So... How To Report Nonparticipation That Is Simply Avoidance Of Combat?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:48 PM

How do we report non-participation where the offender is simply avoiding combat in order to run out the clock to endure a loss for his team in order to survive and protect his kill-to-death ratios?

The only in-game report choices for non-participation are AFK and Suicide... nothing for avoidance of combat. So for now I have to report them as Greifing > Assisting the Enemy.

Is that the best way to report the KDR feinds who run away and hide to let the clock run down? Because their act of hiding is assisting the enemy, and I think that's the best choice we have right now.

"But, the match is already over."

No, its not. You would be at the end-match scoreboard if the match was over. Your KDR is irrelevant if you are the kind of person who cheats the statistics system by violating the CoC and hiding for clock-runouts. Your stats are fraudulent, like you.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 02 June 2016 - 11:50 PM.

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:54 PM

True story.
There needs to be a b!+c# made button for griefing

#3 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:19 AM

How about a team vote menu option that requires 75% favorability to eject a player from the mech? Nine players would have to agree so it wouldn't be easy to abuse. The option for this menu to be activated could only occur in the last five minutes of a Quick Play match to further prevent misuse of it. It could be a fun way to shame people who don't or won't play due to preserving their scores. It would also make people fight harder in the first ten minutes if there are any rivalries on a team, no one would likely enjoy being ejected. Most rounds end before ten minutes in Quick Play anyway.

#4 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:22 AM

Oh easy solution you just don't check the box next to skirm....oh wait...

Well as much as I hate to admit it, people are free to not run wildly flailing their arms/legs into the enemy mob if they so choose. Most of the time it is usually a light and they did engage (participate) so you can't really place it as a CoC violation or whatever. They have no obligation to die quickly for your benefit. So I guess the next best thing is to.....

Hop in another mech and get another match.

Edited by Chagatay, 03 June 2016 - 12:30 AM.

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:31 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 02 June 2016 - 11:48 PM, said:

How do we report non-participation where the offender is simply avoiding combat in order to run out the clock to endure a loss for his team in order to survive and protect his kill-to-death ratios?

The only in-game report choices for non-participation are AFK and Suicide... nothing for avoidance of combat. So for now I have to report them as Greifing > Assisting the Enemy.

Is that the best way to report the KDR feinds who run away and hide to let the clock run down? Because their act of hiding is assisting the enemy, and I think that's the best choice we have right now.

"But, the match is already over."

No, its not. You would be at the end-match scoreboard if the match was over. Your KDR is irrelevant if you are the kind of person who cheats the statistics system by violating the CoC and hiding for clock-runouts. Your stats are fraudulent, like you.

Avoiding combat after your team sucked and died early and you are the sole survivor is not a violation of the CoC if the respective player participated up to this point.
Infact the person who would actually be the malcontent (chatabuse --> harrasing) would be you if you are using chat to press your surviving teammember into a suicide attack or anything comparable stupid.

You signed up for the waiting game the moment skirmish started...sorry bro but I realy think skirmish is the only mode that should be removed sooner than later

Edited by The Basilisk, 03 June 2016 - 12:31 AM.

#6 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:09 AM

Vote kicking would do the trick.

#7 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:18 AM

Yea you dont need to spect after you died its just your choice...

PGI gave you 4 mechbays so take a trial and launch another match if you have only one mech you will get more Cbills than if you wait...

Or do like me die at last place next time.
Camp behind campers is totally OP for not spect bads players after you were destroyed Posted Image

#8 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:52 AM

What if you have no functioning weapons left or run a pure scout build with tag and narc?

In that case you can't fight, but you can hardly be expected to suicide into the enemy since suiciding is against the rules.

It's an edge case but I think it examplifies how active avoidance can hardly be a violation since that creates a kind of catch 22 between the rule against non participation and the rule against suicide.

#9 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:29 AM

Well, if the individual running around had participated in the match at one point at all, then really there isn't a violation of the rules so they really shouldn't be reported.

Sure the player is being a giant D-Bag at that point, but if that player was doing things earlier like firing at the enemy, TAG/NARCing, etc... then they haven't broken any rules that I am aware of.

Again, I wouldn't advocate that behavior as it does waste everyone's time, but again, I think that person is in the clear rules wise if they were participating earlier in the match.

Nevermind...Shows how well I remember the rules Posted Image

View PostTarl Cabot, on 03 June 2016 - 04:51 AM, said:

If the enemy is avoiding contact and not engaging at all when it is the last mech left, unlike an ERLL equipped raven/cheetah/etc that would be relocating and firing onto the enemy, at that point it becomes an act of non-participation at that point in time.

From the CoC

http://mwomercs.com/conduct

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 03 June 2016 - 05:27 AM.

#10 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:43 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 03 June 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

Well, if the individual running around had participated in the match at one point at all, then really there isn't a violation of the rules so they really shouldn't be reported.

Sure the player is being a giant D-Bag at that point, but if that player was doing things earlier like firing at the enemy, TAG/NARCing, etc... then they haven't broken any rules that I am aware of.

