#41 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:46 PM

View PostThe Flying Gecko, on 13 May 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

There's just too much down-time. I started recording my game sessions and watching them over I wasn't really that surprised to find I spend about 50% of my time playing, and 50% of my time searching/loading.

I think this is one of the reasons I haven't played in weeks.
You login - wait....
You change your mech loadout - wait...
You hit search - wait...
You finish a game - wait...

Every time I have to wait I alt-tab and do something else, and now it feels like launching MWO is just far too much effort and I should just do the other thing. Right now that something else is new DOOM which is super fun, and then that thing will be Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, then probably Dark Souls 3 once the price comes down. The new crate thing has turned me off even more and I honestly can't see myself coming back to MWO for a good while yet. More maps and improved modes could help, so maybe the new Assault could bring me back. If it's anything like the new Domination however.... eh...

Edited by Troutmonkey, 15 May 2016 - 04:49 PM.

#42 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:39 PM

Okay so, the title is a bit of a misnomer, I didn't 'quit' so much as 'don't play very often'. But 'Why I Quit' is more click-baity Posted Image

There's just too much down-time. I started recording my game sessions and watching them over I wasn't really that surprised to find I spend about 50% of my time playing, and 50% of my time searching/loading. I haven't really analysed the downtime for CW (errr 'faction play' now?) but I reckon it's even worse, and the match-making is so abysmal that I rarely bother. The latest CW event was the only one I didn't really participate in, I played a couple of games but even with the event on, the wait times are too long, and the calibre of player is even lower. Basically, now, the only time I play Mechwarrior Online is when I have something else I need to do. When I do the dishes, I'll start searching for a match, go do a bunch, wait until I can hear the drop ship engines then do a couple more (I don't think I've ever played in a non-competitive/non-clan-scrim where everyone hit 'Ready') before coming back to the PC. But when I sit down with the intention to play a game, MWO is very low on the list.

You can do dishes while waiting for a match?

That seems like a crazy long time to me. My wait times are never more than a minute or two.

Are you queing for QP or Group?

Although MWO has fallen pretty far on my list also.

I came back after months because I had been waiting for Phase 3 and the new separate ques. Had fun for a week before they merged them.

Played Quick Play for a week and then stopped playing again. Today was my first day playing since, and I only did a few matches before I logged off out of boredom and disappointment.

The Forums seem more interesting to me than the game does these days.

Lately Ive been playing Eve but Im in the market for a new game. I dont mind paying a sub as long as its a good game.

Edited by JaxRiot, 15 May 2016 - 06:45 PM.

#43 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

View PostJaxRiot, on 15 May 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

That seems like a crazy long time to me. My wait times are never more than a minute or two.

Are you queing for QP or Group?

Although MWO has fallen pretty far on my list also.

I came back after months because I had been waiting for Phase 3 and the new separate ques. Had fun for a week before they merged them.

Played Quick Play for a week and then stopped playing again. Today was my first day playing since, and I only did a few matches before I logged off out of boredom and disappointment.

The Forums seem more interesting to me than the game does these days.

Lately Ive been playing Eve but Im in the market for a new game. I dont mind paying a sub as long as its a good game.

I think he is saying he is one of those guys that drops afk all the time and doesn't want repair and rearm back in the game. He can say he didn't hide the fact and even told everyone on the forums about it. :)

About sub games, you will basically be playing alone. The market is so saturated it just wont happen. Its the biggest challenge this game faces of course. Trying to build a next gen game in this market is no easy task I imagine for a established Studio let alone a newer studio.

Edited by Johnny Z, 15 May 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#44 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 15 May 2016 - 07:50 PM, said:

I think he is saying he is one of those guys that drops afk all the time and doesn't want repair and rearm back in the game. He can say he didn't hide the fact and even told everyone on the forums about it. Posted Image

About sub games, you will basically be playing alone. The market is so saturated it just wont happen. Its the biggest challenge this game faces of course. Trying to build a next gen game in this market is no easy task I imagine for a established Studio let alone a newer studio.

View PostJaxRiot, on 15 May 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

No, I am not one of said AFK people. I have plenty of time to do a couple dishes, or fold some laundry, or whatever, and get back to my PC once I hear the drop-ship engines kick in. In fact, I report (and encourage other people too) the people who do go AFK like that because they wind up wasting even MORE of my time than the loading screens and searching times already do.

Repair and re-arm... well I don't really care about that at all, but it seems to me like it would make things pretty rough on new players and people who aren't all that good. It's one thing to reward players for doing well, but I think penalizing them for 'playing poorly' (in other words, getting screwed by the matchmaker, being on the receiving end of repeated one-sided stomps even though you had top damage every game) would lower the population of the low-tier/casual-players/cannon-fodder... match-making would probably take longer, but less atrociously terrible pilots in the field... I hate the wait times as-is, but the sheer incompetence of a large amount of the player base also annoys me to no end. Damned it you do, damned if you don't.

