Remove Map/mode Voting?

11 replies to this topic

Poll: Remove Map/mode Voting? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the map/mode voting system?

1. I like it, and it should stay basically the same. (15 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. I like it, but I think it needs an overhaul. (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. I don't like it, and it should be replaced with something else. (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. I don't like it, and it should just be removed entirely. (9 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

Just curious how everyone else feels about the map voting.

I don't want to skew the results with my own bias on the matter, but I do want to justify my view on it:
  • I don't think it adds anything positive to the game at all.
  • It ensures that only the most "popular" (ie, cold) maps get played, and the more obscure (and interesting ones) rarely do.
  • It makes it easier to use min-maxed, inflexible builds.
I think it should be removed entirely and be completely random, because:
  • There would be much more variety in maps and game modes.
  • People would need to have a little flexibility in their builds.
  • Nobody could manipulate or game the system, because there wouldn't be one.

What do you think?

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:58 AM

Well while i would like to have it 100% random - we had it once and the "meh Conquest" derps cried the loudest.

so I think the voting system has to change.
  • save the votes - you can't vote the same map you want only 1 out of 5 times
  • combine maps with game modes (6 options instead of 4 maps and 2 modes)

#3 The Wolfpack75

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 57 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

I think they should have a more simplified voting system, don't give us 4 options for maps. And tie the modes to the maps.

So you get 3 options:

The previous map and mode:
Skirmish on Terra Therma
A new map and mode:
Conquest on Frozen City
And then a random unknown map

You can only play the same map and mode twice in a row (so people can play Skirmish on Terra Therma twice in a row), then the third time you have to choose between two new maps and modes or Random.

Domination on HPG Manifold
Assault on Polar Highlands
Random

You will end up with situations where some people hate a game type (Domination) regardless of the map and will vote for any map/mode combo that doesn't include it.
And, of course the opposite situation where someone hates a map (Terra Therma) and will vote for anything that doesn't include Terra Therma. Also since the map and mode are randomly mixed together a situation where the following choices occur would be possible.

Skirmish on Terra Therma
Conquest on Terra Therma
Random

Or

Skirmish on Terra Therma
Skirmish on Frozen City
Random

Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

#4 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

Starting to look like I'm in the minority then Posted Image

Well, if it can't be 100% random, there are some tweaks that would minimize the detrimental effects it has:

View PostKarl Streiger, on 26 May 2016 - 02:58 AM, said:

• save the votes - you can't vote the same map you want only 1 out of 5 times
  • combine maps with game modes (6 options instead of 4 maps and 2 modes)

View PostThe Wolfpack75, on 26 May 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

I think they should have a more simplified voting system, don't give us 4 options for maps. And tie the modes to the maps.

You can only play the same map and mode twice in a row (so people can play Skirmish on Terra Therma twice in a row), then the third time you have to choose between two new maps and modes or Random.

Those are some interesting suggestions... I don't think it's really practical to track each person's previous votes or which map they played last, that would cause havoc with the match making.
But I agree with the gist of it.

So maybe either:
  • Reduce the number of map options to 2, add a third option for 'Random" (which assigns a random map from the entire pool), and have the mode be totally random (and displayed on the selection screen).
  • Or have 3 map options (plus a random option), and each map option is associated to a random game mode.
  • Either way you could work in an algorithm that makes maps less and less likely to appear the more they get voted for.
And as a side note, I don't hate fun. I can see where someone might get that idea. Posted Image
I just think that the most interesting maps are the ones that present you with challenges to overcome, which require you to alter your strategies and adapt.
A little chaos here and there keeps life interesting.

If this were real, you wouldn't have control over your battle theater. You would need to fight in crap holes that nobody likes, on planets where nobody wants to be, for reasons nobody understands.
You couldn't just fight every battle at the north pole because your mech build is really heat inefficient...

Edited by Elendil, 26 May 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#5 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:35 AM

No

#6 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

View PostKurbeks, on 26 May 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

No

Why

#7 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

If ever we get another competition like Territorial Control wherein you need to score points on each specific map, this sort of voting system may encourage sabotaging fellow players who vote against the last maps you need to finish the challenge.

I say get rid of voting entirely, and bring back the game type filter; I see no reason for that to have been changed in the first place.

#8 CARLTHELLAMA

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

Totally random might not be so bad if you were then allowed another 30 seconds to pick which of your mechs to drive on that map. That way people don't have to get stuck driving their laser whales on Terra Therma for example. Plus, that would be more realistic, since what mechwarrior would not tailor their mech to the planet that they are going to drop on?

Edited by CARLTHELLAMA, 03 June 2016 - 07:44 AM.

#9 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:03 AM

Who's deciding the mission, the people paying you Cbills. We're supposed to be military units, aka following orders, as if you get to chose what hellhole you're thrown into. It would also save time with drops that are wasted giving people a vote, who then chose mostly the same maps over and over anyhow, not that there's much to chose from as it is.

I'd love to be able to 'not' do certain maps after a while of playing them match after match, though I'll take random if I can't have that.

#10 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

I think the voting system is fine as is. The tweaks I would like to though:

Replace one of the map options with Random.
Add 'Vote Decay' where your vote multiplier reduces by 1 if you abstain from voting.

IF we were going down the road of map+mode options there should be 3 map+modes and 1 random mode to chose from.

#11 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:27 AM

This is a difficult topic to adress.
One hand you want people to build mechs that have their strong vices and some weaknesses.
On the other hand there are maps that people enjoy... and maps that they utterly despise.

For example map list I try to avoid : Alpine Peaks, Terra Therma, Polar Highlands. Caustic Valley,
Most Favourite maps : HPG, Minning Colony, Frozen City, Viridian Bog, Forest Colony, River City

But thats just me. If I had an option I would remove mentioned maps from the cycle and only select those that I enjoy.
Part of the problem is the fact that for example Terra Therma has this stupid circle arena in the middle ... this needs to be reworked/thought through one more time - maybe instead of a small arena make it one big arena with connected cricles that overshadow one another on different levels of height, connected to each other with walkways, instead of one small circle with choke points that favour faster mechs that can set a defensive line.

#12 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:48 AM

I like the way we use to have it where the map was totally random and we could opt out of 2 or so of the game modes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users