Why I Quit

56 replies to this topic

#1 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:43 AM

Okay so, the title is a bit of a misnomer, I didn't 'quit' so much as 'don't play very often'. But 'Why I Quit' is more click-baity :P

There's just too much down-time. I started recording my game sessions and watching them over I wasn't really that surprised to find I spend about 50% of my time playing, and 50% of my time searching/loading. I haven't really analysed the downtime for CW (errr 'faction play' now?) but I reckon it's even worse, and the match-making is so abysmal that I rarely bother. The latest CW event was the only one I didn't really participate in, I played a couple of games but even with the event on, the wait times are too long, and the calibre of player is even lower. Basically, now, the only time I play Mechwarrior Online is when I have something else I need to do. When I do the dishes, I'll start searching for a match, go do a bunch, wait until I can hear the drop ship engines then do a couple more (I don't think I've ever played in a non-competitive/non-clan-scrim where everyone hit 'Ready') before coming back to the PC. But when I sit down with the intention to play a game, MWO is very low on the list.

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

Yet in your Sig it says you were #2 for the lone wolves event....

>.>

If you're not feeling it then take a break and play some other games, everyone needs time from just one game.

Try some ridiculously fun games or some interesting ones. One I play when no one on MWO is playing much, is Rust. Survival game online multiplayer, with servers and all. Gets crazy though when you're playing with 100+ people with a 5-15 mile radius in the game :3

#3 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

here man

http://www.onemorelevel.com/

go nuts

#4 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

It's an issue.

Exacerbated by the UI locking you up into hampster wheel and removing mechlab and even the (limited) social functions in MWO from being accessable.

Makes streaming and esport promotion side all that much more of a joke too.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Solo-Q wait times are pretty short. Especially in a non-Heavy mech.

I must admit though, the save mech loadout wait time is maddening. How the hell does it take that long?

Edited by El Bandito, 13 May 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#6 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 13 May 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

Yet in your Sig it says you were #2 for the lone wolves event....

>.>

If you're not feeling it then take a break and play some other games, everyone needs time from just one game.

Pretty sure that 'Faction Challenge 3' was in November 2014...

And I like the game play just fine, I'm feelin' it... but only about 50% of the time. The other 50% is spent loading/searching.

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 May 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Solo-Q wait times are pretty short. Especially in a non-Heavy mech.

I must admit though, the save mech loadout wait time is maddening. How the hell does it take that long?

"My 50% of the game is waiting time" was referring specifically to videos of the solo queue using light mechs, but I'm pretty sure they were also both recorded on a Monday afternoon. I'm sure it's much worse, and much better, depending on a number of factors, namely group queue/heavy mechs take longer, but 50% was an approximation.

Edited by The Flying Gecko, 13 May 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#7 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostThe Flying Gecko, on 13 May 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

Pretty sure that was November 2014... I used to play a lot Posted Image

Oh I know I was just messing with ya :P

#8 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

That's why I've suggested multiple times in the past to at least create a "multi-round" style system.

The MM spends so much time looking for balanced teams, you'd figure it would at least try and keep those teams a little longer than just a single, 2-3min round.

Search, find game, play round 1, switch sides, play round 2, play round 3 (if tied 1-1), game over.

Stupid simple: More game, less wait.

#9 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

View PostThe Flying Gecko, on 13 May 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Okay so, the title is a bit of a misnomer, I didn't 'quit' so much as 'don't play very often'. But 'Why I Quit' is more click-baity Posted Image

There's just too much down-time. I started recording my game sessions and watching them over I wasn't really that surprised to find I spend about 50% of my time playing, and 50% of my time searching/loading. I haven't really analysed the downtime for CW (errr 'faction play' now?) but I reckon it's even worse, and the match-making is so abysmal that I rarely bother. The latest CW event was the only one I didn't really participate in, I played a couple of games but even with the event on, the wait times are too long, and the calibre of player is even lower. Basically, now, the only time I play Mechwarrior Online is when I have something else I need to do. When I do the dishes, I'll start searching for a match, go do a bunch, wait until I can hear the drop ship engines then do a couple more (I don't think I've ever played in a non-competitive/non-clan-scrim where everyone hit 'Ready') before coming back to the PC. But when I sit down with the intention to play a game, MWO is very low on the list.