Edited by The Flying Gecko, 16 June 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#45 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

#46 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:43 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 May 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Solo-Q wait times are pretty short. Especially in a non-Heavy mech.

I must admit though, the save mech loadout wait time is maddening. How the hell does it take that long?

You are back on-online !!! I hope all is well with you and yours ! It's taking a while because there are so few people and, I'm not sure PGI is doing anything with this game anymore.....

#47 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

thats been my biggest issue with the game too much wait not enough game.

it was somewhat tolerable before as the game used to have the population to get drops in a couple minutes in qp, but lately wait times have been north of 5 minutes, a couple times it took 10 minutes to drop as a light in qp with all servers enabled. before pgi ruined fp you used to be able to within 10 minutes, which is fine as the game lasted 20-30 minutes sometimes. but nowadays i run the game along side some low performance sp game (like ftl) to give me something to do while i wait. and sometimes that game just takes over you simply stop searching for mwo matches.

i know a lot of people dont like respawn modes, but this game really needs some continuously running modes where you can join/leave at will. no waiting, loading only when the map changes. it would support better modes but it could just be skirmish. game is better than not game. this should at least be doable through custom games.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 September 2019 - 06:10 PM.

#48 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:11 PM

I spend about 50% of my time playing, and 50% of my time searching/loading.

That much play time...?! You lucky lucky *******.

One night last week I sat in a FP queue with a 12-man for 1 hour and 45 minutes and didn't get a single match.

Well done PGI! I'm sure you're proud of where all your care attention and expertise has taken your sole product.

Edited by Appogee, 07 September 2019 - 06:14 PM.

#49 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:18 PM

this thread is so relevant to our current situation i didnt even notice that its 2 years old.

#50 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:51 PM

View PostAsym, on 07 September 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

You are back on-online !!! I hope all is well with you and yours ! It's taking a while because there are so few people and, I'm not sure PGI is doing anything with this game anymore.....

You might want to check the date on the post you are quoting.

#51 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:12 PM

How do ppl even find these threads.... there area like gazillion pages of newer threads over these. Or why would you even read these ancient texts...

#52 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:31 PM

View PostCurccu, on 07 September 2019 - 11:12 PM, said:

How do ppl even find these threads.... there area like gazillion pages of newer threads over these. Or why would you even read these ancient texts...

Nah it's just his usual toxic behaviour trying to take a kick at the community and player base. Carry over from another thread, the guy seems genuinely thrilled the game is nearing it's end.

I find it kind of bizarre though since the game has had quite a long run, and it's not even quite over yet. Years of fun for a lot of us, but everything eventually has an end.

What he's doing though is almost like hanging around palliative care unit and sweeping in while people are on their death bed to tell them 'I told you so, I knew you were going to die'.

#53 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:11 AM

View PostCurccu, on 07 September 2019 - 11:12 PM, said:

yea if you are going more than 3 pages deep on a forum, you are wasting your life. i limit myself to the stuff on the first page. and still my post count gets away from me.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 September 2019 - 01:12 AM.

#54 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:16 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 08 September 2019 - 01:11 AM, said:

yea if you are going more than 3 pages deep on a forum, you are wasting your life. i limit myself to the stuff on the first page. and still my post count gets away from me.

I absolutely get why you do that. Myself, I have a tendency to read through a whole thread, not always of coarse, but a good deal of the time. Often if anything it is good for comic relief while that wheel is spinning. Oh and thank you for being out there tonight giving me something to shoot at. Maybe one time matchmaker will put us on the same team.

#55 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:48 AM

View PostFeral Clown, on 08 September 2019 - 01:16 AM, said:

I absolutely get why you do that. Myself, I have a tendency to read through a whole thread, not always of coarse, but a good deal of the time. Often if anything it is good for comic relief while that wheel is spinning. Oh and thank you for being out there tonight giving me something to shoot at. Maybe one time matchmaker will put us on the same team.

yea i really was going to sit this event out. but then i decided i want another 300 mc for the next hero sale (i probably have enough for a light or light medium right now, a medium proper would be better). it just happened that this was the hardest part of the event to grind for and i won all the other prizes already. i was rather disappointed to see fp completely dead though. not that grinding match score in fp is something i enjoy doing given the much lower drop rate and the not significantly higher match scores because of the divide down rule.

#56 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

View PostAppogee, on 07 September 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

That much play time...?! You lucky lucky *******.

One night last week I sat in a FP queue with a 12-man for 1 hour and 45 minutes and didn't get a single match.

Well done PGI! I'm sure you're proud of where all your care attention and expertise has taken your sole product.

My friend and I installed the game for the first time in a few years to see what's changed. In 4 hours we played 3 games.

No, that's not an exaggeration. Granted, maybe an hour of that was spent figuring out the skill system and new weapons, but holy hell did it take FOREVER to find a match. We tried swapping mech classes and relaunching but nothing worked. It feels like MWO is dead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users