59 replies to this topic

#41 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

i wouldnt slap any lrm's on any victor at all. not enuff missile tubes.
most working builds are around Xl350 + 4 JJ's.

ac20, srm6 +artemis, mlas, uac5's, gauss, maybe lpl but i cant see much use of hot energy weapons without any energy heat reduction quirks.
even 2 additional mlas on a ac20 + 2 srm6 artemis build spikes up the heat.

for what i noticed is that staying mobile is the only way to keep the victor alive on the battlefield. jump, twist, turn and fire while doing so. you cant peek against all the other mechs because most of the mechs currently played will instagib your side torso while you cant do much damage at more range than you have.

then you just gotta make use of your jumpjets and approach where no one will even think of a assault suddenly coming out, brawling the holy hell out of you.

unless PGI finally notices us and asks us directly what we would change on the mech itself i cant see it beeing fixed.

remodel it, fix missile tubes, fix the hitboxes, give it jumpjet boosting quirks and more structure (propably on highlander level....), get some heat reduction quirks going.

#42 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

I do not understand why they gave so much love to the AWS and left the VTR and ZEU to die. It's just awful seeing those two rot.

This from an AWS pilot.

#43 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:35 PM

Victor have a choice of SRM6+4+2 or LRM10+5.
Since my Victor are played as support role and less of a brawler, I choose LRM to allow engagement from long range before reaching ballistic and laser range. I like to have overlapping range bracket in my builds, so it will be not useless due to map selection or range.

A big engine is definitely a must, personally even a 300 rating still feel slow in a Victor.

#44 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:57 PM

I just don't see why they don't throw the structure quirk Band-Aid on it until they can truly fix it. Put the Warhammer or Black Knights structure quirks on it and move it to a Heavy's move type. This would at least leave you in the game long enough to help. This could help at least till they get some real fixes in place.

#45 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:59 PM

View PostRock Roller, on 08 September 2016 - 09:57 PM, said:

I just don't see why they don't throw the structure quirk Band-Aid on it until they can truly fix it. Put the Warhammer or Black Knights structure quirks on it and move it to a Heavy's move type. This would at least leave you in the game long enough to help. This could help at least till they get some real fixes in place.

The only fix they could make that would help the Old Gods at this point is the one thing they don't want to do, which is unnerf JJs.

#46 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:01 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 08 September 2016 - 10:59 PM, said:

The only fix they could make that would help the Old Gods at this point is the one thing they don't want to do, which is unnerf JJs.

Less squishyness and better maneuverability can't hurt. It also has the Benifit of being easy. I am all for a true rebuild but some love in the short term would be nice.

#47 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

Well it looks like I will get my band-aid. Looking forward to dusting off my Victors and giving them some matches. Also got the Marauder IIc coming so it will be an interesting comparison.

#48 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:33 AM

The new armor buffs and last patch if agility buffs have really allowed me to enjoy the Victor again. The thing I noticed wasnt in the wins but losses when i was focused down by more than one mech and held up better than in yhe past. Still an outlier mech but at least you can take it out and not be wasted tonnage for your team.

#49 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

The Victor was my first assault mech, I bought the mastery pack at the height of its mediocrity in September of 2015, shortly after I started playing. I mastered the DS, 9SC, and 9B, and played it not much since though at one time the DS was my second most played mech. I didn't get the 9K...thought the VTR was just too sad to finish the set.

Then came the armor buff. So I completed the set right around patch day with the 9K. The build is probably not the best but I've had fun with it and mastered it in about a week of on and off playing. I have all six jump jets, XL320, 3xLL, AC5, 2xLRM5, 3 tons ammo for the AC and 3 for the LRMs, and the rest filled with heat sinks. It's hot. But I'm fully armored and fully crit-padded at 79.9 tons, and with AC5 cooldown, LRM5 cooldown, and LL range modules, it's interesting. You can poptart if you place well, and while the jets refill, plink away with LRM5 and almost have them coming out like classic LRM5 chain spam.

#50 chromanim

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

For the people that still have some hope of dusting off your Dragon Slayers and making it work, I might have the answer.

The build is still in testing, but with the new tech I have found a build that i massively enjoy.

DHS, endo
Light engine 300,
2x MRM 30 (4,5t ammo)
1x UAC 10 (3t ammo)
3x JumpJets
no heatsinks

shave the legs down to 67 armor and the left arm to 20 and you're gold

Hope this helps.
It is sad to see so few of these amazing mechs in the game lately... let's bring'em back!

#51 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:23 AM

I've been toying with the idea of hopping back in a VTR-9B.
Make a goofy build with three RAC2's.
Then after my giggles go back to the chassis' roots:
AC20
Two Large Lasers
SRM 6 and SRM 4
Wonder how MRM's are affected with missile tube count though...

#52 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

Gonna need some ideas for the new loyalty Victor - my Assault game is nonexistent...

#53 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

Triple AC10 and dual AC20 are options. Triple UAC5 would work, too, but it seems like that would be a bit of a waste on an 80-tonner since the MAL already does quads. Maybe 2xUAC5 plus 1 UAC10 or 20? The missile hardpoint is what really has me scratching my head. The patch notes claim that the Victor got its weapon geometry updated, so a big MRM launcher might be an option there- hybrid MRM/dakka? Don't see many of those.

