I Miss The Old Caustic

15 replies to this topic

#1 irony1999

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

Sure it wasn't the prettiest... and people race tracked around it like crazy...
But it was my favorite of the smallish 8v8 maps - a nice mix of places to hide and wide open areas. Environment was fun (super hot caldera), and it was bright - no visibility problems like Forest Colony (v1).

The new one is... OK. But I miss the original, still. It just had something fun about it that I miss in the new version.

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

I prefer the new one - its more immersive imo.

#3 A Man In A Can

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:31 PM

All the geographic elements of the old caustic are still there in the new one. There are just more rocks, and the night/day cycles make it less of a static map that looks pretty and more an actual planet with a hostile environ. One that sometimes requires use of the other vision modes. There's more challenge to it, and perhaps that's what you're feeling.

#4 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:54 AM

So do I, but I also like the new one (only when I win), but the old one coukd come back as a sister map of Caustic, like Polar Highlands is to Alpine Peaks and Frozen City Night is to Frozen City.

#5 DANKnuggz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

It would be nice when they add a reworked map if they could keep the old one as a variant. I enjoyed old caustic more than I do new and it would be nice to have both on the map list.

#6 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

I think it's one of the revamps which didn't change the actual gameplay very much.

I always liked the map, old or new.

#7 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

I enjoyed the old one more than the current iteration as well... the hills were much easier to climb and use.

#8 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

There are better arena like games than MWO...

#9 ThorsMjolnir117

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:04 PM

Holy f- they screwed this map up. Within 15 seconds of spawning we get shot by gauss and lrms. [redacted] The cover isn't tall enough to avoid missiles. Play an assault or slow mech and you're half dead before you can get to cover.

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 03 October 2021 - 05:57 AM.

#10 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 04:32 PM

Community has spoken with voting.

Every time I see Caustic, it is Caustic Conquest.

Not the favorite Domination since that exposes people to long range fire, not Skirmish.

Conquest clearly the only mode allowing the best chance for Brawling by forcing you to chase cap points on a wide open bowl.

#11 ThorsMjolnir117

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 05:07 PM

PGI: lets make the center of caustic the same color yellow at the domination circle.

Everyone: never go full potato PGI...

#12 Softis

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:04 AM

Is anyone else finding the fog on this map to be really excessive? I can't see past 300-400m or so, especially around the middle. As a result, most of my Caustic Reborn matches have been some of my worst performances ever.

And no, vision modes don't help. The problem isn't the gas geysers or the lighting, it's the long-distance fog, which neither Thermal or Night vision help with.

#13 Ludo22

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 22 September 2021 - 04:08 PM

With every map update I have found it harder and harder to play an assault mech. This map is the same as the others.

#14 RaTMaN203

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:36 AM

Hi,

I've had very little motivation to write a message on the forums until now (First Post). This new version of caustic is god awful. I can't even think of a positive thing about this map. I've had some matches where both teams are fighting in an area almost outside the map like they are trying to escape the map. That in itself shows extremely poor map design.

I've never played on a worse map. Could we please have the previous caustic valley back ASAP. If we can't get the old one back to replace this new version can we please remove this new map, burn it and never speak of it again?

Thank You and have a nice day!
RaTMaN203

P.S. I do really enjoy this game and I'm glad this game still has a player base, events and updates. Thank you everyone for keeping this game alive. CHEERS!

#15 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:29 AM

I think they should have procedural maps so they are never the same.

#16 Gisela von Hinten

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:45 PM

i dont like the new caustic. its not caustic anymore.
it always was king of the hot hill.
this is ok'ish, but not caustic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users