The Super Long Tom

42 replies to this topic

#1 Ruslan Savelyev

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

So the Long Tom is one shotting 'Mechs from 100% today. It looks like it is doing about 50 damage to every hit location.

It blew off both arms, orange internal of both legs, headshot, and destroyed all rear armor and structure of each torso on a previously 100% 50t 'Mech. 1 hit.

Headshot and all rear armor plus structure destroyed in every torso of a KGC before the first enemy 'Mech popped up on the HUD. 1 hit.

#2 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

It's part of what makes FW great.

Motivates you to keep playing.... right?

#3 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

I think it is fun. Scout better.

#4 Tanil Kane

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 26 May 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

It's not the long tom itself that is the issue. It is that the recent hotfix looks like it reverted the long tom damage to its original state and not its tuned damage numbers.

#5 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostTanil Kane, on 26 May 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

It's not the long tom itself that is the issue. It is that the recent hotfix looks like it reverted the long tom damage to its original state and not its tuned damage numbers.

Ugh.

#6 Ruslan Savelyev

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 26 May 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

^ T5 reading comprehension :/

Let me clarify. There is a problem with the Long Tom *TODAY*. A direct hit the first day the Long Tom was introduced, before the first live nerf, did about 21% damage on a close hit to an assault 'Mech. After the nerf, it usually did under 15%.

As of *TODAY* it is 1 shotting anything in the radius. I played one FW game out of boredom, the first since the phase 3 contest, and we lost 3 'Mechs on the first Long Tom hit, before either gate opened. We lost 2 more on the second Long Tom hit, before the first shot was fired.

I am not complaining about the implementation of the Long Tom, as I have almost no interest in CW, I am attempting to report a bug that is causing the Long Tom to do over 500% of its intended damage.

#7 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

Same quality of work as we've come to expect from PGI over the years. Laughably shoddy.

I keep having the image of people working at PGI, trying to 'fix' things, and it looks exactly the same as the Simpsons episode where Homer attempts to make Mr. Burns breakfast and every attempt catches fire....

Edit: Found it...

Edited by Helsbane, 26 May 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#8 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:39 PM

View PostTanil Kane, on 26 May 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

*facepalm* and *headshake* (someone find a meme to cover that please)

So a another normal hotfix then? Two steps forward, two steps to the left and one step back, it's like some sort of programming square dance.

#9 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

Seriously, why is it that other game companies have a fairly straightforward approach to game design while PGI's approach is like stage three of a Ninja Warrior course?

#10 nimdabew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:31 AM

It is simple really. Repeat these words in a PGI voice: durrrr dur dur

#11 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:20 PM

WTF, remove this garbage mechanic from the game.

#12 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 May 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

It's part of what makes FW great.
Motivates you to keep playing.... right?

Posted Image

#13 Iron Buccaneer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

Yup it seems very broken at the moment. As this is FW it might get hotfixed next month.

#14 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:22 AM

Feel free to voice concerns here: CLICK ME

#15 Iron Buccaneer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:55 AM

View PostR31Nismoid, on 28 May 2016 - 02:22 AM, said:

Feel free to voice concerns here: CLICK ME

No it is not working right. It is taking out entire lances before any shots are fired in one hit. This is far more powerful than it has ever been. They may have intended to scale it back but they ramped it up instead. Read or better yet go find a map dropping long tom and see for yourself.

#16 Ruslan Savelyev

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:36 AM

Somehow I don't think this one happened on purpose...

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 02 May 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

After evaluating the implementation of the Long Tom and your feedback since the April 19th patch and the April 21st hot-fix, we have completed a server-side change to scale back the power of the Long Tom Artillery, effective immediately. This change has already been completed, and does not require any downtime.
Today’s change is a straight reduction to the Long Tom damage value, from its previous 700 DMG down to 300 DMG.

15 days later...

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 16 May 2016 - 10:40 AM, said:

• Long Tom Strike: Maximum amount of Damage that can be dealt to a single 'Mech is now 1650 DMG (150 DMG per Component).
• Long Tom Strike: Blast radius is 300m.

My bet is that some manager asked for changes, which got made to an outdated file, and somewhere between checking snapchats and planning his vacation, the aforementioned manager skipped any kind of QA and dumped it on the live servers.

Or someone could explain rationally why a concept was implemented, reduced to 43% of the original effect after review and feedback, then increased 550% 2 weeks later?

#17 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

Wait, this can hit you in the drop zone? I stepped off the drop ship with a fresh mech and was hit and killed by Long Tom before I could leave the zone. This is absurd.

#18 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

View PostHusker Dude, on 03 June 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

Wait, this can hit you in the drop zone? I stepped off the drop ship with a fresh mech and was hit and killed by Long Tom before I could leave the zone. This is absurd.

LT hits the largest concentration of mechs, regardless of location on the map. Hell, I'm surprised the formula used to pop the smoke on a targeted area hasn't attempted to hit a moving dropship yet due to four mechs in close proximity...

#19 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

Dropped in a PUG counter attack today with 11 other dudes who i had never seen before, good sign that new people are playing i thought, some even in trial mechs, asking what we had to in this mode, surely a number of new converts to FW. So someone decided to call when a 12man was spotted on the Clan side. The Clanners had satellite and knew where we were moving but by wave 2 we were still good only 4 mechs down and knew they had a number of broken mechs too. Then the Clans got the LongTom, we spread as much as we could and still lost 4 mechs. At this point the PUGs started complaining, the game had turned from a we might win against a 12man to a this is crap, LT sux, this game sux, we cant win now situation for many. A fun game for all had turned into a horrible game for many on our side. I called for the attack as quickly as possible and to try to stay near the enemies so the LT got them and us, which did happen. For the fourth wave one poor guy was insta killed by the LT a second time and stated he would be uninstalling the actual game to never play gain and three others said they would not be playing FW any longer. 4 FW players lost, GG LongTom GG.

I have a unit, im a seasoned MWO & FP veteran, but looks like many who arent rightly hate the LongTom and wont be around to help make FP into a viable option.

Edited by Ace Selin, 03 June 2016 - 09:05 PM.

#20 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

You know, it may be easier just to agree as a community not to scout the long tom. If pgi won't fix this, lets just all agree not to scout when it becomes possible to get the long tom.

(please note that I fully expect people to come back and say "no way, long tom rocks and his hilarious and blah blah blah." I am hoping that this helps you guys understand what PGI and other people go through on a daily basis when something occurs that some people like and others don't. For the record, I hate long tom, as funny as it was to watch the first time. It will ruin this mode if it isn't addressed soon and in a serious manner. Just wanted to point out that as a community, it would be within the realm of possibilities for us to fix this problem ourselves without any assistance or interference from PGI at all. But then again, that would be asking a lot to have a bunch of gamers to take responsibility for their behavior inside of a game. Any bets on who can fix the issue first, us or PGI? not to try to sway your vote but I don't scout at all and strongly encourage in our unit to not scout...it's just not worth it as the first 2 perks are nice but unneeded and the 3rd, well the 3rd is just ridiculously OP.)

Edited by Pat Kell, 03 June 2016 - 09:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users