Why Are So Many Complaining About "op Kodiak"?

579 replies to this topic

#1 Star Commander Kreig

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

Yes, they don't suck as much as other 100t mechs in a lot of ways, but they are far from overpowering on the battlefield. I've yet to see a match that the last 10 mech standing, 5 per side, are Kodiaks. Sure there are 3 or 4, but when you start with 8-12 in the match, statistically you SHOULD have 4+ in the final stages of a fight.

I've heard people complan about PGI catering to the Pay to Win crowd as far as drops. I'm not saying you are wrong, but if PGI doesn't cater a little to those that ACTUALLY PAY TO KEEP THE GAME RUNNING, they aren't very smart. Sure, keep playing for free, nothing wrong with that. Just use your head a little... if it weren't for those that spend a little cash occasionally, YOU wouldn't have a game to play.

When complaining about the masses of bears each drop, keep in mind that there is a contest starting tomorrow, 3 days after the Kodiak drop. Those who DO have Kodiaks will be competing against each other, and are desparately trying to max out their favorite variant for the weekends festivities. It would kinda suck to buy a mech that was to be featured in an upcoming contest, and not get to practice with it/level it.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

Because they are unskilled.

No really, there's no other explanation. Kodiaks are not even close to OP.

#3 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 19 May 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

When people can't understand something, and it frustrates them, they complain, simple as that.

Like for example the PTS Info warefare. no one understood what was going on, that it was a test, rather than a actual patch.

#4 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:19 PM

I'd agree...they can hold their own but not even close to making any other assault obsolete lol.

#5 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

There really aren't many saying it's OP. It's the same 5 people just all over the place

#6 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

Because the other assault mechs they piloted before were amazingly crap.

I thought the Kodiak was OP too, till I realised from my stats, that its not much better than the average heavy mech I pilot.

Mechs like king crabs and dires are terrible at the current state. slow-moving CT pillboxes that will be easily insta-gibbed if you over-extend, and with the agility of a dead sloth. The Kodiak is what all assaults should be like, relatively slow, but with sufficient agility.

#7 Star Commander Kreig

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:29 PM

I was just having a "after death" conversation after being CT cored (again)... someone piped in "TRY TWISTING". Yeah, these things move faster than a typical 100t, but not fast enough to snap a burst and hide your CT again.

CT is pretty funnel like.... hopefully it gets fixed.

I think most are just sick of seeing 6-8 assaults per side in nearly ever match. I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in my lifespan (mid tier 3 player) when using a mediumin these matches. I guess some people just like to complain.

#8 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:33 PM

View PostKBurn85, on 19 May 2016 - 07:28 PM, said:

Because the other assault mechs they piloted before were amazingly crap.

I thought the Kodiak was OP too, till I realised from my stats, that its not much better than the average heavy mech I pilot.

Mechs like king crabs and dires are terrible at the current state. slow-moving CT pillboxes that will be easily insta-gibbed if you over-extend, and with the agility of a dead sloth. The Kodiak is what all assaults should be like, relatively slow, but with sufficient agility.

Everything that overextends gets insta-gibbed.

KDK is not OP or I would have the same KDR and W/L as my DWF W does but I don't and it hasn't elited but assaults as my go to class and I can rip people apart in a DWF faster than a KDK

#9 zaku2142

• PipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

It is not OP, they just do not want Clans to have any 'decent' assault, bloody fanatical IS crying nerfherders nufsed

Edited by zaku2142, 19 May 2016 - 08:02 PM.

#10 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

To be clear... The Kodiak is an apex predator. That said, IMHO... It's not OP.

I think the absolute deluge of them on the battlefield is creating a weird "perfect storm" where their combined firepower just overwhelms.

The Kodiak will eventually settle in just like the Marauder did... Just like the Dire Wolf did... and any other new shiny PGI gives us.

Having said that... I've found the best way to deal with them is to engage at range but not before someone else has softened them up. Posted Image

#11 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:16 PM

View Postzaku2142, on 19 May 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

It is not OP, they just do not want Clans to have anything 'decent' assault, bloody fanatical IS crying nerfherders nufsed

FTFY.

Beware of the decades-old anti-Clan Crusade! This geriatric army is very real.

Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 19 May 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#12 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:20 PM

Kodiaks are good but not OP like some mechs have been in the past. And after two or three weeks we will see a lot less of them.

#13 zaku2142

• PipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

View PostMystere, on 19 May 2016 - 08:16 PM, said:

FTFY.

Beware of the decades-old anti-Clan Crusade! This geriatric army is very real.

Posted Image

#14 Maugged

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:30 PM

I don't own a kodiak but from observing other players in my team i can say...
_it's slow as flute. So slow that it's always lagging in the back even if we're not moving. Actually so slow that when it usually reaches the frontline the rest of the team is already gone.
_It's incredibily hard to play, i rarely see kodiak users score anything decent.

Certainly not OP. More like Underpowered as flute. Should get a massive stat boost so they can become usefull in battles...

#15 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

Kodiaks are not easy mode. I stopped playing my DW b/c a lot of times it wasn't even much fun to put out massive damage every match. The DW was much more OP when Wave 1 dropped with pre-nerf clan weapons. Certain King Crab or Fatlas builds are just as devastating. The one benefit the Kodiak does have is its awesome weapon mount heights. I have to work in the KDK1 and KDK2 to match the ballistic boat KDK3. A good atlas pilot with an SRM/AC brawl build is an equal matchup in a brawl.

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 19 May 2016 - 08:57 PM.

#16 the punk who stole your thunder

• PipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:33 AM

View Postzaku2142, on 19 May 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

It is not OP, they just do not want Clans to have any 'decent' assault, bloody fanatical IS crying nerfherders nufsed

It is well established that just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

#17 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:34 AM

Because theyre used to 100T mechs sucking donkey balls

and now that we finally have a 100T mech that doesnt suck theyre crying about it

#18 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:37 AM

We have a serious case of new mech syndrome or more commonly known as Mech Shock,

#19 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:34 AM

"The lady doth protest to much, methinks."
The Queen from Hamlet, act 3, scene 2.

So would one of the countless folks who claim the Kodiak is OP please materialize and explain to us WHY the thing is supposedly OP and needs a nerf?

I mean where are all these posts complaining about this mech being so all powerful? Sure there are a few posts where folks have made blind assertions that it is tough, etc., but I have yet to see a rational discussion, and certainly not a single video illustrating the OP nature of this mech. The best "evidence" that I have seen that the Kodiak is better than most ("OP"?) is Gman129 listing it as the sole tier 1 clan assault mech on metamechs. Even if you agree with Gman, does that make the Kodiak OP? Not necessarily. I think it shows the opposite: that the Kodiak is really good mech, kind of like the Timberwolf, probably just the most balanced mech for its role. The best? Perhaps. OP? I don't think so.

Still though, all this false flag hand waving about all the noobs complaining about how OP the Kodiak is is fascinating to observe. Its like some of you guys are just itching to have it be nerfed for some odd masochistic self-fulfilling prophesy need.
Entertaining at least.

#20 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:48 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 19 May 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

No fully true. Play a light mech and try to stay in their back. It is crazy how fast they turn and I bet most of them are not even mastered.

However, as I said before, this is a general problem of MWO: Heavies and Assaults (in most cases) turn too fast

Else...dunno...I have non and it doesn't seem too extreme. Maybe I am wrong /shrug

Edited by Bush Hopper, 20 May 2016 - 04:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users