I Sincerely Hate This Map

9 replies to this topic

#1 Nukesnipe

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 05:47 PM

Three Domination games on this map in a row where a team won because they had a Locust and the other team didn't, and managed to win before the other team could even get to the circle This isn't fun. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

And even in matches that don't end this anticlimactically, it's just not a fun map. You spend 3-4 minutes walking to the same I/J 8/9 square in the middle, then you fight around the buildings and hills. There's so much on the map that just never gets used unless two wolfpacks run into each other, and it's boring.

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 February 2022 - 07:27 PM

I haven't played the new Polar Highlands, unfortunately. Other games take up more of my time these days. But while the only real problem with the old Polar was a lack of LRM cover, the feedback I've been reading tells me they may have gone overboard with the revamp. I'll have to hop into a Battlemech and see.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:46 PM

View PostNukesnipe, on 07 February 2022 - 05:47 PM, said:

And even in matches that don't end this anticlimactically, it's just not a fun map. You spend 3-4 minutes walking to the same I/J 8/9 square in the middle, then you fight around the buildings and hills. There's so much on the map that just never gets used unless two wolfpacks run into each other, and it's boring.

I totally agree with this part. They could fix this by making Domination mode have 3 different circles to control and getting one at random each drop. Better map for minimal effort anyway.

#4 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 11 February 2022 - 08:49 AM

View PostNukesnipe, on 07 February 2022 - 05:47 PM, said:

Three Domination games on this map in a row where a team won because they had a Locust and the other team didn't, and managed to win before the other team could even get to the circle This isn't fun. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

what map?

#5 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 02:42 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 10 February 2022 - 07:27 PM, said:

I haven't played the new Polar Highlands, unfortunately. Other games take up more of my time these days. But while the only real problem with the old Polar was a lack of LRM cover, the feedback I've been reading tells me they may have gone overboard with the revamp. I'll have to hop into a Battlemech and see.

New Highlands is actually somewhat smaller than old Highlands, IIRC, so it's not quite as bad. But it's still Highlands.

Still, the only way you should lose a domination match without contesting is if your entire team is Dire Wolves or something. Anybody with 60kph or so can get to the circle before it can be capped out, even against a locust, as long as they don't goof around.

I'd shrink the whole thing another grid square all the way around just to reduce the walking time and improve the Conquest play particularly myself, though.

Edited by foamyesque, 11 February 2022 - 02:43 PM.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:44 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 11 February 2022 - 02:42 PM, said:

New Highlands is actually somewhat smaller than old Highlands, IIRC, so it's not quite as bad. But it's still Highlands.

Still, the only way you should lose a domination match without contesting is if your entire team is Dire Wolves or something. Anybody with 60kph or so can get to the circle before it can be capped out, even against a locust, as long as they don't goof around.

I'd shrink the whole thing another grid square all the way around just to reduce the walking time and improve the Conquest play particularly myself, though.

Based on the description of camp-able building complexes, it may be a significant departure from original Polar. The original map confused people because it was designed for mobile fights instead of static, set-piece battles. All that deceptively open, rolling terrain had covered and concealed routes to get nearly anywhere you needed to be - so if one side bellied up to a ridge and tried to camp, they'd have nowhere to go when the enemy team rounded the end of that ridgeline and attacked them in enfilade. This confused all the (many) players who just loved Canyon Network to death for its multitude of camping spots, but if you had one team try to camp, and the other team stayed mobile, the mobile team had a noticeable tendency to win.

The map did lack sufficient high cover, which led everyone and their Clanner uncle to vote for it when they were using LRM builds (another factor that contributed to people misunderstanding the map tactically,) but all that it really needed were deeper cuts for the trails and roadways, with a few large, open-sided sheds scattered around.

#7 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:25 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 16 February 2022 - 12:44 PM, said:

Based on the description of camp-able building complexes, it may be a significant departure from original Polar. The original map confused people because it was designed for mobile fights instead of static, set-piece battles. All that deceptively open, rolling terrain had covered and concealed routes to get nearly anywhere you needed to be - so if one side bellied up to a ridge and tried to camp, they'd have nowhere to go when the enemy team rounded the end of that ridgeline and attacked them in enfilade. This confused all the (many) players who just loved Canyon Network to death for its multitude of camping spots, but if you had one team try to camp, and the other team stayed mobile, the mobile team had a noticeable tendency to win.

The map did lack sufficient high cover, which led everyone and their Clanner uncle to vote for it when they were using LRM builds (another factor that contributed to people misunderstanding the map tactically,) but all that it really needed were deeper cuts for the trails and roadways, with a few large, open-sided sheds scattered around.

There was essentially the vertical exaggeration you're talking about, but there was also the addition of several raised islands surrounding the domination circle, the interior of which is a cluster of prefabs along the lines of Frozen City Classic's buildings, and some other elevated points scattered across the map (e.g. at conquest points, in front of the assault points) in order to give some strongholds. It leads to mixed gameplay -- there's opportunities for long-range suppression fire, but also a surprisingly large number of flanking routes.

The biggest problem is that fights are almost always in the centre, and even when they're in somewhere a bit unusual (e.g. as a result of a Conquest game) there's still just an absolutely silly amount of plodding unless contact is made, because the map is huge.

#8 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 16 February 2022 - 07:39 PM

the Biggest problem in MWO and his Mechanics and Maps , the People thats not understand this and can`t handle with or try to converting Tactics from other FPS in MWO.

Thats like the American Civil War .
The old Union Generals use heres simple Tactics from the Time of the Napoleonic Flintstone -Line InfantryPeriod,and failed the first Years against modern and flexible Tactics from Confederated Generals Like R.E.Lee

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 16 February 2022 - 09:32 PM.

#9 NeoRocket

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 03:08 PM

I would love to see Polar Highlands CLASSIC brought into rotation!

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 February 2024 - 04:01 PM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 16 February 2022 - 07:39 PM, said:

the Biggest problem in MWO and his Mechanics and Maps , the People thats not understand this and can`t handle with or try to converting Tactics from other FPS in MWO.

Thats like the American Civil War .
The old Union Generals use heres simple Tactics from the Time of the Napoleonic Flintstone -Line InfantryPeriod,and failed the first Years against modern and flexible Tactics from Confederated Generals Like R.E.Lee

Actually, that's not true. Confederate military superiority is kinda part of the Lost Cause mythology - it used to be accepted history, but it's been more recently called (properly) into dispute. The myth sprung up after the war, and was tacitly accepted as a salve to the pride of Southern States, and as a way to smooth over the war and get on with the Union. The Confederacy had good generals, but so did the Union - and the Confederacy was defending its own ground, which generally costs more casualties for the attacker. Even then Grant, for example, had a better casualty ratio throughout the war than Lee.

View PostNeoRocket, on 15 February 2024 - 03:08 PM, said:

I would love to see Polar Highlands CLASSIC brought into rotation!

Not without some better LRM cover! =D

But I do miss the map.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users