Again, I wouldn't advocate that behavior as it does waste everyone's time, but again, I think that person is in the clear rules wise if they were participating earlier in the match.

What if, in that situation where you have no weapons left, you don't avoid fighting and suicide into the enemy team. Isn't that breaking the rule against suicide?

And if so, isn't the logical conclusion that avoiding the enemy in this case is the only legal move you have left?

#11 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:50 AM

Press Escape -> Leave Match

There's not really much you can do about such people, it would probably take too long for moderators to catch up to them, and not sure even then if they can do much (since they are rightfully more concerned with cheaters and griefers). Just leave the match and play a quick match in another mech and it'll be ready for you when that new match is concluded.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:51 AM

If the enemy is avoiding contact and not engaging at all when it is the last mech left, unlike an ERLL equipped raven/cheetah/etc that would be relocating and firing onto the enemy, at that point it becomes an act of non-participation at that point in time.

From the CoC

There are situations that do not fall within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended for. The use of the shutdown mechanic or avoiding contact with the enemy under the following situations may be classed as an act of non-participation, subject to evaluation and moderation actions by Support services:

• Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.
  • Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.
  • Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.
  • Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 June 2016 - 04:58 AM.

#13 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:20 AM

And this **** is exactly why we didn't have skirmish mode at the beginning. Then some lardy arsed morons who couldn't be arsed to protect their base whined incessantly about assault mode and we got skirmish.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 03 June 2016 - 05:20 AM.

#14 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:21 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 03 June 2016 - 04:43 AM, said:

What if, in that situation where you have no weapons left, you don't avoid fighting and suicide into the enemy team. Isn't that breaking the rule against suicide?

And if so, isn't the logical conclusion that avoiding the enemy in this case is the only legal move you have left?

Is it suicide really? Now that is an interesting point when we discuss player intent. Thing is, Actions are easier than intent to enforce Posted Image.

According to pure game mechanics and rules, it probably isn't suicide. I'm sure the first thing a reviewer at PGI would look at is..."You has killed You" or "Enemy has killed You".

I'll say that if you are stripped during combat and you run at the enemy and get blown up, you aren't going to be charged with a strike for suicide either. You were killed in combat, end of story. The only exception is probably the guy who runs at the enemy from the start and is killed within 30 seconds and didn't even fire a shot. That is blatant enough that it would probably get noticed.

Besides, if you listen to the Override supporters, they would probably tell you the above action wasn't suicide at all and was purely "Going out in a blaze of glory!" *rolls eyes* lol.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 03 June 2016 - 05:28 AM.

#15 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:24 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 03 June 2016 - 04:51 AM, said:

From the CoC

Well there you go (I was wrong). You can be reported even if you did contribute earlier AS LONG as you can still contribute.

I don't pull that crap anyway (like i said, pretty D-Bagish), but now I know it is reportable if I see it.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 03 June 2016 - 05:29 AM.

#16 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:04 AM

There also needs to be an understanding of those who use all the remaining time to try and savagely dissect the remaining enemies one by one, never seen, rarely heard, and always feared. There's nothing I hate more than having to stop and type "quit reporting my position" because I am making a long run around to find lone enemy mechs and pick them off one by one.

As evidenced by multiple matches, it is quite possible to pull out a crazy win if you're not busy trying to argue with a kid who wants me to die so he can have his mech 5 minutes earlier.

Edited by Dino Might, 03 June 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#17 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:19 AM

Just hit the escape key and click exit. No more time wasted.

#18 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:36 AM

if they arnt participating and just run off to the Ends of the map to power down
then report them for non participation(Tab> click on their Name> Report Options),

if they communicate and say they are still trying to get some kills for the team,
letting the Enemy Spread out and them move to take action(no report Needed as they are Participating)

if they communicate and say they have a plan, and one of their Fellow teammates gives their location in all chat,
then they can report the player who Gave them up, assisting the Enemy(Tab> click on their Name> Report Options),

#19 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

heh.. I had a match the other day, that we had 3 or 4 mechs left, all slower heavies/assaults against a ECM spider with ERPPC skirmish and 8 mins left.. I almost just dropped the match, but i didn't instead i watched as for 5+ mins they chased this guy around, while he slowly took um all out..

the spider won the match and ended up with 5 kills, a bunch of assists and 500+ damage..

Basically, my point is, if you don't want to watch the end of the match drop the match, if your playing you can always accidentally run out of bounds.(prove that you it wasn't an accident.. maybe you dropped your mouse at a full run.. yes it can happen.. or just not realize you are that close till to late.. or trying to run across a small part for a short cut, which is perfectly legit) Play another mech for a match.. or go take 5 and grab something to drink, a snack, bathroom break.. or troll smurfy and play with builds..

and yes,, I hate skirmish for this exact reason.. but ahh well, i deal with it.. reporting someone at this point in the match is pointless, because how can you prove they are not just trying to get into a better position, even if they are shut down in a corner.. they can just claim they were waiting to ambush, which i have also seen happen.

it's a non-issue.. and people can pull out wins.. In total rolls the team should have enough mechs to find um in a few mins anyway

Edited by JC Daxion, 03 June 2016 - 02:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users