Time Has Come For A Subscription Option

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Subscription model option (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be willing pay a monthly subscription fee to have all in games purchase available for C-Bills

1. Yes (10 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. No (12 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

How much would you be willing to pay for such a model?

1. <5$/month (13 votes [56.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

2. 5-10$/month (7 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. >10$/month (3 votes [13.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 PickleKing

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Now that our player base is large enough, I believe it's time for PGI to offer a monthly subscription option along with the F2P and (not so) micro transaction model that we have today.

I would be happy to pay a 5 to 10$ monthly subscription fee in exchange of having everything in game be available for C-Bills. (when the subscription expires any item that would have had to be bought with MC's would get locked)

This model would exist in parallel with the current F2P model so would not be a hindrance to new players entrance.

The point of this would be to uncouple PGI's cash flow from the release of new mechs. Let's face it, new mechs do not equate to content and do not improve the game or make it more compelling. Especially when there are so many variants that any mech can be configured to suit almost any preferred play style (My lore bone hurts any time I see a hunchy boat LRM's).

At this point it feels that if new mechs are not released on a regular basis then PGI will run out of money and go belly up. All the resources dedicated to creating new mech could be better used to improve game play and immerse us in the BT universe in a more compelling way.

I would much rather see PGI concentrate on providing us with new features such as Solaris, improved scanner mechanics, compelling faction warfare... anything but new mechs and new cockpit items. We have enough of those.

I have never paid a cent to play this game which makes me feel bad because I enjoy it so much and think PGI should be rewarded for their efforts. Sadly I can't bring myself to pay the price of a triple A game for a single mech model that essentially plays the same as every other mech in my garage (There are only so many weapon types available after all).

I am sure that a large portion of the player base is in the same situation as me. Wouldn't it make sense to tap into this pool of potential customers?

PGI has made a great death match arena game, but it could be so much more. I will pay good money if I know that my subscription fee is used to build new features that make my experience more immersive and persistent.

I don't know PGI's cashflow situation and maybe I'm wrong but unless something changes I will continue to free load on their hard work. MWO deserves better.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

#2 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts
  • LocationEating your cake while you're not looking.

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

View PostPickleKing, on 21 May 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

I would be happy to pay a 5 to 10$ monthly subscription fee in exchange of having everything in game be available for C-Bills. (when the subscription expires any item that would have had to be bought with MC's would get locked)

So wouldn't that mean that once you bought a subscription there's no going back? I'd be fine with having a minimum of 6 month subscriptions, and then not locking your bought items.

#3 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostGLaDOSauR, on 21 May 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

So wouldn't that mean that once you bought a subscription there's no going back? I'd be fine with having a minimum of 6 month subscriptions, and then not locking your bought items.

He did mention it could expire.

+1 I've suggested the same thing before

#4 Pinscher

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

The trend has been so far, free to play means poor quality game. Or otherwise stated Minimal Viable Product. Games live or die for various reasons, do not get me wrong. Usually because of developers who do as they please and not whats best for the game.

there have been successful sub games in the past. The ones that fail are the ones who strive for MVP(Vanguard). The gaming industry used to make money on providing content,challenge, and replay ability. This no longer exists because of corporate dictates. Time and money, inseperable, are the dictates that destroy games. Corporate dictates are by default MVP. Content has gone away. Challenge got evaporated because of casual QQ. Replayabilty by default goes away when the first two are lost. The video game industry has has become exactly like the manufacturing sector. Buy, use, discard, buy.

I played EQ for several years. The 9-12 bucks a month spent was a worth while entertainment expense. I can walk into a bar and spend 9-12 bucks in about 5 minutes. Or spend 9-12 bucks at the theater and that money is used in 2-3 hours.

the sub model does work. However it does not work in an MVP environment. A MVP evironment will not get you subscriptions. PGI will have to start doing thing they do not want to do to start to polish, tune and expand the game to support a monthly income.

There even may be some legal ramifications inherent to switching to sub model. In other words, you now need to pay $10 a month to use the $1000 worth of mechs you have already purchased.

If a sub model mechwarrior is desired. There should really be nothing stopping PGI from starting a second server where it start from the beginning with a sub model and absolutely no cash options. Note same game not new game. This way they can churn out new content on the sub server, get it tested, and get it balanced. Then release it to the cash server as they do now. or vice versa.

