Bap/cap Non-Functional In Academy?

Bug Report Issue Feedback

3 replies to this topic

#1 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:01 AM

G'Morning, PGI... Some time back in the past, I was able to choose one of my own Mechs that had BAP/CAP on it, and head to the Academy to find it would indicate 'powered down' Mechs properly. Even the ones on the switching platforms, which made it rather easy to check out loadouts without wasting time. Then some other update took that away again, when it was actually really useful to be able to sniff about and see the methodology of how it functioned. Is there any chance we could have this functionality restored, or was that unintended functionality and the BAP/CAP isn't supposed to work at all? :(

~D. V. "Have I really noticed a bug, or was BAP/CAP functioning an error?" Devnull

#2 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

Very likely a bug - your 'Mechs are supposed to operate pretty much as they do in the rest of the game - but there's no neutral team anywhere else so something may not have been updated for those.

I'll follow up. Thanks.

#3 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:21 AM

Turns out BAP detection on neutrals was removed because BAP detects only enemies and neutrals are treated as friendlies for a bunch of other reasons that are related to how neutrals are treated in code. Plus it reduces clutter in that crowded central area (and now that minimap zoom has been removed - it's even worse)

I'm of two minds on this. As you state it's a nice shortcut for seeing loadouts and there's really no other place to see BAP in use... but it does clutter things up and I'd rather detect you have BAP and throw powered down enemy 'Mechs in the Battlezone - just to make it scarier. :-)

#4 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

I would not have minded the clutter, just speaking for myself. It definitely made a good test for BAP/CAP. But if it has to be that way, I guess I'll just have to live with it. :(

As for detecting BAP and intentionally throwing Powered Down Enemy Mechs in the BattleZone Area? That feels a little mean on someone trying to test any Mech (their own, or even ones in the Academy Area) out, when you're already giving those BattleZone Enemy Mechs some serious AimBot Accuracy. Make them a little bit less easily accurate, then it will be safe to balance with ones that can surprise pilots that way without creating a "Kobayashi Maru" situation 100% of the time. :o

~D. V. "Being 'scary' is one thing... 'Always toast' is another..." Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users