The "d,e And F's" Of Mech Combat - What The Tutorial Won't Teach You!

2 replies to this topic

#1 DeathEagle

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:20 PM

So you did the tutorial, got your extra 4.5 mil C-Bills, and feel pretty good huh? Ready to head out there and turn some poor bugga's mech into a pile of smouldering scrap? Think you can?

No.

No wait....I know what you're gonna say. Just, no.

Unlike it's predecessors, MWO is a team based game. You will never walk away from a 1-1 fight with just a few bump n bruises. Hell, you'll be lucky to get away at all. I've seen light mechs try 1-1 an Assault, only to get legged in 1 volley.

Here's how to win:-

1. Fight YOUR fight : Don't play your mech a way It shouldn't be played. Obviously if you're in a light mech, keep moving, scout up for friendies, and do a bit of harassing. If you go chargn up the centre line in a Commando - you will die spectacularly fast. Intrinsically, don't expect to last too long if you're in an Assault and don't have anyone closely supporting you. A good light mech pilot will easy flank you and just tear open your rear armor without you ever seeing them.

2. Leaders win battles - 12 ace mech pilots who are all in it for themselves will NEVER win against 12 average pilots with an ace leader. They will coordinate, maneuver, bait, flank and focus fire and bring you guys down down to Chinatown , piece by piece. In my experience, having a Company Commander in the fight makes a huge difference. Listen to him and follow the orders. Bad orders are usually pretty obvious to see and pick out so if you think he's going to lead you to a quick, unnecessary death, then don't follow the order.

3. Know your foe - Often i'll see an enemy mech that's been legged, and people are just blasting away at its torso which has most of its armor still there. They might see a King Crab, which will be rocking 2 AC20's - and they'll charge right up to it and start firing at it point blank range with PPC's! If your weapons outrange the enemy - than shoot em at range. Target your enemy mech, assess their strengths and weaknesses vs yours, than fight appropriately.

#2 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

^^THIS, SO MUCH THIS!!!

On point #2, trying to get a group organized (especially in the solo queue) can be a lot of work. If someone is trying to call a drop, try to give them the benefit of the doubt. If the person calling shots is a lousy commander, at least they are willing to put in the effort to try and herd everyone together. I've seen plenty of times were even having a group coordinated around a bad plan is still better than not having any coordination for the group at all.

#3 Mystek

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts
  • LocationTending the homestead on Thule

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

As I have done more and more drops, I am noticing that quite a few people want to coordinate but without anyone willing to step up and suggest any plan, they try to muddle along as best they can. Of course, there will always be those who want to do things themselves and run off to die. However, in my experiences, most everyone wants to win and are willing (if not always able) to work together, even loosely. The few times that teams I have been on are teetering between stomping or being stomped, I will type something quick into chat and usually get a few responders. Those who did not catch the message still often see the team moving or pushing or whatever and join if they are not currently engaged and we can usually turn a push or save a wipe. It might not win the match, but even brief communication can make for a closer, and generally more enjoyable, game than one where everyone pilots their mech in a bubble.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users