28 replies to this topic

#1 Mountain Mechwarrior

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:38 AM

Hello,

So I am new to MWO. I have been playing for a couple of weeks. At the moment I am just grinding through PUG games to earn experience and C-Bills to upgrade my first Mechs. I have realized coordination is the key to success in this game.

As such I am looking for a place to learn and a team.

I am long time Battletech fan through the miniature/Board game sense the 4th SW era. As such my house is, and always will be, Davion. I a am rookie in online gaming. In fact I just ordered my first headset to get on teamspeak

So am not sure where to go or how to begin to become part of team. Looking for some guidance.

Thanks

Edited by Mountain Mechwarrior, 03 June 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#2 Nexano

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFrom There

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:13 AM

Wooow... Davion recruit. Try HHoD or PHL, i guess they take you in. Look in recruitment topics.

#3 Mountain Mechwarrior

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

Thank you

#4 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

Make sure you sign on to Davion TeamSpeak (ts50:bargainvoice.com if I remember rightly) everytime you play CW. It is a completely different game and much better to play in an organised group, plus plenty of folks can offer help and advice to new guys. You don't necessarily need a mic as you can text chat, but it will help.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

PHL aren't Davion ATM I don't think? And thus, a Merc unit.

IMO you're better off in a Merc unit, but that's just me... Lets you move where the population goes etc as sometimes it's harder to get games. Davion won't be too hard though as you can def anything easily to get games but you won't get a lot of attack experience unless you drop with a HHoD group or similar

#6 Mordale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,008 posts
  • Locationon some backwater rock of a planet

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

Mercs have more Fun!

#7 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

Well, his natural leaning is towards Davion, and its gets kinda expensive trying to buy clan *and* IS right off the bat so I wouldn't discourage it.

He can always strike off as a merc later...

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

Yeah only issue is losing the loyalty points, that does suck. Hopefully it gets changed as that's a lot of work to essentially throw in the bin.

You can always run a Clan trial deck, I've done it by accident a few times (when the bug was there). Still did a decent amount of damage as it's less about the mech and more about the tactics/working at a cohesive team... Mech in many ways comes second. I mean obviously don't bring a DWF as a 4th drop, that's just a bad choice lol so in that case Mech selection is forefront.
But yeah, trials are usually pretty decent builds now rather than crappy stock loadouts. Not all of them "meta" but you at least get a solid taste for the particular mechs and how they will run letting to make a more educated/better purchase in some ways to suit your style.

#9 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:32 PM

Come check out the 22nd Argyle Lancers, we're "casually competitive", mostly NA with some oceanic ppl.
http://mwomercs.com/...d-mechwarriors/

Contact Cmetz, Stillradioactive or TigeriusX for more information.

#10 St0neFire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, US

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

Teamspeak Davion server is the best start, drop in on groups and get a feel for each one, I am a member of C4 and these are some great people to play with, check them out ...

#11 WAR_HAWK

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPlanet: Kesai

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

4CAV is recruiting and accepts all skill levels. We are Loyalist Davion as well.

Check us out at www.4thcavalrydivison.enjin.com.

#12 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:06 PM

Leave your LRMs at home and people will respect you:)

#13 Mountain Mechwarrior

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:12 PM

I am not a LRM guy. I have fallen to the AC fire support role. Getting better with my Enforcer.

So this will be total duh question.

Both the websites listed above, when I go to them in my search engine they go nowhere

Are they websites for in the game?

How do I access teamspeak in the game?

Thanks

Edited by Mountain Mechwarrior, 04 June 2016 - 11:15 PM.

#14 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:27 PM

download TS3, you cannot access it in game.

https://www.teamspeak.com/teamspeak3

Sure, the in game VoIP works, but it isn't good.

It'll be a choice you will not regret.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 04 June 2016 - 11:28 PM.

#15 Aylward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 606 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:36 AM

once you've downloaded TeamSpeak, go to ts50.bargainvoice.com:7345, no password. There should be plenty of Davion pilots around to talk to.. Welcome to the Federated Suns.. Posted Image

#16 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:07 AM

Welcome to MWO!

General Aylward didn't mention the Headhunters of Davion (HHOD) website, mwo.enjin.com. We have around 200 members, mostly in NA and EU areas (some Oceanic). Focus is on Faction Warfare, but the unit also fields teams for the various tournaments, and we do group play as well. There is a well established "training" program and I think we also have a company for the "casual" player. That said:

1) Make sure to set your Teamspeak (TS) setup to push to talk. You can customize the "Talk" button to anything, use something not already assigned in game (I use F1 for TS and F2 for in-game VOIP, but use whatever is comfortable). This is just polite and keeps your mic from randomly transmitting background noise when you are not talking.

2) Although I understand your desire to pledge Davion, I would recommend new players still "rotate" through the various houses/clans. There are fun groups of players in all of the factions and merc companies, and you really want to find a group that you enjoy playing/talking with.

3) Faction Warfare (FW/CW) is REALLY hard for new players. Although Free to Play, some MWO players have put in thousands of hours and $$ as the game has been developed. These are some of the people you will be playing with/against. Skill helps, but having the resources to maximize the effectiveness of your mechs to compete (mechs, weapons loadouts, modules) really impacts at this level of play. That said, the level 2 "faction reputation" rewards include an additional mechbay for each faction (worth about $3 USD), and you need those mechbays, so if real $$ is tight, it may be worth the "pain". Just don't expect any team to be happy that you are "bringing a knife to a gunfight" in FW.

4) BEFORE you spend any real $$ read the various internet posts/this forum for advise. There are usually many sales spread throughout the year, so "planning is saving".

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps, and see you around the battlefield!

#17 Mountain Mechwarrior

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I will get Teamspeak installed this week and see where I go from there.

Right now I a most interested in finding a group to drop with on casual PUG games.

I believe I am too inexperienced for CW yet.

#18 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

Heya Mountain Mechwarrior,

Sounds like your perfect for us as we are fun bunch of players (70 about ) that love to have new players join our ranks. We're not serious comp but we do try to win every match. Love to see you Check us out here

http://c4mercs.enjin.com

And on Teamspeak- look for C4
ts50.bargainvoice.com:7345

#19 Jacob Side

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:23 AM

Hey now! If anyone is going to offer this guy free Candy & Puppies it's going to be C4

#20 St0neFire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, US

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostJacob Side, on 06 June 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Hey now! If anyone is going to offer this guy free Candy & Puppies it's going to be C4

And in the "Van" too boot ... hell, can't go wrong with that combo ....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users