off the ECM to help enemies lock on the friendlies close by in case they have LRMs, so see how effective those AMS's are, but no.

So eventually after few dozens of games I decided to drop them as it was just wasted tonnage better spent on heat sinks, plus it's difficult to snipe the enemy when you are along with rest of your team. But overall I really struggle to make any impact and I really hate losing the weapon arm so often. Mist Lynx also has it weapons on one arm only but I rarely lose it, at least no prematurely, even though having very little armor unlike in Kit Fox.

#19 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

Never underestimate the Uller! I have had great success with any of the SRM loadouts of the D config. Long since I've piloted one now, but I sure will get around to it eventually. They are very fun to pilot. And nothing is as satisfying as acting like a jenner, smashing surms into heavies, assaults and even faster lights that gets to cocky! Posted Image

#20 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostTeer5, on 16 October 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

In last sale I brough one Kit Fox. I thought it having nominally 5 tons more, plus then some(due to lower engine), it would be simply a better light sniper than my belowed Mist Lyxt. I have 2 ER-L lasers on both, plus ECM obviously. With Mist Lynx I have very light amount of armor to carry those lasers, with Kit Fix I have better armor plus few more heat sinks.

Turns out it's not very good, at least with that loadout. It's so huge and you have to expose so much to be able to shoot. I lose the arm all the time and then I'm left with no weapons. Where as Mist Lynx is nearly immortal.

So far I haven't been able to make it work. Also initially I tried to run it with 3x AMS. I even unlocked AMS overload module just for it and bought it. But, fight after fight, I had no use for it. I tried to cover my allies but LRM boats are so rare I never could see it to work. I even turned off the ECM to help enemies lock on the friendlies close by in case they have LRMs, so see how effective those AMS's are, but no.

So eventually after few dozens of games I decided to drop them as it was just wasted tonnage better spent on heat sinks, plus it's difficult to snipe the enemy when you are along with rest of your team. But overall I really struggle to make any impact and I really hate losing the weapon arm so often. Mist Lynx also has it weapons on one arm only but I rarely lose it, at least no prematurely, even though having very little armor unlike in Kit Fox.

Which one did you buy? I've found great success with 4 MGs and 4ERMLs on the S.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users