Or, if you're feeling really silly, 3xAC20. There's barely enough tonnage to mount the guns, but it can be done. Total troll build, because you're either carrying barely any ammo or you're slower than a dead Annihilator... somebody's gonna have to try it, though, just to make a point. It should be just barely possible to alpha without overheating.

I'm a little excited about the 9A1. The last time I drove a Victor it didn't work out so well, but that was a few years ago and I've gotten slightly less terrible with Assaults since then. It would be good to have another mobile 80-tonner with more of a ballistic focus as a counterpoint to my Zeuses, which lean a bit more heavily on missiles.

#54 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

Actually, if you dual LBX 20 and AC 20 it's way better than triple AC20 imho. No ghost heat suiciding that way. You aren't wrong about not being able to carry enough ammo though. I can apparently usually get one kill and have a little left over to hurt someone.

Also hilarious, I had a match where my damage exceeded my anticipated max damage from ammo, almost certainly due to crits.

#55 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:57 PM

Wow, that's unusual. It seems that a STD250 in a 3x20 troll build actually comes out ahead of LFE250 on tonnage because the LFE build can't take endo and still have enough slots for the guns and ammo. You might be onto something, substituting the LB20X for two of the cannons, since you're better off with a STD engine anyway (at least, if you want to fully armor your torso and gun arm).

You know you've broken reality when...Posted Image

#56 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:59 AM

I tried to run 3xLB10X and 3xML on mine. It kind of works, but the mech feels quite slow (I think I put a LFE300 in there).

Edited by Horseman, 15 November 2017 - 03:59 AM.

#57 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

Considering 3x LB-10X on the loyalty variant - is this chassis XL friendly in any way?

#58 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 15 November 2017 - 11:05 PM, said:

Considering 3x LB-10X on the loyalty variant - is this chassis XL friendly in any way?

No. But you can do 3 LBX10 with LFE or STD.

#59 SuperMCDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 131 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

I've been running mine with an LFE300, 2xAC20, and 3xML. Max armour, except on the empty arm. It does alright, if I can get it close enough to blast the reds without getting blown apart myself.

I've also tried replacing one of the AC20's with a MRM40. Didn't seem to do quite so well, even though it's got a bit more range. Maybe after skilling up the missile nodes, it could do better at critting them, once the AC20 has made a hole.

#60 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

I am not sure if the new loyalty Victor will breath new life into this chassis, however I am excited to try it out. Sadly I did not qualify for this loyalty reward, but I will get this variant when it is released for CBill purchase. I am itching to try out a 3AC20 build.

That said, I am experimenting with my old Victors to see if any of the new tech has brought them back to life. So I have dusted off all my variants and have been testing out the builds below. I find that I like them with some combination of AC20 or Guass and LPLs the best. Most of my builds below can switch out to those easily enough.

My goal when setting up my loadouts was to switch from XL engines to LXL engines. Mainly because I always seemed to die from a ST loss while still having half or more of my fire power left with my old XL builds. I wanted to prevent that and was willing to loose speed, even thought that kind of goes against my build philosophy with Victors. Still I was able to go decently fast enough and have enough damage potential to efficient on the battlefield.

Unfortunately so far I have not been wowed by the performance of any of these builds. They all work well, but in most cases I can use another chassis (even some heavies) to better effect. On the positive side, the fact that they work well and I feel like I can compete with them, makes me feel much better about my Victors again. It has made them worth playing again for me.

So if you have any pointers on making these builds better, please share them. If they help you enjoy your Victors again, that even better!

Dragon Slayer New Tech Builds: PPC and Guass based builds
Build 1: Not sure how I feel about the Heavy PPC. I think I prefer build 2 with the ERPPC and more speed.
Build 2

9S New Tech Builds: AC20 and MRM
Build 1: This is really the only build I liked. I can switch out the AC20 for a guass and/or drop to a LXL300 and replace the ERML with ERLL or LL and it works ok, but I already had another variant I was running similar to that build that I liked better.

9B New Tech Builds: I was all over the map here, but I like them all. I am just now sure how much I like Rocket Launchers. They are great for that one shot, but you can't miss!
Build 1: AC20 Brawler with a little left arm poke. Poked from range then first chance to brawl unload the 2xRL20's. Nasty
Build 2: Slower, but switched the ERLLs for LPLs. More of a true brawler this way. Still the 2x RL20's were awesome when I unloaded them in someones face!
Build 3: Faster brawler. High DPS splat type of build. Very similar to how I ran this variant back in the day, but with a few upgrades. Still worked very well, but was not quite as fun a build 1 and 2.
Build 4: Just a LPL version of build 3. I found this build very fun to play. I want to try this one with Rocket Launcher and a bigger engine, but haven't done it yet.

9K New Tech Builds: Gauss with some PPC or LPLs
Build 1: Light PPC and Guass. I still have not figured out the light PPCs yet, but I am getting there. I think they can be very useful, problem is I want to use them like they are snub nose PPCs. I tried a snub nose build, but it was just too hot. Still a simultaneously is like rolling with a heavy ppc for one less ton and a faster fire rate. I also like that I can chain fire them to prevent heat build up. If you have the hard points I prefer 3 LPPC over 1 HPPC.
Build 2: LPL Guass brawler. At least that is how I played it. Very fun! be sure to have the 3LPLs on two weapon groups. One to fire all at once and one to chain fire.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users