PC's in the kitchen I guess ?

Sorry but there are so many levels of exaggeration in your opening post, outside of FW most i've ever managed was to get a pair of socks from the next room, but I can do that with all games of this type.

If down time, waiting for matches to develop is putting you off, I'm guessing anything from Gaming.net is out, as is War thunder, and Armored warfare or pretty much any PvP arena game, as they have similar wait time or worse

#10 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

Can I have your crates?

#11 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 13 May 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

Can I have your crates?

Only the Hero crates....

because camo is overrated :P

#12 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 13 May 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

Only the Hero crates....

because camo is overrated :P

Good point. I only want the purple crates please. :)

#13 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 13 May 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

Good point. I only want the purple crates please. Posted Image

I thought the golden crates were the best. They got lightening coming from them when you open them!

#14 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:35 AM

I still play when I do the dishes, or clean my room, or whatever, so no, you can't have my stuff.

View PostCathy, on 13 May 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

PC's in the kitchen I guess ?

Sorry but there are so many levels of exaggeration in your opening post, outside of FW most i've ever managed was to get a pair of socks from the next room, but I can do that with all games of this type.

If down time, waiting for matches to develop is putting you off, I'm guessing anything from Gaming.net is out, as is War thunder, and Armored warfare or pretty much any PvP arena game, as they have similar wait time or worse

Uhhh, nope. Played two games today, almost finished the dishes Posted Image
I live in a small bachelor apartment. There are only 3 rooms. My PC is in the bedroom. I haven't played any of those games, but even if their wait times are the same, do the matches take ~5 minutes?

I'll give you exact times from one of said videos in question:

Total Video Length: 24:26 (the last minute is the score-board and loading back to mechlab)
1st Game: 5:40-11:36
2nd Game: 18:55-23:35
Total Game Time: 5.56 + 5.57 = 11 mins, 53 seconds
Total Wait Time: 12 Mins, 34 Seconds
In all fairness I probably spend close to 3 minutes or so in the beginning texting my mom, and some time chatting in between game 1 and 2. So if I was on the ball there would be slightly less than 50% of the game as down-time. But what... 33-40%?

Still too much wait-time unless I've got something else I need to do while I wait, or read a book or something. It's a snooze-fest.

Edited by The Flying Gecko, 13 May 2016 - 11:47 AM.

#15 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:59 AM

View PostThe Flying Gecko, on 13 May 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

It's a snooze-fest.

Which region do you play from? If you have only one server ticked, especially Oceanic, then long wait time happens quite often.

#16 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 May 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

Which region do you play from? If you have only one server ticked, especially Oceanic, then long wait time happens quite often.

North American.

I used to have N.A. as well as Europe, but nowadays rather have more downtime for cleaning than matches with several hundred ping, and just switch games when I'm not multi-tasking.

#17 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

View PostAresye, on 13 May 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

That's why I've suggested multiple times in the past to at least create a "multi-round" style system.

The MM spends so much time looking for balanced teams, you'd figure it would at least try and keep those teams a little longer than just a single, 2-3min round.

Search, find game, play round 1, switch sides, play round 2, play round 3 (if tied 1-1), game over.

Stupid simple: More game, less wait.

If I am having to carry PUGs against a 4-8 man of Tier 1 comp players, I would at least like to see some variety in the lineup...as it stands, Tier 1 matches are either glorious and fun, or pitifully unbalanced. Obviously...the former is better...but some nights you just get saddled with potatoes and the MM expects you to make corned beef hash with no beef.

#18 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

Acquire Stellaris.

Begin playing.

Realize it's 6AM...

#19 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

I have longer wait times in LoL, which has 27 million daily players, than I do here.

#20 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

So you like the game, but you are disappointed with the population?

Mechwarrior is a fun franchise. I wonder why there aren't more people involved....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users