#5 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

A monthly subscription for early access to content is ridiculous, and it is what I feel premium time is currently anyway. I and many others can wait a couple of months for a mech to be released before purchasing it with CBILLS. This is actually a good thing in most cases because you get to see if the mech as implemented is worth buying (i.e. hit boxes, quirks (finalized???)). I have bought mech packs etc. in the past, but ultimately end up disappointed with a majority of the new mechs released and only one variant(Prime) or the hero produces CBILL bonuses (my other complaint). If all real currency purchased variants had CBILL bonuses, I would buy a lot more mechs up front just to reduce the grind for future mech bay expansion. For reference I enjoy MWO, but feel it has a few shortcomings.

"New features" will come. I just check the patch notes from time to time to see if anything compelling has been added to the game to make it worth more of my time and money. As with any game/activity/hobby... don't fall victim to commitment bias https://en.wikipedia...n_of_commitment. A subscription with penalties for stopping your subscription, like not being allowed to access the content you unlocked, would just further lock in people who should go play something else until PGI/MWO produces a game they want to play.

Edited by BAHS, 22 May 2016 - 10:15 AM.

#6 The Wolfpack75

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 57 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

I would love to pay $10 a month for this game, but I'd want it to mean I've always got premium time. I don't care if mechs are locked behind an MC wall. They could shorten it for those who are subscribers if that is a must for some people (say subscribers get a mech unlocked one month earlier?).
I'd also like to see subscribers receive quarterly reward packs (say a supply cache worth of items or keys to supply caches).
I've subscribed to a lot of MMORPG's in my years and I don't return to them like I do MWO, I'd like to back the game in a more regular method than an occasional mech (Kodiaks were a must) and even rarer premium time purchase.
If there was any other way I could back the game and PGI besides tweeting about the game I'd do it. I know a few people who share that sentiment.

And I have to add, I agree with BAHS. If the penalty for your subscription lapsing is not being able to use your mechs a lot of people would leave instead of playing the limited number of mechs they would have available.
There is an MMORPG that I've played that has that approach and I just can't play it f2p because the penalty for not paying is too harsh (not sure if I should be naming other games so I'm not going to "out" it).

=D

Edited by The Wolfpack75, 22 May 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#7 Adaram1090

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

Like BAHS and The Wolfpack75 said, penalizing a person for letting their subscription lapse by locking content they unlocked when they had a subscription will drive people away. Once people realize they HAVE to keep their subscriptions if they want to keep accessing their content won't encourage them to decide to get subscriptions. This model might have worked when MWO started but now, it wouldn't. Personally I don't play MWO consistently enough to warrant me getting a subscription; I play in spurts every few months for a couple of weeks and then give it up.

That said, if I were to go for a subscription I'd want more than just being able to access content for only C-bills. Premium time sounds good but I'd probably need more. Don't know what that more would be but it would have to be something.

#8 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

View PostAdaram1090, on 22 May 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

Like BAHS and The Wolfpack75 said, penalizing a person for letting their subscription lapse by locking content they unlocked when they had a subscription will drive people away. Once people realize they HAVE to keep their subscriptions if they want to keep accessing their content won't encourage them to decide to get subscriptions. This model might have worked when MWO started but now, it wouldn't. Personally I don't play MWO consistently enough to warrant me getting a subscription; I play in spurts every few months for a couple of weeks and then give it up.

That said, if I were to go for a subscription I'd want more than just being able to access content for only C-bills. Premium time sounds good but I'd probably need more. Don't know what that more would be but it would have to be something.

I was thinking Premium time, Mech bays for Cbills/discounted price, Camo & colors for Cbills/discounted price, purchase mech pack for discounted price OR extra content in packs available only to subscribers.

There could also be an exclusive subscriber's store.

All purchases would be permanent unless refunded. I.E. just because your subscription expires doesn't mean your stuff gets locked up. Once you bought it, it's yours.

I think having large discounts is the way to go with this.

#9 PickleKing

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

To be honest I'm not to bothered about how the sub model works as long as it frees up PGI to work on real content instead of New mechs and trinkets.

In fact if there is another solution that solves the problem I'd love to hear it.

#10 Hardrian

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:13 AM

I would like to have this option as well. Maybe they can have a Free to Play option and subscription option?

EDIT: I'm willing to pay 15 bucks a month.

Edited by Sajbear, 11 December 2016 - 04:15 AM.

#11 Jericho Jones

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

The Time has not come for a subscription option. the time will never come for a subscription option. Subscription option is a slipery slope leading directly to a 'pay to win' system.

Not while I'm breathing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users